collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New project time, again.....  (Read 6161 times)

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
Re: New project time, again.....
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 04:52:24 PM »
Get with the new trends and make a 25x47.  Or something in 25 cal and try out the 131 Black Jack.  I am doing a 338 Norma Improved.  It's pretty vanilla compared to your style. 

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 05:42:47 PM »
There's really a lot of interest in the 25 caliber! Maybe a specialty pistol in a 25 caliber of some kind.....

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 07:43:44 PM »
375 mercenary  :dunno:

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »

I was briefly interested in that design a while back. The "design team" behind that (and the rest of their wildcats) really turned me away from the idea though. There's an awful lot of hype with very little data to back it up.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2019, 12:07:55 PM »

I was briefly interested in that design a while back. The "design team" behind that (and the rest of their wildcats) really turned me away from the idea though. There's an awful lot of hype with very little data to back it up.
i would agree 100%
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Online Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 10:30:36 AM »
I dont have any suggestions but looking forward to following along!

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 11:25:46 AM »
Why not take the 50bmg and neck it down to a .308 and shoot the super heavy 30s?
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 12:18:55 PM »
Maybe it’s time to build a 20mm pistol
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2019, 06:40:19 PM »
I couldn't come up with any good ideas so I decided to just throw the 7mm SAUM barrel that's been sitting under my work bench on an action. Now I'm trying to figure out why I didn't do it months ago!

That group was one of 4 that I shot while zeroing the scope and getting velocities. The largest one I shot measured .664" edge to edge and was shot with the Magneto hanging off the barrel. The load was just a random charge of H4350 and some extra 168gr Berger VLDs that I use in my 284 Win pistol. The muzzle velocity is 2982fps with an ES of 3 fps for the 6 shots I chronographed. I planned on extending the throat and shooting the 180 class bullets since I'm using a long action and have a ton of space to work with. Now I think I'll just leave it alone.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 06:58:01 PM by yorketransport »

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 06:46:02 PM »
Can’t complain about that!

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 06:59:33 PM »

Sure I can! It's a 7mm, it's a factory chambering, anything affiliated with Remington is a stupid face....... :chuckle:

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 08:05:22 PM »

Sure I can! It's a 7mm, it's a factory chambering, anything affiliated with Remington is a stupid face....... :chuckle:
maybe it’s a fluke. Shoot it again :chuckle:  least your shooting Berger instead of those yucky noslers

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019, 11:58:17 PM »
I know this may sound a little boring, but how about a long throated 300 RUM with a 28-30 inch tube in at least a 9tw, maybe even an 8tw, to shoot some of these new high BC 30 cal bullets.  The 200gr SMK has a .715 BC and I bet you could, easily, launch those 3200++ from a 300 RUM.  You could easily build it on a factory action with a mag bolt face and with ADG making RUM brass it gives you a source for good quality cases.  No special reamer to wait for and off the shelf dies, heck, what's not to like.  :tup:

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »
I know this may sound a little boring, but how about a long throated 300 RUM with a 28-30 inch tube in at least a 9tw, maybe even an 8tw, to shoot some of these new high BC 30 cal bullets.  The 200gr SMK has a .715 BC and I bet you could, easily, launch those 3200++ from a 300 RUM.  You could easily build it on a factory action with a mag bolt face and with ADG making RUM brass it gives you a source for good quality cases.  No special reamer to wait for and off the shelf dies, heck, what's not to like.  :tup:

Well what's the fun in that?! :chuckle:

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2019, 06:29:00 PM »

Well what's the fun in that?! :chuckle:

I know, I know, told you it was a boring idea, but I was trying to appeal to your, please try and hold the laughter to a minimum once you read this, dare I say, practical side.  :yike:  :chuckle:

Not that I'm particularly old, though some days I wonder, but I find the older I get, the more I appreciate, easy, cartridges.  Maybe it would be different if I could shoot right from my home, like some of you lucky basterds do like Jasnt, but since that currently isn't an option, I'd much rather spend more time shooting and less time developing loads.

I still think you need to not give up on the .277 route.  Over the years I've talked to a few different guys that had one of Kirby Allen's 270AM which is his version of a 270 RUM and they were very happy with those.  Again, a boringly simple cartridge, but a 270RUM or 27 Nosler slinging the 170 Bergers 3300+ would be pretty cool.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal