collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Spring bear poll

I have sent emails to wdfw requesting some form of increased spring bear opportunity
49 (98%)
I have emailed the department in opposition to increased spring bear hunting
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Spring bear changes on the table!!!  (Read 26183 times)

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Spring bear changes on the table!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 11:39:16 PM »
should be statewide spring bear season otc. I would not like to see certain GMU's open and others closed packing people in units just open all of them and keep pressure where people want to hunt. There is no reason that every unit in NE corner and the blues dont have a otc spring bear season.

There is a reason.  money.  they want the app fees.  thats why i suggested all ne units being otc, with spring licenses invalid for fall hunting.  Ne would have pressure spread out among all units, people would pay the 24 bucks or whatever for their otc spring license instead of 7 bucks for an app fee, and se and west side would all still require permit app sales.  If you have another idea that will convince them they could go otc without losing money, let em know.  But whatever your proposal, if they think it will result in a loss of revenue, it will be rejected, so keep that in mind when making your case.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 11:43:49 PM »
nothing in this state is done for wildlife its all about the mighty dollar and then they try and tell us how they manage this or that, no it boils down to dollars :rolleyes:

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 11:50:24 PM »
nothing in this state is done for wildlife its all about the mighty dollar and then they try and tell us how they manage this or that, no it boils down to dollars :rolleyes:

Exactly.  And i fully agree with you when you say spring bear should be otc statewide, that would be ideal, but im trying to come up with more realistic ideas that wont be rejected out of hand.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 12:14:49 AM »

So many pessimists on here   :rolleyes:
  Look at the first couple pages of the fall bear reg thread.  Lot of people saying i was full of crap, zero chance, etc etc.  Now its damn near a done deal.
Yeah, I know I sound like a "Negative Nancy"
But I remember the days of a otc spring bear seasons in certain areas, baiting, hounds, etc..
I have watched the "Fish and Game" department cater to special interest groups and be more concerned with their political agenda and personal financial betterment than actually managing our recreational interests (fishing/hunting)
"Watchable Wildlife" has become a focus, planter trout fishing is more important than Salmon/steelhead.
Wolves get more $$ than any of our huntable species.
Private timber companies have limited access in direct opposition of "increased landowner participation"
(Or is charging access fees participating?)
It just all seems like a sleight of hand trick to keep us spending more for less.
The WDFW should be run by sportsmen and not politicians.
Their jobs should be dependent on results and customer satisfaction.
I hope for the better, and the outlook is good, but once the shine wears off I hope we are not wishing it would be like the "good old days" of 2020...
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 08:07:11 AM »
Currently we are allowed to harvest two bears per year in Western Washington...yet there is no OTC spring bear season, which makes no sense, especially since it is used a tool to reduce tree damage and a lot of timber harvest occurs in Western Washington. Why not make an OTC spring bear season in Western Washington with a "spring bear tag" and still have the permit season in Eastern Washington...heck, WDFW can make even more money! You need to buy a Spring Bear Tag to apply for the special permits, plus the permit application fees, and also have to buy a fall bear tag if you want to hunt bears in the fall...

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 08:23:39 AM »
Currently we are allowed to harvest two bears per year in Western Washington...yet there is no OTC spring bear season, which makes no sense, especially since it is used a tool to reduce tree damage and a lot of timber harvest occurs in Western Washington. Why not make an OTC spring bear season in Western Washington with a "spring bear tag" and still have the permit season in Eastern Washington...heck, WDFW can make even more money! You need to buy a Spring Bear Tag to apply for the special permits, plus the permit application fees, and also have to buy a fall bear tag if you want to hunt bears in the fall...

Grade

This right here!  I would gladly buy separate spring and fall bear tags for the opportunity to buy a spring bear tag OTC.  Whether you take 2 in the fall or 1 in the spring and 1 in the fall, 2 bears is 2 bears, which has always left me scratching my head as to why there's no OTC spring season in W. WA.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 09:01:18 AM »
Honestly spring bear should be otc in every gmu in the state with quota system similar to cougar quotas.The only reason it's not is money from spring permits kinda like doubling down on money.If WDFW managed wildlife as good as there pocket book we could have some great hunting.

Another truth is if we see second bear tags in eastern wa in 2019 my jaw is gonna be dragging on the ground. And will be only ccause of some added revenues.

Agree with this statement :tup:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 09:19:22 AM »
I'd love an otc spring bear season. I can't get myself worked up to hunt turkeys so being able to get after a bear in spring gets me out in the woods which is good for everyone lol email sent.
This is a great idea and as was said keep some areas in a draw only.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 10:11:45 AM »
should be statewide spring bear season otc. I would not like to see certain GMU's open and others closed packing people in units just open all of them and keep pressure where people want to hunt. There is no reason that every unit in NE corner and the blues dont have a otc spring bear season.
Agreed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 10:14:47 AM »

There is a reason.  money.  they want the app fees.  thats why i suggested all ne units being otc, with spring licenses invalid for fall hunting.  Ne would have pressure spread out among all units, people would pay the 24 bucks or whatever for their otc spring license instead of 7 bucks for an app fee, and se and west side would all still require permit app sales.  If you have another idea that will convince them they could go otc without losing money, let em know.  But whatever your proposal, if they think it will result in a loss of revenue, it will be rejected, so keep that in mind when making your case.
How about state wide OTC spring bear tags. With the opportunity to apply for a "quality" permit that would allow you to hunt the whole month of June. Which would make it a rut hunt like deer and elk quality tags are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 11:16:54 AM »
I would love an otc spring bear season or at least special draw in most units. Is bringing back bear baiting totally out of the question at this point? Also all for a wide open cougar season like coyote.

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 11:54:46 AM »
Needs to be over the counter spring and fall
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »
Is bringing back bear baiting totally out of the question at this point?

As far as asking wdfw to bring it back, yes, totally out of the question.  The ban on baiting is state law, not wdfw policy.  Wdfw does not have legal authority to restore baiting or hounds.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 12:14:27 PM »

As far as asking wdfw to bring it back, yes, totally out of the question.  The ban on baiting is state law, not wdfw policy.  Wdfw does not have legal authority to restore baiting or hounds.

So then, the Hound Season we had ~10 years ago was brought on by initiative?
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2019, 12:19:26 PM »

So then, the Hound Season we had ~10 years ago was brought on by initiative?

I dont know how the hell that was possible, but it obviously got squashed.  If you want to waste your breath asking wdfw to bring back hounds, be my guest.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]