collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is 6.5 Grendel enough for deer?  (Read 8360 times)

Offline 1972Pinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
Is 6.5 Grendel enough for deer?
« on: June 24, 2019, 02:03:07 PM »
Hello everyone, I’ve recently really got into the AR scene and I would really like to harvest a deer with my AR this Year. Right now I have the standard 5.56 upper but I would like to invest in a larger caliber. My typical hunting ranges are between 25-400 yards. I’m comfortable shooting offhand out to about 200 yards and prone out to the 400 mark. According to the numbers it should be more than adequate, however I would like to ask if any of you have had any personal experience hunting with the Grendel before I invest in a new upper. Thank you!

Offline linxx77

• Hunter
  • President-Washington Waterfowl Association
    • www.facebook.com/linxx77
    • Washington Waterfowl Association-Spokane Facebook
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association
Re: Is 6.5 Grendel enough for deer?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 02:17:44 PM »
I'm curious to learn more about the 6.5 as well. I had always heard that the rounds are expensive, and I don't reload. I went with 300 blackout this year, and I can't wait to test it out. I've shot all my deer with a .308, and I was looking for something a bit different. Hope it goes well for  you!
orbis non sufficit

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 02:23:44 PM »
It's plenty for deer.  Just below 308win energy 0-400yrds and better than 308win 400yrds+ and it shoots flatter with much lower recoil.  Great caliber for younger or smaller shooters.

Hit up the 65grendel forums,.  Lots of great info there and tons of people hunting with them with zero issue.  Def a good caliber to be reloading fro as ammo is not cheap, last I looked sales for the Amax was in the $1/rnd range.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 02:27:02 PM »
6.5 Grendel ammo is not really any more expensive than any good hunting round. Basspro has it for $20 box, Same price I paid for V-max.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 02:36:46 PM »
I've been playing with the grendel for my daughter. It's nice because I can run a  .223 upper on th same lower as she will hunt with and then swap over to the grendel once she is really confident in the weapon. So far I've played with 123 eldm, and 120gr ballistic tips. The BT have held MOA in 3 different seating depths using 27gr of TAC on my last trip out. I think moa is about as good as this barrel is gonna do
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 02:42:02 PM »
I've been playing with the grendel for my daughter. It's nice because I can run a  .223 upper on th same lower as she will hunt with and then swap over to the grendel once she is really confident in the weapon. So far I've played with 123 eldm, and 120gr ballistic tips. The BT have held MOA in 3 different seating depths using 27gr of TAC on my last trip out. I think moa is about as good as this barrel is gonna do

How do you like the ELDMs?

I shot a couple hundred .223 V-MAX and ELDMs on Saturday. Did not get to stretch the range out to see a difference.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 03:02:53 PM »
It's plenty for deer.  Just below 308win energy 0-400yrds and better than 308win 400yrds+ and it shoots flatter with much lower recoil.  Great caliber for younger or smaller shooters.

Hit up the 65grendel forums,.  Lots of great info there and tons of people hunting with them with zero issue.  Def a good caliber to be reloading fro as ammo is not cheap, last I looked sales for the Amax was in the $1/rnd range.

The Wolf steel casing is about $0.65/rnd. It shoots a little dirty but performs surprisingly well. I haven't noticed a big difference 300 yds and under. Over that, it might be my eyes or the ammo - no way to discern.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 03:09:00 PM »

Awesome. I have been thinking the same for my daughter. What barrel length are you running?
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 03:19:30 PM »
My buddy and I shot his 6.5 at 750 and 950 yards this past spring, we hit our target which were rocks about 2'x 2'. I was impressed, nice two stage trigger, it has me thinking! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 03:27:10 PM »

Awesome. I have been thinking the same for my daughter. What barrel length are you running?
the 6 position stock is nice for her short little arms, though she hit a growth spurt and is just about able to comfortably shoulder the ruger American. I went with an 18" because I wanted the total package to be manageable with both weight and length.  It's not lightening fast at 2,475fps but it's intended purpose is deer inside 300 yards so not much concern about the speed.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 03:28:32 PM »

How do you like the ELDMs?

I shot a couple hundred .223 V-MAX and ELDMs on Saturday. Did not get to stretch the range out to see a difference.
ruling is still out as I ran out of them before I got new powder. I've got another box coming, along with a box of 100gr m's

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 04:33:53 PM »
I have killed several big game animals with the 6.5G. Own several rifles chambered in it.
It is a very solid choice with light recoil and most are very accurate and lots of bullet choices. The 123sst has been my go to in the Grendel for hunting. I have shot about a dz different bullets and mine all seem to really like 123 bullets with the twist rates I run. For big game hunting the 100-123 probably be the better choice over some of the lighter options on the market.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 05:08:59 PM »
I'm gonna end up running 130gr Berger AR hybrids in mine just to annoy Carp  :chuckle:

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 05:42:07 PM »
The Grendel will absolutely work for deer at appropriate ranges. I consider it a 300 yard deer cartridge with most bullets but I know it will work beyond that. My little CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel accounted for 4 deer in 3 states a few years back after getting passed around like the village bicycle among a couple of HuntWA members, including the long forgotten Jay_sharkbait.

I used the 130gr Accubond but something in the 120-123gr range is probably a better fit.

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 09:30:21 PM »
It's plenty for deer.  Just below 308win energy 0-400yrds and better than 308win 400yrds+ and it shoots flatter with much lower recoil.  Great caliber for younger or smaller shooters. Hit up the 65grendel forums,.  Lots of great info there and tons of people hunting with them with zero issue.  Def a good caliber to be reloading fro as ammo is not cheap, last I looked sales for the Amax was in the $1/rnd range.

I keep hearing these high stakes claims, but have yet to figure out the loading that makes the slow 6.5 Grendel somehow better than a mid range 308.
Since we're talking hunting, let's use Nosler ballistics and look at them both sighted in at 200 yards. This is straight from the Nosler website and Sterlock Calculator.

Take the 129 grain Accubond Long Range (.530BC) 6.5 Grendel load at a maxium of 2500fps out of a 24" test barrel (not a short AR15 gas operated system) you get the following ballistics.
Muzzle is 2507fps.
200 yards you're at 2,200 fps at 1387 ft lbs of energy.
400 yards you're at 1,919 fps at 1054 ft lbs of energy, at 27.4" low.
850 yards you're at 1,371 fps at 538 ft lbs of energy, at 248" low.

The 168 grain Accubond Long Range (.525BC) in the 308 Winchester at a maximum of 2910fps again out of a 24" test barrel, you get the following ballistics.
Muzzle is 2910fps.
200 yards you're at 2,500 fps at 2,463 ft lbs of energy.
400 yards you're at 2,255 fps at 1,897 ft lbs of energy, at 19.7" low.
850 yards you're at 1,640 fps at 1,003 ft lbs of energy, at 178" low.

While the 6.5 Grendel is the weakest and slowest of any of the commercial 6.5 rounds it is plenty for deer and such sized game in a low recoiling round. A much better choice than say the 300 Whisper for distance beyond 100 yards. 

What the 6.5 Grendel is not, is superior in flight or energy to the 308 Winchester when loaded to equal pressures out of the same length of barrel. Less mass traveling at a slower speed under similar BC's does not magically increase energy.

I've put two of these uppers together. One is an amazing 1/3 MOA tack driver with the 123SST line. The other is a 4MOA that jams 2 out of 5 rounds and is still waiting for me to either Gunbroker it off or send it back.  Both are of the same brand just different models. Oddly enough, the jammer is the bull barrel model and the tack driver is a lighter barrel; go figure.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:35:30 PM by Goshawk »
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal