collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nebraska MDCA  (Read 1358 times)

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
Nebraska MDCA
« on: July 17, 2019, 04:11:01 PM »
Anybody ever hunted them before? I drew the Platte MDCA tag this year. Planning to buy all 4 doe tags that I can get to go along with it.

If you have hunted these areas before what kind of pressure can a guy expect on the walk in areas? Seems like most everything I hear about Nebraska is most guys don’t get far from the roads, hopefully that is true.

Should be a fun hunt for rutting mule deer bucks either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Switchback

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
Re: Nebraska MDCA
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 09:12:45 AM »
Public lands in NE are not very crowded for deer - everyone who lives there pretty much knows a farmer and hunts private. A few years ago they made a ton of public land available kinda SW of Gothenburg, it's called the Canyon Program or something. It's thousands of acres and I'd definitely check that out!
There are only a few places you will see other deer hunters - the west end of lake mac and any other WMAs right on the Platte. West end of lake mac is fun, it's thick and kinda hunts like out here, just with more deer. I've only done it for archery, but I'd think an open sighted brush gun would be fun there. Just a lot of other people hunting there as well.
The canyon program land is nice because you get to avoid the pheasant and waterfowl hunters. Most deer hunters stay by roads, I've hunted there for years and only saw maybe 2 other people whenever I was more than a quarter mile from a road.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 06:16:39 PM »
Sounds like my kind of hunting. I love reading forum threads on other sites about Nebraska where guys ask how one will find their way back to a truck and how they will get a deer out if they get a mile from the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Switchback

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 08:41:21 AM »
It's surprisingly nice country out there!
And yeah, hunting is much different in that state. Although driving out in the field to pick up your deer is nice, I will admit! When I lived there I always did a backcountry-style archery hunt where I walked in a mile or two, but then I also bought a few rifle doe tags and with those I just shot em as close to the truck as possible. Might not really be what you consider 'hunting', but as far as just filling the freezer goes, it was awesome. They had a late antlerless rifle season that started January 1, so you got to shoot these fat, corn-fed does. I miss having 5 deer in my freezer every year!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]