collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho Elk 50-1  (Read 3958 times)

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
Idaho Elk 50-1
« on: June 26, 2019, 02:14:53 PM »
Nephew drew a 50-1 Idaho Elk tag.  He asked if I'd join him and I couldn't be happier to help.  He's a Idaho kid, so I don't see him very often.

I've been in the Pioneer a few times chasing animals in early September, and know it pretty well, but any tips would be greatly appreciated. 
Mostly looking for input on elk movement in early Oct,  the timing isn't my usual Elk season. Bulls still chasing cows, batched up, hiding out, up high, down in the ag, etc...

No spots needed, just insight into their usual activity/movements once the mad house of general archery season ends.

Thanks

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Idaho Elk 50-1
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 02:34:20 PM »
Is it the early tag?
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 02:37:08 PM »

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 02:50:09 PM »
It's a rut tag you can use a rifle on with almost no other hunters around, hunt accordingly.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 03:00:43 PM »
Look high and for open country...you'll have over 1,000 archery hunters hammering that unit right up until the day your season opens - so elk have been pressured, chased, shot at etc...and so safety from bowhunters from the elks perspective often involves areas that are hard to reach and wide open.  Don't be discouraged if you roll in a few days early and feel like there are camps of hunters everywhere...they will nearly all disappear on your 'opening day'.  Fun tag!
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 03:46:05 PM »
Look high and for open country...you'll have over 1,000 archery hunters hammering that unit right up until the day your season opens - so elk have been pressured, chased, shot at etc...and so safety from bowhunters from the elks perspective often involves areas that are hard to reach and wide open.  Don't be discouraged if you roll in a few days early and feel like there are camps of hunters everywhere...they will nearly all disappear on your 'opening day'.  Fun tag!

Thanks

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 05:34:21 PM »
Big bulls will still have cows but close to leaving them and looking for single cows in heat. I missed a 360" Bull in the Pioneers on the 2nd to last day of Archery Elk. On the first day of Rifle a guy shot him in the basin I left him in on the last day. I knew a rifle guy would get him

Where we hunt a 360" ( in fact the biggest I have seen there) is huge with the average herd Bull between 290" and 320"

Good luck on your hunt
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 07:23:07 PM »
Big bulls will still have cows but close to leaving them and looking for single cows in heat. I missed a 360" Bull in the Pioneers on the 2nd to last day of Archery Elk. On the first day of Rifle a guy shot him in the basin I left him in on the last day. I knew a rifle guy would get him

Where we hunt a 360" ( in fact the biggest I have seen there) is huge with the average herd Bull between 290" and 320"

Good luck on your hunt

Thanks

I’m hoping we can hear some bugles.  He’s never hunted Elk in the rut, so he’s excited to say the least.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 07:52:13 PM »
Do you have a general area you are thinking about hunting?

Are you day hunting from a camp or packing in?
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 08:01:24 PM »
Do you have a general area you are thinking about hunting?

Are you day hunting from a camp or packing in?

PM sent

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 01:08:10 AM »
Should be an excellent tag. I betcha the elk will settle down after a few days with minimal pressure. Herds should be big with multiple bulls in em.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 07:45:33 AM »
I know the Salmon area doesn't have near the pressure from A-tag hunters that the Pioneer zone and other southern zones do, but we have found herded up animals every year we've been there for the general season elk opener, with bulls still bugling. Not as much during the day, but if you spend time at night in their zones, they're still getting after it. A full two weeks before that I'm sure you'll have plenty of activity to work with.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 09:17:50 AM »
I know the Salmon area doesn't have near the pressure from A-tag hunters that the Pioneer zone and other southern zones do, but we have found herded up animals every year we've been there for the general season elk opener, with bulls still bugling. Not as much during the day, but if you spend time at night in their zones, they're still getting after it. A full two weeks before that I'm sure you'll have plenty of activity to work with.

Were going to be in there a couple days prior to season.
I also will be heading over in a couple weeks to get the first scouting trip in.  Should be a fun summer spent in the hills

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 10:01:44 AM »

I also will be heading over in a couple weeks to get the first scouting trip in.  Should be a fun summer spent in the hills
If you can I'd recommend some camp trips with your nephew just going in fishing and learning the trails and roads. What you're going to be spending a lot of your time in in October still has snow on it. Learning glassing spots and how to navigate the terrain is a huge part of the battle in that country, especially hunting it with that tag. If you've not spent much time in elk country that lends itself to relying on your optics a lot, you're about to.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 10:30:51 AM »

If you can I'd recommend some camp trips with your nephew just going in fishing and learning the trails and roads. What you're going to be spending a lot of your time in in October still has snow on it. Learning glassing spots and how to navigate the terrain is a huge part of the battle in that country, especially hunting it with that tag. If you've not spent much time in elk country that lends itself to relying on your optics a lot, you're about to.

:tup:
I've spent quite a bit of time in this zone hunting elk.  I know parts of it really well, and I'm planning to get to know a lot more of it this summer.

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 01:56:29 PM »
congrats to him

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 06:00:37 PM »
Just got back yesterday from a 5 day trip to the area.
Saw lots of critters and had a blast hiking in some new country.

I loved it so much i left my cell phone there.  So if anyone finds an IPhone in the Pioneer Zone, let me know.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal