collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting in SE Washington  (Read 1288 times)

Offline TheGreenHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Hunting in SE Washington
« on: July 07, 2019, 10:10:23 AM »
My wife and I went camping last year in Umatilla NF last year and enjoyed the area so much that we are going again this year.   While I was planning on doing blacktail hunting this year, I still keep eyeing those SE Washington GMUs like 175, 169, 172, and 186.

I’ve got a multiseason permit this year so I can do any season.  I’ve been practicing my archery this year and can get baseball sized groupings inside of 30 yards and basketball sized groups at 40 to 50 yards.  Since this is only my third year hunting, I do place limits on what I would shoot at.  Broadside only, 40 yards max distance that I decrease if the wind picks up.

From looking at the OnXMaps, I see you get quite a swing from public versus private land and the topography is just as varied.

How is the hunting in the area?  I haven’t notched any tag so far so I’m happy with any deer that meets the requirements for the GMU I’m in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Hunting in SE Washington
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 11:43:05 AM »
Deer and elk numbers are in the tank.
The area offers solitude, from hunters and animals alike.
In all seriousness, it’s still an awesome area.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline TheGreenHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Hunting in SE Washington
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 12:07:29 PM »
The solitude was nice.  First thing we noticed when we got there last year.  It wasn’t overrun with campers like it usually is over here on the west side. 

The only people we ended up running into were the hunters coming in to set up there camps for the start of the deer season.  Also saw a fair amount of grouse in the area we were in so I plan on bringing my 22LR for our camping trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal