collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Spring bear poll

I have sent emails to wdfw requesting some form of increased spring bear opportunity
49 (98%)
I have emailed the department in opposition to increased spring bear hunting
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Spring bear changes on the table!!!  (Read 26197 times)

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Spring bear changes on the table!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2019, 07:25:14 PM »
Is bringing back bear baiting totally out of the question at this point?

As far as asking wdfw to bring it back, yes, totally out of the question.  The ban on baiting is state law, not wdfw policy.  Wdfw does not have legal authority to restore baiting or hounds.

So then, the Hound Season we had ~10 years ago was brought on by initiative?

I dont know how the hell that was possible, but it obviously got squashed.  If you want to waste your breath asking wdfw to bring back hounds, be my guest.

I’m not questioning you. Don’t let your panties get bunched up.  :chuckle:  too soon?

I think it’s important that we keep this forward motion moving.
If there’s a chance to get baiting or hounds back, I’d love to explore it. That’s all I’m wondering.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2019, 07:43:47 PM »

As far as asking wdfw to bring it back, yes, totally out of the question.  The ban on baiting is state law, not wdfw policy.  Wdfw does not have legal authority to restore baiting or hounds.
There is wording in the law to allow special permits by WDFW, that is how private timber companies are allowed to do it.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2019, 08:14:27 PM »

There is wording in the law to allow special permits by WDFW, that is how private timber companies are allowed to do it.

Sounds like a special draw baiting/hound permit to me, not that I'm in a position to take advantage of either.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 12:27:34 PM »

Sounds like a special draw baiting/hound permit to me, not that I'm in a position to take advantage of either.

Special draw bear baiting tag would be a good start.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2019, 12:42:55 PM »
If you guys want baiting, hounds, all that, id suggest you make that an entirely separate issue with the department.  Whats on the table now is changes to spring bear season.  Dates, permit numbers, etc.  I think it would be best if any emails sent in right now focused on the matter currently at hand, spring bear regulations.  That is what they are open to making changes to right now.  If theyre getting a bunch of emails about a bunch of other random stuff like baiting and hounds, its just going to be a mess of background noise that i feel will take away from the effect of a generally unified voice pushing for the same thing, increased spring opportunity.  focus on what is currently in reach, worry about the other stuff next, after we get this.   :twocents:

We will have more of an effect if everybody is asking for more or less the same thing, and will be taken more seriously if we are asking for something that is actually up for review.

Send emails supporting expanded spring bear opportunity to:

Commission@dfw.wa.gov
Wildthing@dfw.wa.gov
Director@dfw.wa.gov
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:17:19 PM by Bango skank »

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
If you guys want baiting, hounds, all that, id suggest you make that an entirely separate issue with the department.  Whats on the table now is changes to spring bear season.  Dates, permit numbers, etc.  I think it would be best if any emails sent in right now focused on the matter currently currently at hand, spring bear regulations.  That is what they are open to making changes to currently.  If theyre getting a bunch of emails about a bunch of other random stuff like baiting and hounds, its just going to be a mess of background noise that i feel will take away from the effect of a generally unified voice pushing for the same thing, increased spring opportunity.  focus on what is currently in reach, worry about the other stuff next, after we get this.   :twocents:

I agree 100%.  They'll listen to ideas about Spring Bear; get it while we can.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2019, 11:03:40 PM »
If you guys want baiting, hounds, all that, id suggest you make that an entirely separate issue with the department.  Whats on the table now is changes to spring bear season.  Dates, permit numbers, etc.  I think it would be best if any emails sent in right now focused on the matter currently at hand, spring bear regulations.  That is what they are open to making changes to right now.  If theyre getting a bunch of emails about a bunch of other random stuff like baiting and hounds, its just going to be a mess of background noise that i feel will take away from the effect of a generally unified voice pushing for the same thing, increased spring opportunity.  focus on what is currently in reach, worry about the other stuff next, after we get this.   :twocents:

We will have more of an effect if everybody is asking for more or less the same thing, and will be taken more seriously if we are asking for something that is actually up for review.

Commission@dfw.wa.gov
Wildthing@dfw.wa.gov
Director@dfw.wa.gov
I agree  :yeah:.It would be awesome to have baiting and hounds again but if we want it we need to get there first.
OTC tags spring and fall would be a great start.We want (i hope all of us)the bears to have good numbers not to many and not too few either.Before we bring baiting and hounds to the table we need to get some numbers (true numbers) of how many bears that is.If we have over that amount and we hunters can't get them down to that number without baiting or hounds then and only then can we even have a discussion about it.  :twocents: MUDDYING THE WATER WILL NOT GET US ANYWHERE ON ANYTHING.How many on here in WA. even have hounds to hunt bear?
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2019, 01:45:30 AM »

Commission@dfw.wa.gov
Wildthing@dfw.wa.gov
Director@dfw.wa.gov
I agree  :yeah:.It would be awesome to have baiting and hounds again but if we want it we need to get there first.
OTC tags spring and fall would be a great start.We want (i hope all of us)the bears to have good numbers not to many and not too few either.Before we bring baiting and hounds to the table we need to get some numbers (true numbers) of how many bears that is.If we have over that amount and we hunters can't get them down to that number without baiting or hounds then and only then can we even have a discussion about it.  :twocents: MUDDYING THE WATER WILL NOT GET US ANYWHERE ON ANYTHING.How many on here in WA. even have hounds to hunt bear?
Ill bet a lot of guys would get hounds if they could use them.

Offline WildlifeAssassin

• Past Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2019, 08:58:54 AM »
Spring bear was discussed on the commission conference call today. They stated they have received lots of comments and were excited that people care and are getting involved. KEEP SENDING COMMENTS! They absolutely do pay attention to our comments but they can’t read your mind so please write in.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »
Our voices were heard and we got the fall bear regs change, now lets keep it up and get the spring regs improved too! Send those emails!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
Our voices were heard and we got the fall bear regs change, now lets keep it up and get the spring regs improved too! Send those emails!
is it official now?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2019, 09:47:19 AM »
Yes!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2019, 10:05:40 AM »
Wow, I’m shocked!  Good job everyone and thanks Wdfw!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2019, 11:13:25 AM »
I will be sending emails asking that spring bear hunts get opened up in most GMU's even if only on a limited basis, 10 permits if that is all the population can take in some units.  I am sure they figure not everyone with a permit will harvest.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »

Sorry for derailment - does that take effect next year or this year? Regulations are the same as of right now which is why I'm asking

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]