collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling bears next month  (Read 28687 times)

Offline flyfishWA

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Calling bears next month
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2019, 09:18:18 PM »
I'm thinking 2 year old on this bear what do you guys think? :dunno:
"speak softly and carry a big stick" Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2019, 03:05:00 PM »
Hes a youngster for sure, but no reason not to throw him in the freezer, you can always hold out for a beast with your second tag.

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2019, 03:28:53 PM »
I agree. Size and location of ears tell me not more than 2 or 3 years old tops. BUT As Bango said no reason not to put him in the freezer. That is the perfect age Bear for eating. And any bear bigger than a cub is capable of taking Fawns and calves  out so worthy of a bullet in my book.

Offline flyfishWA

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2019, 05:53:31 PM »
Hes a youngster for sure, but no reason not to throw him in the freezer, you can always hold out for a beast with your second tag.
I would definitely shoot him if I saw him. I have not shot a bear yet and I don't like the bears in the area because it is my deer hunting area.
"speak softly and carry a big stick" Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2019, 09:12:32 PM »
I got a hard copy 2 years ago and just start reading it last night. I am such a slacker. But has been a great read so far

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Picked up a copy at Riverside Archery today. Enjoying the intro & first chapter so far!
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2019, 09:15:27 PM »
Yup, shooter. Pretty bear.

Offline BFOX22

• Pilgrim
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2019, 12:13:18 PM »
I tried my hand at calling last year. Using "Deer talk" distress call. Had a few come in however my set up was not so great a few snuck up on me and were gone by the time I got situated. I was wondering how are you guys setting up when your calling? Tree stand, back against a big tree, fringes of clear cuts?

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2019, 05:47:38 PM »
I tried my hand at calling last year. Using "Deer talk" distress call. Had a few come in however my set up was not so great a few snuck up on me and were gone by the time I got situated. I was wondering how are you guys setting up when your calling? Tree stand, back against a big tree, fringes of clear cuts?

Ill definitely have something at my back.  Not necessarily for safety reasons, but to disguise my outline.  Cant look too obvious using a handcall.  Youre the source of the sound, theyll come in keyed in on your location.  Im going to be calling by water and berries, in pretty heavy cover areas as ill be using a rifle with open sights.  Want to call them in close.  Advantages to that are being able to hear them coming (i hope) and by the time they can actually see you, you can shoot.  Calling in more open areas, advantage is that you might be able to see them farther off and get a shot before they can get down wind. 
  My shots should be no more than 75 yards where ill be calling, hopefully less.  But i did decide a couple days ago to lob a round at a 6" steel circle at 250 yards, and actually hit it, surprisingly enough.  Not too shabby for a 70 yr old .30-30 with no scope.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2019, 08:32:56 AM »

Ill definitely have something at my back.  Not necessarily for safety reasons, but to disguise my outline.  Cant look too obvious using a handcall.  Youre the source of the sound, theyll come in keyed in on your location.  Im going to be calling by water and berries, in pretty heavy cover areas as ill be using a rifle with open sights.  Want to call them in close.  Advantages to that are being able to hear them coming (i hope) and by the time they can actually see you, you can shoot.  Calling in more open areas, advantage is that you might be able to see them farther off and get a shot before they can get down wind. 
  My shots should be no more than 75 yards where ill be calling, hopefully less.  But i did decide a couple days ago to lob a round at a 6" steel circle at 250 yards, and actually hit it, surprisingly enough.  Not too shabby for a 70 yr old .30-30 with no scope.

Most of my shots on bears called in have been less than 20 yards, most in the 10 to 15 yard range and most of those I never heard a sound.  I would be slowly scanning with my eyes and scan back the other way and they are standing there.  Unless it is a BIG bear, you will rarely hear them.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2019, 08:34:35 AM »
Last bear i killed came in behind me quiet as a mouse.  Didnt hear it until it was 10 yards away

Online Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2019, 10:22:30 AM »
Little Pathfinder and I have been avoiding the temptation to go look for huckleberries until 1 Aug.  We're going to be hitting it hard from Thursday on. 
I have never called in a bear, so finding this thread fascinating.  Any advice will be noted and welcomed.  I have mouth calls, but I'm thinking about swinging by Sportsmans Warehouse and picking up an electronic caller today.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2019, 10:55:45 AM »
Honestly, I prefer a mouth call over a electronic caller.  I'm sure some guys will disagree with me, but I have never called in a bear with a e-caller.  I know its been done by plenty of people, but I like the range and complete control I have with a mouth call.  it's also a confidence thing.  I have no confidence in my e-caller whereas I have called in several with a mouth call.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2019, 11:24:10 AM »
Honestly, I prefer a mouth call over a electronic caller.  I'm sure some guys will disagree with me, but I have never called in a bear with a e-caller.  I know its been done by plenty of people, but I like the range and complete control I have with a mouth call.  it's also a confidence thing.  I have no confidence in my e-caller whereas I have called in several with a mouth call.

Also, to me at least, knowing that a hungry predator is keying in on me as the source of the sound, instead of keying in on a plastic box sitting safely 100 yards away, adds to the excitement.  Adds a little pucker factor, even if the element of danger isnt truly all that high.  Not to mention i think its more rewarding and more of an accomplishment to call a predator in with a hand call.

Online Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2019, 11:33:13 AM »

Also, to me at least, knowing that a hungry predator is keying in on me as the source of the sound, instead of keying in on a plastic box sitting safely 100 yards away, adds to the excitement.  Adds a little pucker factor, even if the element of danger isnt truly all that high.  Not to mention i think its more rewarding and more of an accomplishment to call a predator in with a hand call.

I'll not add that little tidbit to conversation with the Mrs regarding what we're doing up there in the mountains from Thursday on.
I'd say "I'm not sure how she'd react...", but in truth, I think I know EXACTLY how she'd react to having her baby sitting in the woods as bear-bait... :chuckle:

...maybe I should go price some electronic callers.... :rolleyes:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2019, 12:05:02 PM »
I used both.  Like both.  Typically start with hand call then switch to e caller after a bit so I’m not the source of the sound when the predator gets close to the call
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw