collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Former Moose Hunters ???  (Read 6971 times)

Offline sjhgraysage

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Former Moose Hunters ???
« on: July 11, 2019, 04:48:51 PM »
So you drew your long anticipated Moose tag, went on the hunt and killed a bull.  :tup:
After struggling with getting it field processed and then cut up, here is my question.

Was your bull Moose meat tender or tough?

If it was tough did you make most of it into ground meat and or sausage???

Thanks!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Former Moose Hunters ???
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 05:25:18 PM »
Mine was tough as a tire.  :chuckle: ground a lot of it and also canned a bunch. The canned meat might just be my favorite way to have game meat.

Other moose I’ve had from hunts I helped on was much more tender though.

Offline Fatherof4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Hunting, Fishing, and Loving EVERY DAY!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 05:27:05 PM »
Honestly, it is comparable to really good beef.  Lots of burger, goes great in tacos, spaghetti, and amazing burgers! Made some bratwurst, some breakfast sausage, jalapeno/cheddar sticks were AWESOME!  Steaks have been great so far, just starting to dig in to them.  It has fed my family well since last fall, still lots left.
Dear Lord keep me humble in the harvest and accurate with my choices.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 05:36:14 PM »
Tast was the best, steaks were like boot leather. Burger and roasts. Cube steaks would tender them up.

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 05:51:47 PM »
Buy a big grinder😜 taste great but tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 06:02:52 PM »
Ground most of it and made cube steaks out of the back straps. The meat was still the best game meat I've ever had. My bull was aged at 9 years by the state.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 06:07:29 PM »
I must have got lucky...my bull tasted great...took mine to a local farmer that did meat cutting on the side.  hung it in his cooler and took me almost 3 days to cut it up.  I'm pretty anal about my meat so I removed all silver skin (we call it wang) and ended up with a lot of steaks.  used his band saw to cut up the hindquarters (round the size of platters) then took them home to trim and make "steaks"...my idea of a steak is a boneless piece of wangless meat.  any scraps we ended up with grind into burger but there wasn't a lot.  Took my time and turned out really good.  we ate steaks, fajitas, swiss steaks, and smoked a lot of the meat to make into chili.  Get an instant temp probe and don't over cook it.  Overcooking is the worst mistake people make.  never got the age back from the state but he had a 43 1/2" rack.  not a monster but good moose for me
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 06:09:03 PM »
Good question!  You cubed up the backstraps?????? Is that normal?????
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 06:14:59 PM »
Good question!  You cubed up the backstraps?????? Is that normal?????

The back straps aren’t really as impressive as you would think. They are pretty long but kind of flat and not overly thick.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a load of good meat but definitely isn’t like a scaled up elk blackstrap.  :twocents:

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 06:31:21 PM »
I also made a lot of hamburger out of mine. My wife has made everything from tacos burgers meatloaf spaghetti. It all taste awesomeBut the steaks have been great too  as long as you cook them low and slow medium rare. My bull was 40” wide and aged at 7, so not a baby but not a 12-15 year old shoe leather bull either.

Offline dewandgin

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 10:07:47 PM »
My moose was aged at 8 yrs I believe and it was delicious. We had steaks, roast, and everything in between down to hamburger and a few strips of jerky. Best wild game myself or my family have ever had in my opinion. :twocents:

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 05:10:28 AM »
Mine was 8 and imo didn't taste very good.  I guess I'm the exception though.  One thing is for sure, you will have plenty of meat to do lots of different things with it, they are huge! 

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 05:11:51 AM »
Wow can't say I have had bad moose before.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 05:38:39 AM »
Mine was tough but the best flavor of any game meat I’ve ate. Like a tasty young elk & a beef. Cubed & burgered it all. Wish we had made more burger, it was to die for. Moose bacon burgers on the bbq are as good as it gets! :tup: :drool:

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 05:58:49 AM »
My moose was aged at 8 yrs I believe and it was delicious. We had steaks, roast, and everything in between down to hamburger and a few strips of jerky. Best wild game myself or my family have ever had in my opinion. :twocents:

:yeah: I processed my entire moose myself and it was the best game meat we have ever had. We do use a slow cooker a lot to make stews, roasts and the occasional steaks just because it easy with our busy lifestyle.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline gasman

• Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 06:02:15 AM »
Not a bull, but the wife shot big old fat cow moose last year and taste great, very tender, probably the best wild game I have ever tasted   :tup:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 06:13:54 AM »
Yeah, I'd gladly exchange my bull, if I get one, for a cow.  Only talking meat hear not tags!! :chuckle:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 07:11:07 AM »
Shiras Cow was pretty good. Yukon 55” bull was great.  The big Yukon’s are twice the size of typical Shiras. Backstrap was 4 ft long and 5-6”  diameter.   Crazy huge.

Offline daddysprad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 07:24:47 AM »
I cooked my first steak well done on the grill and couldn't hardly chew it.  After talking to our cook at moose camp she said cook them fast to med rare.  That was the trick.  Not as tender as a New York but didn't need a steak knife.  Flavor was great. 

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 07:55:46 AM »
All but one moose I've eaten has been very good, with one in the superb cuisine class and one that was so-so after we cut off a bad area.  The so so tasting bull had a couple of lead .22 bullets embedded in infected pockets of the loin area where T-bones come from on beef.

The superb tasting bull with amazingly tender meat was odd.  I think that he was a natural steer.  He had all of the plumbing equipment but I don't think that it was functioning.  He had tiny two inch tall flat velvet antlers in mid-September.  He was a large bull, much larger body than a 3 year old bull my partner shot on the same trip.  He was very fat and so tender any steak could be cut with a fork. Primo! 

Just remembered another bull that carried scars of a major injury that had totally healed, and he tasted fine.  He had a row of broken ribs on the middle of one side that had healed with the broken tips canted inward to leave a dent on that side of his body.  Inside the broken rib tips was a large sealed-off pocket of moose hair.  It was his own hair, driven inside his rib cage by the antlers of another bull that broke the ribs, pushed the hair inside the rib cage and left it when the antler tips withdrew. 

Offline Buckjunkie

• Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 08:53:14 AM »
I’m 3 for 3 on Shiras being tough as a boot. Gave a lot of the last one away and put the rest into Pepperoni.

I’d rather eat a rag bull shot in September or early October or a deer off of Alfalfa by far.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 09:46:55 AM »
I have shot 2 shiras moose. I think it is some of the best burger and roasts out there. One bull the steaks were definitely tough and on the other reasonably tender. Both seemed roughly same age and size around  40" racks  As far as flavor it was one of my families favorite meat. If we get another one I will still make the better steaks and if they are super tough just grind to burger. I would do that if you eat a lot of steak you can always turn a steak to burger but kinda hard making a steak out of burger :chuckle: You should be really happy with the meat  :tup:.   

Offline sjhgraysage

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 10:24:15 AM »
I want to thank everyone that has responded so far  :tup:.
One of the reasons for asking is an acquaintance of mine, that is a bit of a know it all, was trying to convince me that "ALL" moose are fantastic meat and the only reason it wouldn't be is if the hunter didn't care for the meat properly.
I told him he was wrong and that it would likely be more dependent on the particular bull shot. I believe that hunters with plenty of experience with taking care of deer elk and pronghorn, that end up with great eating deer/elk and then take care of a moose in similar fashion are not doing it wrong if their moose meat ends up being tough instead of tender.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 10:51:26 AM »
...it would likely be more dependent on the particular bull shot.

Yep. 

The toughest big game animal I've ever eaten outside of mountain goat was a YOY bull elk calf killed on a permit early in December.  We would expect tender but the meat was TOUGH and on the low side of average elk flavor. 

A thot re how tender and flavorful a particular animal is:  if you can, hang it or stash it in a cold unfrozen place and after 24 hours, lop off a good cut of steak and try it.  Do it again after 48 hours or so, and then decide whether to make as many steaks as you can or to make hamburger and stew meat out of it.

Offline Sr15

• Tracker
  • Groups: Nra
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »
I bone all of my wild game and  seperate meat by individual muscles then make 1-2 pound packages  and vacume pack . I then tenderize  after thawing .....partially thawed works best, with a  jaccard tenderizer before slicing to preferred thickness. The jaccard will make a piece of shoe leather tender enough to cut with a fork!  I have the 48 blade model

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 01:32:28 PM »
I have shot one, small but pretty 32" rack. Middle of the road just before dark. My buddy had borrowed a chainsaw winch that had to be back in 2 days. He forgot to mention that. No time to be picky. It died 20 feet of the road. 4 hours later we had it butchered and hanging on the racks on the bed of the truck. Drove to Anatone the next morning and hung in a cooler for 2 days and then back to the wet side. Cut and ground the next day. Steaks 1.5" thick and run through a cuber. Saved a bunch of front shoulder meat for canning and ground a pile of burger. All of it was A+

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
I've had meat from 7 Shiras and 3 Eastern Canadian/woodland moose.  My bull was 6 and just above average for toughness, Steaks were a bit chewy but a long way from leather.  The largest Canadian was like leather, I did a big round steak fast to medium rare and it was still virtually unchewable.  The best was a 2 year old Shiras bull a coworker shot in western Wyoming, fork cut tender and absolutely delicious.  Flavor of moose can't be beat, burger is always awesome, slow cooked roasts and stews too.  If you get one that grills up tender you're a lottery winner.  If you get a tougher one it's still dang good just a bit more limited in cooking options. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 03:50:26 PM »
if you can age the choice cuts do it! i can the majority of the rest, knocks the starch out of the toughness and then storage is not an issue either. Mason jar cases stacked in a closet for years until gone...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 10:20:38 PM »
Chock me up on the tough side. Have always processed my own animals with excellent results, not the case with my bull. Ended up grinding all the steaks up and made more burger and pep sticks out of it.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2019, 10:39:15 PM »
 Mine was 8 years old and very good. Steaks out of the tenderloins and back straps, burger and summer sausage out of the rest.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2019, 12:15:53 PM »
Mine was tender and delicious. My favorite meat so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline daydreamn

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 08:30:32 AM »
The fish and game aged my bull at six years old.  Steaks were on the tough side and after trying a few packages we ended up turning everything into summer sausage, not because of the toughness but because of the taste.  The meat tasted just like the Cenanothis plant that they love so much. It reaked of the flavor when you cooked it up and tasted just as strong.  Also had a hard time getting past the fact that you were also consuming the Hydated cysts that it was full of.  Cut it all out (ALOT) that we could find when we were cutting it up but guarantee you cant find it all as it appears in the middle of the muscle tissue and elsewhere.  Supposedly its no threat as long as your meat has been frozen to kill it and make sure you cook it to appropriate temperature.  Gotta love the wolves and everything they've brought us!  On the other hand the Utah Shiras bull that my wife got was some of the best meat I've ever ate!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2019, 10:02:36 PM »
this seems to be a luck of the draw on what your moose will be like tough or tender. My moose was awesome I test cooked lots of cuts and every one was great. I had a buddy shoot a young bull and it was like biting into a tire on the back straps.Another friends bull was super tough also

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2019, 03:57:34 AM »
this seems to be a luck of the draw on what your moose will be like tough or tender. My moose was awesome I test cooked lots of cuts and every one was great. I had a buddy shoot a young bull and it was like biting into a tire on the back straps.Another friends bull was super tough also
I wonder if this could also be a case of how the animals cared for after it is shot. Those huge muscles if left on the bone take a very long time to cool especially if they aren’t put in refrigeration.  I was not one of the lucky ones to get my bull in the back of the truck whole but I imagine some of those that are or rather proud and may take it to the bar and around town for a little too long.
Obviously we have all come in contact with someone who has said some type or cut of meat is disgusting, just because they have had it miss handled or Miss prepared.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2019, 04:22:06 AM »
2 were quartered immediately, and mine was gutted and left till am and it was the better of the 2.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 07:36:05 AM »
I wonder if this could also be a case of how the animals cared for after it is shot. Those huge muscles if left on the bone take a very long time to cool especially if they aren’t put in refrigeration.  I was not one of the lucky ones to get my bull in the back of the truck whole but I imagine some of those that are or rather proud and may take it to the bar and around town for a little too long.
Obviously we have all come in contact with someone who has said some type or cut of meat is disgusting, just because they have had it miss handled or Miss prepared.

Maybe on some, but the nature of where/what each animal eats/lives, plus age and genetics prolly has more affect.

Mine was chunked up and buried in ice within 3hours of kill 
I have never in 35 years had “bad” (gamey) or tough meat   The moose was my first tough one.
Maybe we all have differing ideas of tough
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 08:29:46 AM »
Mine was taken care of no differently than any other animal I’ve gotten. Quartered on Site and cooled quickly. The meat had great flavor but was just tough. Fish’s nd game didn’t want to age it.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2019, 08:53:45 AM »
This thread reminded me to check the results for my tooth age. Turns out mine was 9 years old.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2019, 01:01:51 PM »
Shot a 4 year old bull here in Washington and I did not end up with a bad piece of meat. Everything was fantastic. However I shot a really young bull in Montana last year and the steaks are tough as nails. Tastes great just have not had a tender steak yet   :dunno:

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »
Yeah, I'd gladly exchange my bull, if I get one, for a cow.  Only talking meat hear not tags!! :chuckle:

I'll trade you moo cow burger for moose.  I'd like to try the moose and have plenty of beef.

Offline Buckblaster

• Scout
  • 2015 Wyoming Moose
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »
I got a 4 year old bull in Wyoming a few years ago, and I'll ditto what many said, tough as a tire.  I ground half of it into burger and made roasts, several types of sausage, and a few steaks out of the rest.  The burger was awesome, the steaks I saved were just from the backstrap, and we had to cube those to make them chewable.  The meat was incredibly mild tasting with very good flavor, and now that I'm out of it, I wish I had more.  You will enjoy it.
NRA Life Member

"The people will not understand the importance of the Second Amendment until it is too late."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2019, 02:58:56 PM »

I'll trade you moo cow burger for moose.  I'd like to try the moose and have plenty of beef.
would we be considered poachers??  Wasn’t there a thread recently where a guy got busted trading crab meat for elk?  I’ll guve you a few pounds to try, you don’t need to give me nothing.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2019, 03:06:03 PM »
My Canadian Rockies moose was fantastic.  Great flavor, pretty tender and just fantastic.  The butcher up there cubed some steaks and called them minute steaks.........said it is the best way to eat a moose steak and I agree.   Super tender and easy to cook.   Also easy to over season......so just a little salt and pepper before 60 second sear. 

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2019, 03:40:54 PM »

would we be considered poachers??  Wasn’t there a thread recently where a guy got busted trading crab meat for elk?  I’ll guve you a few pounds to try, you don’t need to give me nothing.

:tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand