collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Antelope horns  (Read 2968 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Antelope horns
« on: June 10, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »
Looking for advice on how to make them not stink.

Thanks

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
Re: Antelope horns
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 10:22:33 AM »
I have some that are almost 10 years old and they still have that goat/farm animal smell to them.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline daddysprad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 10:35:18 AM »
If you clean up the skull plate with a bench grinder the smell will be so bad you won't notice the horns anymore.   :chuckle:  Actually, I sprayed mine down with fabreeze everyday for a week and unless you stick them up to your nose they're pretty tame smelling...

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 12:03:14 PM »
Runamuk,
Did you pop the horns off the skull? Because they are horns they come off the carapace of the skull. In between the skull carapace and the horns is a rubber type sheath that if not removed by either bugs or boiling the horns will stink to no end as that ‘sheath’ will rot inside the horns. Clean it off then bondo or hot glue the horns back on the cleaned carapace.
If you did do this and they still stink it’s probably the skull that’s putting off the smell of the trapped grease. You can either simmer it with s handful of soda ash but you would want to remove the horns first.
If all of this has been done a really easy want to get rid of that Snell is scrub the horns down with soap and hit water, let dry, and then buy some standard scent killer like the primos brand or similar and soak those babies with it and let it dry. When all dry take a clean rag and put a wetting amount of WD40 and wipe em’ down and let them dry...should take care of it. Good luck! Joel/BRT
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 06:44:00 PM »
Thank you this is a bag of horns on carapace that was removed from antelope and nothing else. I will give the person a heads up. Her car smells pretty rank. She wants to offload them but doesnt want to stink up my shop. 😂😂😂

Online zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 08:26:36 PM »
I remember finding a big Antelope skull while Elk hunting in Idaho. Wanted to pack it out but it stunk so bad I left it
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 08:34:16 PM »
 :o if Run says they smell bad then they must smell bad bad bad. I know her nose has had some rank up in it from her glory days of college co-ed and rainbow feet all night parties and god knows what that smelled like. >:(

:chuckle:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 08:38:16 PM »
 :chuckle:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 08:43:07 PM »
Thank you this is a bag of horns on carapace that was removed from antelope and nothing else. I will give the person a heads up. Her car smells pretty rank. She wants to offload them but doesnt want to stink up my shop. 😂😂😂
I happen to know a high school teacher about 40 miles away that would take them off her hands for his classroom... :rolleyes:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 05:23:22 PM »
I happen to know a high school teacher about 40 miles away that would take them off her hands for his classroom... :rolleyes:
Dude there are some good uns in there. I already scored a nice muley rack. And have ny sights on one of the antelope.

Just cuz I was a skunk trapper and a squatch hunter does not make me the knower of rank. They are not as bad as a gut truck on a hot summer day.

I appreciate all the help will update as the adventure unfolds.

Did I mention my friend is from Montana and apparently they kill a lot of critters over there.

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 06:30:51 PM »
Dude there are some good uns in there. I already scored a nice muley rack. And have ny sights on one of the antelope.

Just cuz I was a skunk trapper and a squatch hunter does not make me the knower of rank. They are not as bad as a gut truck on a hot summer day.

Did I mention my friend is from Montana and apparently they kill a lot of critters over there.

You just need to embrace the aroma.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 09:39:28 PM »

You just need to embrace the aroma.

:yeah: just think of what dan-o had to endure when he 1st went to the feet-in-laws. >:(
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 08:14:32 AM »

That's because God lives in Montana and he gifts wild game to anyone who is willing to move there, brave the winters and try to make a living... ;)
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]