collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's your favorite archery target?  (Read 11561 times)

Offline smithkl42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/smithkl42/
    • Would-BeTheologian
Re: What's your favorite archery target?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »
For just field tips those Hurricane bags work great and will last many years. ( I shoot about 10-20 arrows a day for about 6 months a year)

I have yet to find a target that holds up for more than 1 to 2 seasons of broadhead targets?  What say you folks?? Are the Rineharts just as good for broadheads?

Since January, I've shot several thousand arrows at my Rinehart, maybe a few dozen of them broadheads. It's mostly falling apart at this point - of the six major sides, four of them have been shot clean through, with the rubber falling out in big clumps, and it's starting to lose its shape. It's frankly not bad - it's probably held up better than anything else I've tried (haven't tried a Matrix), but it's certainly not gonna last a full year.
"Marriage is a duel to the death, which no man of honor should decline." - GKC

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 04:10:29 PM »
I use round bales of hay, got lots to choose from  :chuckle:

I did find that the wetter ones work best, some of them were baled from damper areas that are slower to dry than the rest of the field, so I grab those.

Offline Sutherland

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 06:54:19 PM »
Thanks for all the great input everyone, I really appreciate it!!!can't wait to get out there this season. I've been shooting everyday. Time to go get a new target.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 07:22:06 PM »
For just field tips those Hurricane bags work great and will last many years. ( I shoot about 10-20 arrows a day for about 6 months a year)

I have yet to find a target that holds up for more than 1 to 2 seasons of broadhead targets?  What say you folks?? Are the Rineharts just as good for broadheads?
Make sure to get the one with the replaceable core They make two that look identical in pictures, but only one has the removable core. (think it is the "xl"?)  Then be sure to only shoot broadheads at that core.  That way when it dies, you buy a new core to slide in and off you go.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »

Make sure to get the one with the replaceable core They make two that look identical in pictures, but only one has the removable core. (think it is the "xl"?)  Then be sure to only shoot broadheads at that core.  That way when it dies, you buy a new core to slide in and off you go.

Geez Larry, you know you can shoot arrows at that thing don’t ya?  It looks like you’re just using it for a coffee table I your den  :chuckle:
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline brocka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 07:32:34 PM »

Again. Matrix. I bet I have 300 - 400 broadheads in it, maybe more. No real signs of it. I'm telling you guys. I was a rhinehart guy for a long time...never again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 08:58:56 AM »
Rinehart block, hands down. 18” I believe. Replace the core every two years.

:yeah: and 24"
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Jeeper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 09:55:46 AM »
20 plus years ago I used compressed cedar bail butts, made for archery. I would stack two of them for a huge back drop. You could get them at feed stores. They lasted for years. I was shooting a PSE Magnaflight with 48" laminated maple limbs! A blazing 225 FPS!  Still the most accurate bow I have ever shot.

I wonder how those bails would stop todays fast bows with skinny arrows?

Offline Johnny Doe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 01:01:53 PM »

Again. Matrix. I bet I have 300 - 400 broadheads in it, maybe more. No real signs of it. I'm telling you guys. I was a rhinehart guy for a long time...never again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm looking into Matrix.  Thanks all!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »
A have this one that has been holding up pretty well for field points.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Rinehart-Rhino-Bag-Target/1579209.uts?productVariantId=3466014&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03656996&rid=20&ds_rl=1246591&ds_rl=1247873&ds_rl=1247876&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi5Tm_MSK4wIVkchkCh1qLQ-5EAQYASABEgKXg_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It has a zipper close and whenever I get a pass through I stuff a bunch of plastic bags, sheet plastic, rags, or whatever I have on hand in there and it's good to go.

I have this one for broadheads, works perfect but getting arrows out is no fun.  I haven't used it much as I only shoot a few broadheads a year to check tune.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/archery/archery-targets/foam-block-bag-burlap-targets/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104624280/i/103978980/cabelas-game-taker-target/1603967.uts?slotId=0

Offline Hot Lunch

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 09:14:28 AM »
For field tips I have picked up the big hurricane bag from sportsmans warehouse. I only use my rinehart 18-1 for broadheads or in camp.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »
20 plus years ago I used compressed cedar bail butts, made for archery. I would stack two of them for a huge back drop. You could get them at feed stores. They lasted for years. I was shooting a PSE Magnaflight with 48" laminated maple limbs! A blazing 225 FPS!  Still the most accurate bow I have ever shot.

I wonder how those bails would stop todays fast bows with skinny arrows?
Probably fine, not a huge difference in penetration like you'd think.  My bow is a 30in draw at 71lbs bowtech realm x shooting high ke arrows and I get maybe an inch deeper than a 28 draw bowtech shooting speed arrows at 60 some lbs draw weight. Was shocked at the lack of difference in total penetration. Mine hits like a hammer and rocks the target more, I think it would blow trough a shoulder and keep going

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »

Geez Larry, you know you can shoot arrows at that thing don’t ya?  It looks like you’re just using it for a coffee table I your den  :chuckle:
Yah yah.  It is the BH box.  Didn't hunt archery last year after I bought it, so never shot BH at it!  :-p  I shoot all my field points at the bulldog outside in the shed.

Yes collecting dust again this year most likely.  Crossing fingers for AZ draw happening as we speak.

Online dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2019, 05:56:57 PM »
Here’s my 36x36 big boy target. A 1,000 arrows or so into it. Perfect home range target. 175$

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2019, 11:07:00 AM »
Can hardly miss with this one! But if you shoot too high..... it's a real pain to pull the arrows.  :chuckle:
Doug
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]