collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New project time, again.....  (Read 6162 times)

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
New project time, again.....
« on: June 26, 2019, 08:19:39 PM »
Since my last project (270 Boondoogle) was such an overwhelming success :bash:, I've thrown those barrels into the back of the safe and decided to move on and pretend that whole thing never happened. Which means it's time to plan the next Boondoggle!!!!

I didn't get any takers on the two barreled actions I've had listed in the classified section on here, so I've got a couple different actions to work with now:

- Win Model 70 short action WSM bolt face (the pushfeed style action)
- Savage long action (.473 and .532 bolt heads)
- CheyTac model 310 repeater action (The 338 SnipeTac barrel is pretty much smoked)
- ARC Nucleus long action (.532 bolt face)

I have a set of dies for a 30 Sherman Mag (300 PRC improved) that should be here next week, but I'm bored with that idea before it's even started. I have an unfired 7 SAUM barrel with Savage barrel threads that's been sitting in my barrel pile for a while but that's a little too vanilla right now. Other than that I have a lot of different ideas but nothing's really jumping out at me right now.

I have dummy rounds made up for a series of wildcats sized for medium length actions like the short action Model 70 which will take up to a 3.100" OAL. They're similar to the B&M cartridges if anyone is familiar with those. The 358 version should duplicate the 358 Norma mag but from a 20" barreled short action.

The Savage long action would make a good donor for something like along the lines of a magnum 358 or 9.3mm like a 35 or 36 Nosler, or something more boring like a 280AI. It currently has a 270 Win barrel on there but I've only shot a few rounds through it to function test it.

I thought about removing the butt stock from the chassis that the CT action is in and building a mag fed 416 CT improved pistol with a 20" long 1.500" straight cylinder barrel, but that's just stupid since I already have a 338 CT improved pistol. :chuckle:

Now it's everybody else's turn to throw out some stupid ideas that they've had rolling around and see if I'm dumb enough to try it. The only real requirement is that it has to be unique or relatively uncommon.

Offline mattsox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: New project time, again.....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:56:25 PM »
25 WSM on the model 70 action.  1 in 7.5 twist to shoot Blackjack 131gr or the heavy hammer bullets.  Should still be able to hit 3300 fps from the short mag with the heavies, maybe faster yet, I've never played with the short mags.
Just tryin to have a little fun, folks.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 09:53:09 PM »
577 Nitro Express, necked down to the .22 Yorke Express?
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:27 PM »
Pistol time!!! Been awhile since we have seen a pistol build from you.

I just built a 338 fed in semi auto. Been digging it for sure.
I know you have said you had some interest in building a 338 fed? Maybe screw one together see what ya can get out of it?

Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 05:37:21 AM »
358 ct or bme
Probably still got a bunch of 277’s so how bout a 27/300 prc
Could have Steve spin up some .458 rifle bullets and go 45 cheytac improved
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 07:00:07 AM »
Muzzleloader  :dunno:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 09:15:05 AM »
Something based off of the RUM or big Nosler case, Improved shoulder angle to make it different, then necked down to .25 cal to shoot those 131gr Blackjack bullets.  I suppose you could do the same thing off of the WSM, SAUM, Creedmoor, or even Blaser case, but that would probably be to generic for you so I'd probably push you toward one of the larger cases like the RUM or Nosler.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 11:32:03 AM »
You should do a wildcat based on the .243 WSSM, for the Win Model 70, you can call it "Hoodwink" in .243 YESM (York,Even Shorter, Magnum).
 :hello:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »

:yeah:

That hankins supposedly gets a 300gr pittman going 3700fps in a muzzy.

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 02:27:30 PM »
.338 edge necked down to 6.5? Call it 6.5 creedmore 2.0?
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 03:26:53 PM »

I think he already has an "improved" version of that with his 6.5 Badger.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 04:42:51 PM »
Great ideas so far, now it's time to shoot them all down. :chuckle:

25 WSM on the model 70 action.  1 in 7.5 twist to shoot Blackjack 131gr or the heavy hammer bullets.  Should still be able to hit 3300 fps from the short mag with the heavies, maybe faster yet, I've never played with the short mags.

I actually had a 1-7.5" twist 25 caliber blank to do exactly that. I got bored with that idea and gave the barrel to an occasional member on here, Biggerhammer (LLBH again....) who's working on a 25 PRC right now.

577 Nitro Express, necked down to the .22 Yorke Express?

I haven't ruled out the idea of a single shot rifle using something like the 577 Nitro case in some form.

Pistol time!!! Been awhile since we have seen a pistol build from you.

I just built a 338 fed in semi auto. Been digging it for sure.
I know you have said you had some interest in building a 338 fed? Maybe screw one together see what ya can get out of it?

I've been thinking about an AR 10 in 338 Federal but I just can't learn to love the AR platform even after the 6.5 BRX and 270 AR projects a few years ago. I did throw together an 18" barreled pistol in 358 Winchester for a little while and it was fun. I've been looking for a good deal on something like an XP-100 or Weatherby CFP to build off of but the prices on those are getting ridiculous!

358 ct or bme
Probably still got a bunch of 277’s so how bout a 27/300 prc
Could have Steve spin up some .458 rifle bullets and go 45 cheytac improved

I thought about trying another 270 just to use up all the "scraps" I have but now I'm just bitter and hate the 270. :chuckle: I was talking to a guy earlier today who suggested an 8mm CT, but with the shoulder actually bumped back to reduce capacity slightly. If I could find somebody to sell me 3.000" or longer RUM/404 Jeffery basic brass I'd play with that case a little more. The BME is still one of my favorite creations.

Something based off of the RUM or big Nosler case, Improved shoulder angle to make it different, then necked down to .25 cal to shoot those 131gr Blackjack bullets.  I suppose you could do the same thing off of the WSM, SAUM, Creedmoor, or even Blaser case, but that would probably be to generic for you so I'd probably push you toward one of the larger cases like the RUM or Nosler.

I still have a reamer drawn up for a 25 Boondoggle which is a 25/375 Ruger. I'm just not sure I want to build a gun around a single bullet, even though the Blackjack bullets seem to be living up to the hype.

I'm still looking for the right muzzleloader so I can switch to muzzleloader for elk this year. I should probably get on that pretty quick, the season's creeping up on me!

I think he already has an "improved" version of that with his 6.5 Badger.

Yeah, the 6.5 Badger is an improved 338 RUM which gives the same capacity as the full length RUM, but in a shorter case. Plus I still have a 270/300 RUM reamer sitting here from when I played with that.

I got offered a 6 Dasher barreled action today with an X-Caliber 7" twist barrel on a Pierce action for a good price, but that's just too vanilla. I still have a 6 BR barrel for one of the Strikers that I haven't used for a bit and a straight 243 barrel tucked away somewhere too.

It's really hard to come up with new ideas when I've played with so many different things over the years. The struggle is real guys!!!! :chuckle:

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 08:26:28 PM »
.243 fatmac? Based off the .50 fatmac? Shooting hammers or ttsx ??
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline Jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »
325-375 Ruger, I like the idea of the 7mm-375 which will be my next hunting rifle build.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 11:49:50 PM »
Yes indeed the cfp and xp100 are getting very spendy. My favorite hunting handgun is a cfp in 7mm-08.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal