collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Spring bear poll

I have sent emails to wdfw requesting some form of increased spring bear opportunity
49 (98%)
I have emailed the department in opposition to increased spring bear hunting
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Spring bear changes on the table!!!  (Read 26200 times)

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
Re: Spring bear changes on the table!!!
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2019, 02:58:10 PM »
It really isn’t much of a burden. Taxis already send in teeth, hair is even easier. The state already has the labs, tech and people to do it. It would cost more but if they made spring bear an actual quality hunt with units statewide and appropriate numbers of tags I would have no problem paying the extra 6 bucks for a quality app.

We have been given the chance to get bear populations in check with 2 tags statewide and 3 1/2 months in the fall to fill said tags. I view spring as an opportunity to get out during a different season and put some pressure on the predators so they can’t just camp on fawning grounds with impunity.

I also recognize you’re coming from the perspective of the NE. I love your trail cam thread and obviously the area needs lots of hunter attention. I think you would be well suited to speak at a commission meeting with a slide show to prove this is an issue

You're also assuming people take bears to a taxi.  I've taken less than 10% of the bears I've ever harvested to a taxi. 

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »
It really isn’t much of a burden. Taxis already send in teeth, hair is even easier. The state already has the labs, tech and people to do it. It would cost more but if they made spring bear an actual quality hunt with units statewide and appropriate numbers of tags I would have no problem paying the extra 6 bucks for a quality app.

We have been given the chance to get bear populations in check with 2 tags statewide and 3 1/2 months in the fall to fill said tags. I view spring as an opportunity to get out during a different season and put some pressure on the predators so they can’t just camp on fawning grounds with impunity.

I also recognize you’re coming from the perspective of the NE. I love your trail cam thread and obviously the area needs lots of hunter attention. I think you would be well suited to speak at a commission meeting with a slide show to prove this is an issue

You're also assuming people take bears to a taxi.  I've taken less than 10% of the bears I've ever harvested to a taxi.

Yup.  Especially with august being open, more guys will be taking bears with hides that arent really worth saving, and just keeping meat / skull / claws.  and a guy can clean up skulls and claws himself.  Can also just send a hide in to an out of state tannery if you just want the tanned hide, no rug or mount or anything.

The only 2 ways to make sure people report would be massively increasing the non reporting fee, or not allowing people to buy a license the following year if they dont report.  and even then, whats to stop people from falsely reporting as unsuccessful in order to keep the quotas up? It just wouldnt work.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 03:31:57 PM by Bango skank »

Offline WildlifeAssassin

• Past Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2019, 03:36:12 PM »
This is true. The reporting issue is another long issue that is probably taking away from the intended purpose of the thread, so I concede that isn’t a way to fix reporting issues.

Don’t forget to send an email encouraging more spring bear opportunity in one form or another.

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2019, 06:57:50 PM »
This is true. The reporting issue is another long issue that is probably taking away from the intended purpose of the thread, so I concede that isn’t a way to fix reporting issues.

Don’t forget to send an email encouraging more spring bear opportunity in one form or another.

Done!  :)

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2019, 02:16:12 PM »
This weekend would be a good time to get more emails out for anybody who hasnt done so yet, have those inboxes flooded when everybody comes back from their holiday weekend.

Commission@dfw.wa.gov
Director@dfw.wa.gov
Wildthing@dfw.wa.gov
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 03:32:54 PM by Bango skank »

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2019, 11:55:53 AM »
This weekend would be a good time to get more emails out for anybody who hasnt done so yet, have those inboxes flooded when everybody comes back from their holiday weekend.

Commission@dfw.wa.gov
Director@dfw.wa.gov
Wildthing@dfw.wa.gov

Just a reminder

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2019, 11:18:08 AM »
From an email i received today:
  Thank you for your email and concerns, I will pass them on to the carnivore section manager in the Game Division.  I will be filing the CR-102 on or before August 7, 2019.  This will detail the changes in the WAC that the agency will be proposing and also will initiate public comment.  At this time, the agency is still gathering information from our regional biologists and others to develop the recommendations. 

So we will know what the proposed changes are in less than a month, but they are not finalized yet, so if you have ideas that you want wdfw to consider, get those emails sent!
 Commission@dfw.wa.gov
 Wildthing@dfw.wa.gov
 Director@dfw.wa.gov

Offline WildlifeAssassin

• Past Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2019, 06:44:44 PM »
Less than a month to get comments in...

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2019, 11:58:57 PM »
Less than a month to get comments in...

Less than a month before the proposal is finalized anyway.  Official public comment period doesnt start until then.  What we have all been doing is sending them unsolicited advice in the hopes that they will cave to our whining and be more generous with the reg changes  :chuckle:

Once the proposal is made, then the official public comment period begins and we will all have to comment again, for or against.  at that point, it will be a "what you see is what you get, take it or leave it" situation, so if its any improvement at all, we need to support it or get nothing.  hopefully they are going to give us a good increase in opportunity after all the noise we have been making.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:50:36 AM by Bango skank »

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2019, 04:24:24 AM »
If you want to get your  :twocents: in with wdfw before the spring bear proposal is finalized, you better get on it soon.
  Commission@dfw.wa.gov
Wildthing@dfw.wa.gov
Director@dfw.wa.gov

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2019, 04:23:32 PM »
This is why its important that we all contact wdfw and ask for increased spring bear opportunity.  Even if you dont personally want to hunt bear, if you want to hunt deer, elk and/or moose, increasing bear harvest benefits you by benefitting our ungulate populations!  https://collaboration.idfg.idaho.gov/WildlifeTechnicalReports/W-160-R-33-31%20Completion.pdf

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »
This is why its important that we all contact wdfw and ask for increased spring bear opportunity.  Even if you dont personally want to hunt bear, if you want to hunt deer, elk and/or moose, increasing bear harvest benefits you by benefitting our ungulate populations!  https://collaboration.idfg.idaho.gov/WildlifeTechnicalReports/W-160-R-33-31%20Completion.pdf
:yeah: Agreed need to get bear populations down. All predator numbers for that matter
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline skagitsteel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/ryan.gaither.908
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2019, 04:52:20 PM »

Time to whack some bears! I have been guilty of letting a lot of bears walk away and am changing my tune and going to try and help see as many tags filled as I can this year.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2019, 03:24:35 PM »
Supposedly we will hear what the proposed changes are by wednesday.

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »
Tagging along and hoping for a good change.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]