collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Spring bear poll

I have sent emails to wdfw requesting some form of increased spring bear opportunity
49 (98%)
I have emailed the department in opposition to increased spring bear hunting
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Spring bear changes on the table!!!  (Read 26207 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Spring bear changes on the table!!!
« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »
Please don't take this the wrong way or me being snarky, but you guys can't be surprised by this outcome?!?!  They would have had to do an complete 180 on predator management plans that they have been following for a very long time now.  I'm not surprised at this at all.  They don't want you to kill predators in WA.  More predators equal less game animals which ends up equaling less hunters in the field.  Stuff more and more of you into smaller and smaller game units to chase after fewer and fewer game animals. 
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #151 on: September 04, 2019, 03:15:51 PM »
Please don't take this the wrong way or me being snarky, but you guys can't be surprised by this outcome?!?!  They would have had to do an complete 180 on predator management plans that they have been following for a very long time now.  I'm not surprised at this at all.  They don't want you to kill predators in WA.  More predators equal less game animals which ends up equaling less hunters in the field.  Stuff more and more of you into smaller and smaller game units to chase after fewer and fewer game animals.

Yeah, but our big win with the fall bear regs really made me optimistic.  Im hoping our new cougar proposal wont be a giant disappointment like the spring bear proposal, but it most likely will be.  Cougars rank even higher on the cuddly wuddly index to the antis.   :tree1:

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2019, 01:19:43 AM »
Meetind during rifle deer, oct 18 / 19.  Has to be intentional.

The commission will also hear a briefing and public comment on proposed amendments to the spring black bear rule (WAC 220-415-080). The proposed amendments include minor permit adjustments in southeast Washington GMUs, mandatory check in of bears harvested, and some boundary clarifications.

During Saturday's meeting, staff will brief the commission on current cougar management. The briefing will include how the department currently manages cougars, the science behind it and comparison to neighboring states.

A full agenda is available online at wdfw.wa.gov/about/commission/meetings. TVW will live stream the meetings at tvw.org/watch/?eventID=2019101048 (Friday) and tvw.org/watch/?eventID=2019101051 (Saturday).

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2019, 02:03:26 PM »
I highly doubt it since its mf deer, but is anybody here at the meeting today or going tomorrow?

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2019, 03:54:05 PM »
At work today. What was said about the spring bear changes and are you going to be there again tomorrow for the cougar talk?
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2019, 04:06:06 PM »
Im not there, im floating around on the bering sea.  Thats why im asking if anybody is there.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2019, 04:09:08 PM »
Im not there, im floating around on the bering sea.  Thats why im asking if anybody is there.
:tup:  I think you missed a "t" in your original post.  It read "...is anybody here.."  Be safe out there.  We are having some stormy weather here.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »
I see how what i typed could have been interpreted like that.  I meant is anybody here, as in, is anybody on this website, at the meeting.

Offline snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
`
« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2019, 07:34:27 AM »
The 2 bear limit and August opener is one of the most significant changes to Washington hunting regs to occur in the last 20 years in my opinion. 

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
Re: `
« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2019, 12:46:38 PM »
The 2 bear limit and August opener is one of the most significant changes to Washington hunting regs to occur in the last 20 years in my opinion.

I agree, and thats why i was optimistic about getting some substantial spring season improvements.  Pretty disappointed with the spring proposal, but still the august / 2 bear thing has given us what we need to manage bears more effectively.  Would be really nice though to be able to take one of those 2 in the spring every year.  I just dont see why we shouldnt be able to. 

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #160 on: October 19, 2019, 01:20:57 PM »
So nobody here is attending the meeting today or yesterday?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2019, 07:07:11 AM »
https://www.tvw.org/watch/?clientID=9375922947&eventID=2019101051

,start about the 30 min mark

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2019, 12:13:33 PM »
Anything of significance said? What was the general mood of the speakers there in olympia during mf deer season ?  :rolleyes:  what was said about cougars?  I cant watch video on my crappy satellite wifi, im in dutch harbor.

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2019, 02:42:36 PM »
Anything of significance said? What was the general mood of the speakers there in olympia during mf deer season ?  :rolleyes:  what was said about cougars?  I cant watch video on my crappy satellite wifi, im in dutch harbor.

I watched it. I don't know if I have a good understanding of where the commission is at so I could be reading it wrong, but it seems like they are pretty concerned about the rise in conflict with cougars and they are encouraging a new look at the cougar management plan. One commissioner noted the math regarding 12-16% population growth and harvest target and said we aren't killing enough cougars by the numbers. All of it was based on the scientific estimation of the number of cougars in the state. Lots of talk about scientific uncertainty on how to take and manage cougars but for some reason no uncertainty on the estimation of how many we actually have. Generally it seemed like a step in the right direction but there were some very weird comments from commissioners I don't understand, including a strong recommendation to keep public safety and hunting as two complete separate things. I didn't get that. 

Bob McCoy was the only citizen that commented. He said the problem is we are hunting too many cougars.

Lots of public comment from the bass fishing crowd, didn't see anything other public comments on cougar hunting but I might have missed it.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »
McCoy doesnt sound like he is a sportsmen, nor does it sound like his  organization is...

https://mountainlion.org/aboutboard.php
Bob McCoy

Chair
Issaquah, Washington

Bob started researching Puma concolor and joined the Mountain Lion Foundation in 2009. The following year, he testified against the Washington Cougar Hounding Pilot Program, formed the Washington Cougar Coalition (WA Cougar), and became the Foundation's Washington State Field Representative. Since then, he and volunteers have repeatedly stopped bills that would have harmed cougars. In 2013, Bob represented the Foundation on a panel at the 13th Mountain Lion Workshops in Utah. In 2015, Bob spurred WA Cougar to appeal the Washington Commission's failure to follow proper procedure in setting cougar hunting guidelines. Led by HSUS lawyers, we achieved the first overturn of a citizen commission ruling by a governor in state history. The Commission returned in 2016 to the prior hunting quota. Bob is now working to keep the state from taking measures against cougars in retaliation for the successful return of wolves to Washington. Bob McCoy became a member of the Board of Directors in July 2016.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Deadeyety
[Today at 05:12:44 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw