collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear Spray Question.  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
Bear Spray Question.
« on: July 09, 2019, 05:32:03 PM »
My question is for those of you who hunt in Grizzly country what do you carry Bear Spray wise? brand name? size wise, etc. etc.. I have hunted exclusively in Montana for the past 12 years but never in Grizzly country.  This year I have picked up a lease on the Eastern slopes of the Bob Marshall where they are known to roam. 
I am wanting to have it available for our DIY bird hunters.  Me? My S&W 629 will be in my cross draw loaded with Garrett Cartridges 310gn. Hammerheads. 
Thanks in advance.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Bear Spray Question.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 05:41:14 PM »
I carry counter assault in a 10oz bottle.  It's mounted under my binos on my chest.  I also have a vertical mount on my backpack strap.  I keep spray there at work or when I don't need my binos

Offline Call em in

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 06:14:30 PM »
I don’t carry it when I’m hunting but just spent some time in Banff and was packing it there. Saw a grizzly our first day but didn’t have to use the spray. Costco has a two pack of bear spray with holsters for $39.99.

Offline branches

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 06:24:38 PM »
We tried the Costco 2 pack last year to test. That stuff would not stop a poodle on a mailman. The spray went about 12-15 feet and the cloud was about 4 foot diameter at best. The cloud was not very thick. I talked to a grizzly bear bio from Idaho and they use counter assault. We also carry the 10oz bottle.

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 08:07:14 AM »
I carry Counter Assault.

I attended a bear spray seminar at the Wyoming outfitters and guides association meeting this Spring. A few tips I picked up:

1.  Carry the spray in a consistent location where you can readily retrieve it in a simple and obvious way. I. Carry mind on my pack hip belt left side. Handgun on right side.

2.  Have a spare canister holster attached to your person so you can easily transfer the spray to your belt when not wearing your pack.

3. Practice drawing and aiming the canister. The best way to deploy spray is with one hand firmly grasping the canister. This would typically be your dominant hand. The off hand removes the safety latch and depresses the trigger.

4. Deploy in short bursts.  Back and forth to create a wall of spray between you and bear.  Don’t dump it all at once. There is about 6 - 8 seconds worth of spray in a can depending upon volume.

5. It’s worth buying then inert practice can to understand how the can functions and how the aerosol behaves.  There is a slight kick and tendency for the can to spray high due to pressure.

I’ve never had to use in the field and hopefully never will.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »
UDAP or Counter Assault used to be the go to brands.  I carried UDAP 9.2 oz in the past, would upgrade to the 13.4 if I went that route again.  7.9oz is as small as I would recommend for anyone else. 

I am a proponent of belt and suspenders approach to grizzly country, when not hunting my gun of choice is a 12 gauge pump with a slug barrel and a neoprene sling.  A handgun is better than nothing, but not as good as bear spray or a shotgun or hunting rifle for the average person in my opinion. 

If I could only carry one or the other I would choose a large can of pepper spray.  My days in grizzly country are pretty limited now, unfortunately. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 10:14:15 AM »
Thank you all for your replys.  CaNINE, Thank you for breaking it down into steps that really helped my better half to read and understand.  I just ordered 10 8.1 0z. cans of Counter Assault and my Taxidermist gave us 6 cans of four year old spray to practice and learn with. 
Where I am going with all this is.  This year I am helping out some ranchers with DIY tresspass fee hunters.  Our job is to Micro manage the hunters to keep them within the boundaries of the property's,  to be vigilant and keep our eyes open for bears all from a distance to keep the Hunters safe.  So any more input, advice is greatly appreciated.  I have hunted and shot both Black and Brown Bears in the past, but this is my first time in the heart of Grizzly country.  Knowledge is power.         

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 11:10:48 AM »
Don't forget its not just Bears.  I advise women and men to ditch the pink dollar store pepper spray and buy udap Bear spray!  Seattle more dangerous then Yellowstone!!!  CXaution may cause blindness to tweakers and rapists!  :chuckle:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline hoytxl2009

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 10:09:39 AM »
Counter assault 8.1 oz is what I carry in grizzly country. Anytime I’m where brown bears frequent I have my 10mm on a chest holster and spray on my pack belt.

Offline Caseknife

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, SCI
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 10:52:26 PM »
Good idea to use the out dated canisters to practice with.  Three of us did that on a Wyoming elk hunt and we each had a chanced to try it before it ran out.  Just make sure the wind is in your favor when practicing even though that might not be the case in an actual bear deterring event.  There is quite a bit of recoil for sure.  I have heard that it is more effective to aim at the ground in front of the bear, rather than directly at the bear, this allows the spray to "boil up" in front of the bear.
Second the UDAP or Counter Assault brands.

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 01:00:03 PM »
UDAP or Counter Assault used to be the go to brands.  I carried UDAP 9.2 oz in the past, would upgrade to the 13.4 if I went that route again.  7.9oz is as small as I would recommend for anyone else. 

I am a proponent of belt and suspenders approach to grizzly country, when not hunting my gun of choice is a 12 gauge pump with a slug barrel and a neoprene sling.  A handgun is better than nothing, but not as good as bear spray or a shotgun or hunting rifle for the average person in my opinion. 

If I could only carry one or the other I would choose a large can of pepper spray.  My days in grizzly country are pretty limited now, unfortunately.

:yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU