collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Observatory Elk Archery  (Read 7174 times)

Offline MeetEaters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Observatory Elk Archery
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:18:59 AM »
I have drawn an Quality Bull Archery Tag for the "Observatory" (gmu's 340, 342, 334) - Sept 7-19th, first time ever drawing a tag of any significance.  I have never hunted that area and have some questions I was hoping someone could help with.

1) There is very limited hunting opurtunity here for the general early season, is this because of low density elk?
2) From the maps it looks like frost mountain (gmu 340) looks like a super fun place to hunt (rugged mountains no roads), but with it being big country and only 1 weekend to scout I am a bit concerned about locating elk.  Are there lots of elk here or are the numbers fairly low?  Any advice here?
3)  GMU 342 has no early season general tags so elk here will have no pressure and my theory is have never been buggled at so thinking I may be able to fool one into coming into a buggle.  Any advice here?
4) Any general info would be much appreciated

FYI this is not my normal stomping ground and will only be hunting it because of this tag so any info given will be used only in this context.  Any detailed info you may want to share with only me please send a mail and I will never share it online or with other hunters.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Re: Observatory Elk Archery
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 10:41:09 AM »
I'd take a hard look at past success rates (believe they are single digit) to give you an idea of how many elk, how easy of an hunt and how much time you should spend scouting.   :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 11:21:19 AM »
Keep in mind this is a 10 to 15% success rate tag. It's not backcountry at all, lots of roads and dirt bikes going down hiking trails.  Getting lucky and running in to an elk is the story I hear about most from tag holders.  Just be glad there is so few tag holders this year. That's your saving grace. Just find some deep holes and hide in them and keep quiet, elk are there just probably won't bugle or make much noise.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 11:34:26 AM »
my advice is to try and find where you think elk will go when pressured. Dark, protected draws and pockets will be where you find elk  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline MeetEaters

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 12:15:24 PM »
Thanks everyone for all of the pointers.  General season in 340 doesnt start until the 14th so I will have a week alone for sure before the general crazyness starts.  Cant wait!

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 03:30:10 PM »
I have not hunted there for 9 years.
Used to be a lot of elk in there.
340 has 4x4 and motorcycle trails throughout, but the animals were pretty used to traffic all summer.
I really liked hiking the single track (motorcycle) trails between Hereford Meadows and Shoestring Lake, or backside of Frost Mountain to South Fork Meadows (Taneum)
Probably had the most action between Frost and Hoyt.
You can save yourself a long uphill hike if you park up by Taneum Lake and follow ridge out towards Frost.
Check out the goats on the big cliff face above lake, and look for thunder eggs while your there. :twocents:
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline MeetEaters

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 08:48:45 AM »
I did not know there was thunder eggs up there, i have a few I got up in the Yukon but will definetly bring a few back if i find some.  Thanks again for the info.  This forum is amazing =)

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 08:53:42 AM »
I hunted the Umtanum unit when 8 had that tag, less elk ton less people also.
Was in to elk every day, didn't fill my tag, but that was more of passing on small bulls early in the hunt, poor decision making on my part.
Many of those smaller canyons and ravines hold elk  ;)

Good luck and have fun  :tup:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 06:16:08 PM »
It's been my experience that in the Frost/Quartz Mountain area the end of September is better for rut activity than the beginning of the month. In the last two or three years, elk numbers have been down but there are still some to find. Lots of motorcycle activity on the trails during the weekend but mid-week you'll have lots of solitude. Good luck and have a fun hunt.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 08:43:47 PM »
Definitely not an easy tag to fill, good luck to ya. 342 does hold Elk, if you need any pointers on areas to scout shoot me a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 09:02:40 PM »
334 is majority private if i am looking at this correctly. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in both 340 and 342. I would say lots of elk in both and not extremely difficult to find. Hunt the draws and class onto other hillsides. Feel free to message me if you need starting points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Austinwarne

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 11:31:28 PM »
I live around these hills and I would hunt the most up manashtash towards the top. Up by quarts and manashtash lake has always looked really good for elk sign but if u want anymore help let me know id be glad to help.

Offline MeetEaters

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 02:40:14 PM »
Thanks everyone for the pointers, I had no idea people were so generous with information.  This forum is amazing!

Here is my current plan.
Plan A: A fellow on this forum sent me some great pointers in 342 to check out (wont betray his honey holes publicly sorry) =)
Plan B: 340 manastash ridge - i looked at the collared cow elk tag data and have put together several spots I will visit.  Number 1 spot is a big burn north west of manastash lake.  My big concern here is the number of atv trails.
Plan C:  Manastash ridge near hereford meadows
Plan D: Hike till my feet bleed.

Looking forward to my laborday scouting trip, All pointers/advice is much appreciated.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 05:19:24 PM »
That collared cow data is very helpful stuff. I used it during my quality bull hunt a couple years ago and found elk everywhere they said they would be. I'd definitely use that to your advantage.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 05:35:33 PM »
Where do you find the collared cow data?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal