collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Spring bear poll

I have sent emails to wdfw requesting some form of increased spring bear opportunity
49 (98%)
I have emailed the department in opposition to increased spring bear hunting
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Spring bear changes on the table!!!  (Read 26215 times)

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Spring bear changes on the table!!!
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
Our voices were heard and we got the fall bear regs change, now lets keep it up and get the spring regs improved too! Send those emails!

Sorry for derailment - does that take effect next year or this year? Regulations are the same as of right now which is why I'm asking

This year.  It was just approved on friday.  Official notices should be put out soon.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »
Its monday, people are in the office at wdfw, if you havent sent emails supporting additional spring bear opportunity, get on it!
Commission@dfw.wa.gov
Director@dfw.wa.gov
Wildthing@dfw.wa.gov

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2019, 02:07:20 PM »
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2019, 02:22:33 PM »
https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/commission-approves-changes-fall-bear-hunting-rules

The changes will take effect Aug. 1, 2019.

Thanks for posting that, i hadnt seen it yet.  Surprised i didnt get it in an email.  Ill post that link on the fall bear reg thread.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2019, 02:28:19 PM »
 :tup:
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2019, 03:07:45 PM »
https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/commission-approves-changes-fall-bear-hunting-rules

The changes will take effect Aug. 1, 2019.

Thanks for posting that, i hadnt seen it yet.  Surprised i didnt get it in an email.  Ill post that link on the fall bear reg thread.

The email just now came through for me.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »
 :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2019, 04:28:31 PM »
What are the changes for spring bear, when are they supposed to come out???
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2019, 04:40:08 PM »

There aren’t any changes for spring bear yet.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2019, 05:11:11 PM »

There aren’t any changes for spring bear yet.
true, I’m wondering if the possible changes are in print?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2019, 06:34:02 PM »

I believe the proposal will be announced and opened for public comment in september, which leads me to believe the proposed changes havent been finalized yet.  this is why its important that we all contact wdfw now to tell them what we want, before the possible changes are set in stone.  if you look at the screenshot in the first post of this thread, it just says "season dates and permit numbers." It says nothing about additional units opening or otc opportunities.  we need to be loud and persistent so that we can change that.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2019, 10:52:44 PM »

I believe the proposal will be announced and opened for public comment in september, which leads me to believe the proposed changes havent been finalized yet.  this is why its important that we all contact wdfw now to tell them what we want, before the possible changes are set in stone.  if you look at the screenshot in the first post of this thread, it just says "season dates and permit numbers." It says nothing about additional units opening or otc opportunities.  we need to be loud and persistent so that we can change that.
agreed and I’m already at work lobbying the internet.  Other than a jerk hounds man we got lots of folks want otc spring bear season
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2019, 11:50:31 PM »

agreed and I’m already at work lobbying the internet.  Other than a jerk hounds man we got lots of folks want otc spring bear season

Theres going to be at least one jerk in every crowd.  See the above poll in both this thread and the fall bear reg thread for proof.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2019, 12:45:31 AM »
Spring bear harvest statistics for 2018:  A total of 781 permits were issued, out of which only 97 bears were reported taken.  Unit 117, which had 100 permits issued, only had 6 bears harvested.  Unit 121, which also had 100 permits issued, only had 10 bears taken.  Several SE and west side hunts had 0 bears taken.  I think it's clear that we can at least increase permit numbers, if not go to outright OTC.  Especially considering we have a 2 bear statewide limit now, and a spring bear does count towards that bag limit.  If we are all allowed to kill 2 bears in the fall, I don't see why everybody shouldn't have the option to take one of those in the spring instead.  The benefit being that the bear taken in the spring season will not be killing any fawns or calves that year, whereas if we must wait until fall to kill that bear, it has already had that one more season to impact our ungulate population.
 Our bears will not be wiped out.  Right next door in Idaho they have otc spring bear, baiting, hound hunting, second bear tags, and lots of out of state hunters to boot, and they sure haven't extirpated their bears even with all of that.  Not by a long shot.

Take a look at the "permits issued" vs "number of hunters." Across the board, all northeast units, about 50% of permit holders did not even participate in the hunt!  Half of all successful applicants didnt even bother trying! An otc season, running from april 1st to june 15th will not result in massive pressure and crowded woods like a short modern firearm deer season does.  Hunter numbers would not be all that high, and they would be spread out over a greater period of time, unlike modern deer or elk where everybody hits the woods on the same day.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 03:45:00 AM by Bango skank »

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2019, 01:41:41 AM »

A lot of us have been really apathetic about this stuff for a long time, feeling like positive changes cant be made.  Hopefully our success with the fall bear and bag limit proposal will change that, and get more people to step up and participate since its been shown that positive change is in fact possible if we show enough support.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal