collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Acceptable group size  (Read 2825 times)

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Acceptable group size
« on: June 26, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »
I shoot year round, I can shoot out to 80 pretty easy in my back yard and practice from 30 out. I don’t however shoot with anyone else nor have I ever. I don’t have any friends and I hunt solo. Leads me to this post

What do you guys find acceptable for group sizes. I ask because I beat my self up if I’m shooting bigger than a playing card size group at 50 and 60 yards and freaking hate myself if arrows aren’t touching at 30. It dawned on me that may be kind of silly. My target is rienhard replacement  center in a large geo foam block so even my worst groups out to 80 are still hitting a small pie plate target.

How about you guys? When are you happy with your group? Personally it’s 3 broad heads on a playing card at 50 as my standard to go hunting

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Acceptable group size
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 04:22:49 PM »
When I am shooting well it is a softball sized group I look for at for everything to 60.  I do practice out to 80 but then I am more of a decent sized pie plate.

Offline Milkman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
Good rule of thumb I've always heard is an inch for every 10 years.  60 yards=6 in group, 100 yards=10 in group....
On the higher yardages I'm more of a 1.5 in per 10 lol

Online zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 05:17:48 PM »
I'm with Milkman,

I'm happy with 1 MOA, I did just start shooting this spring though. I'm good at practice to 60 so should be good to 40 for hunting
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 06:15:41 PM »
Good rule of thumb I've always heard is an inch for every 10 years.  60 yards=6 in group, 100 yards=10 in group....
On the higher yardages I'm more of a 1.5 in per 10 lol
10 years! $hit

Offline TommyH

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 07:07:08 PM »
I shoot year round, I can shoot out to 80 pretty easy in my back yard and practice from 30 out. I don’t however shoot with anyone else nor have I ever. I don’t have any friends and I hunt solo. Leads me to this post

What do you guys find acceptable for group sizes. I ask because I beat my self up if I’m shooting bigger than a playing card size group at 50 and 60 yards and freaking hate myself if arrows aren’t touching at 30. It dawned on me that may be kind of silly. My target is rienhard replacement  center in a large geo foam block so even my worst groups out to 80 are still hitting a small pie plate target.

How about you guys? When are you happy with your group? Personally it’s 3 broad heads on a playing card at 50 as my standard to go hunting

It sounds like your shooting just fine,  :tup: keep it up and shoot often, but if you don’t have any partners to practice with, I’d say you should go to a few 3D shoots and meet some people and shoot with them. I have a lot more fun when practicing with someone, the competitiveness, the smack talking, lol it makes me shoot more and makes me want to shoot better. Not sure where you at in Idaho but a partner of mine near sandpoint keeps trying to get me over there for some 3-d and some tournaments. ( I haven’t yet cause I’m not yet happy with my groups with a new sight) but if that’s not something your into, I’d say just keep shooting. 3 BH in a playing card at 50 is beyond acceptable.  :twocents:

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 08:08:36 PM »
That’s kinda what I was getting at with the post. I know when I’m shooting like that I’m shooting good but I get to thinking when I’m shooting a 6”group at 50 I’m falling off. When in reality I’m sure it’s still among standard to good groups. Just don’t have anything to compare it to so thought this would be an interesting discussion. For me it will be anyway

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 08:22:48 PM »
Personally it’s 3 broad heads on a playing card at 50 as my standard to go hunting
  Thats competitive shooting ready, far beyond hunting ready at the ranges I shoot, but thats the key - the further you shoot the more accurate you need be.  I started out with a recurve and 100% in a paper plate was max range which was 35 yards.   

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 08:34:04 PM »
I rarely get the chance to shoot a group at an animal so I value first shot hits more than groups. I almost never shoot multiple broadheads at a target anyway
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 08:40:20 PM »
I rarely get the chance to shoot a group at an animal so I value first shot hits more than groups. I almost never shoot multiple broadheads at a target anyway

Should clarify, thats three consecutive broad heads on a card. So it is kinda first shot accuracy. Shooting groups of broad heads just gives you ruined arrows

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 09:08:29 PM »

Should clarify, thats three consecutive broad heads on a card. So it is kinda first shot accuracy. Shooting groups of broad heads just gives you ruined arrows

Yep. First Robin hood is cool and the second one is vexing
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 07:46:15 AM »
I never shoot past 40 yards at a live animal, never.  I want all my arrows inside of a baseball sized spot at 40 and 50 on the practice range and I'm satisfied.  Inside 30 I never shoot at the same spot with more than one arrow, because I should be causing damage to the first arrow if I am shooting correctly.  That said I make it all fun, no pressure and no giving myself a hard time.  I think that is a good way to let target panic creep into your shooting.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 08:15:10 AM »
You hit the nail on the head with that last sentence Fred :tup:
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull