collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Former Moose Hunters ???  (Read 6977 times)

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Former Moose Hunters ???
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 06:02:15 AM »
Not a bull, but the wife shot big old fat cow moose last year and taste great, very tender, probably the best wild game I have ever tasted   :tup:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 06:13:54 AM »
Yeah, I'd gladly exchange my bull, if I get one, for a cow.  Only talking meat hear not tags!! :chuckle:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 07:11:07 AM »
Shiras Cow was pretty good. Yukon 55” bull was great.  The big Yukon’s are twice the size of typical Shiras. Backstrap was 4 ft long and 5-6”  diameter.   Crazy huge.

Offline daddysprad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 07:24:47 AM »
I cooked my first steak well done on the grill and couldn't hardly chew it.  After talking to our cook at moose camp she said cook them fast to med rare.  That was the trick.  Not as tender as a New York but didn't need a steak knife.  Flavor was great. 

Offline Okanagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 07:55:46 AM »
All but one moose I've eaten has been very good, with one in the superb cuisine class and one that was so-so after we cut off a bad area.  The so so tasting bull had a couple of lead .22 bullets embedded in infected pockets of the loin area where T-bones come from on beef.

The superb tasting bull with amazingly tender meat was odd.  I think that he was a natural steer.  He had all of the plumbing equipment but I don't think that it was functioning.  He had tiny two inch tall flat velvet antlers in mid-September.  He was a large bull, much larger body than a 3 year old bull my partner shot on the same trip.  He was very fat and so tender any steak could be cut with a fork. Primo! 

Just remembered another bull that carried scars of a major injury that had totally healed, and he tasted fine.  He had a row of broken ribs on the middle of one side that had healed with the broken tips canted inward to leave a dent on that side of his body.  Inside the broken rib tips was a large sealed-off pocket of moose hair.  It was his own hair, driven inside his rib cage by the antlers of another bull that broke the ribs, pushed the hair inside the rib cage and left it when the antler tips withdrew. 

Offline Buckjunkie

• Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 08:53:14 AM »
I’m 3 for 3 on Shiras being tough as a boot. Gave a lot of the last one away and put the rest into Pepperoni.

I’d rather eat a rag bull shot in September or early October or a deer off of Alfalfa by far.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 09:46:55 AM »
I have shot 2 shiras moose. I think it is some of the best burger and roasts out there. One bull the steaks were definitely tough and on the other reasonably tender. Both seemed roughly same age and size around  40" racks  As far as flavor it was one of my families favorite meat. If we get another one I will still make the better steaks and if they are super tough just grind to burger. I would do that if you eat a lot of steak you can always turn a steak to burger but kinda hard making a steak out of burger :chuckle: You should be really happy with the meat  :tup:.   

Offline sjhgraysage

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 10:24:15 AM »
I want to thank everyone that has responded so far  :tup:.
One of the reasons for asking is an acquaintance of mine, that is a bit of a know it all, was trying to convince me that "ALL" moose are fantastic meat and the only reason it wouldn't be is if the hunter didn't care for the meat properly.
I told him he was wrong and that it would likely be more dependent on the particular bull shot. I believe that hunters with plenty of experience with taking care of deer elk and pronghorn, that end up with great eating deer/elk and then take care of a moose in similar fashion are not doing it wrong if their moose meat ends up being tough instead of tender.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 10:51:26 AM »
...it would likely be more dependent on the particular bull shot.

Yep. 

The toughest big game animal I've ever eaten outside of mountain goat was a YOY bull elk calf killed on a permit early in December.  We would expect tender but the meat was TOUGH and on the low side of average elk flavor. 

A thot re how tender and flavorful a particular animal is:  if you can, hang it or stash it in a cold unfrozen place and after 24 hours, lop off a good cut of steak and try it.  Do it again after 48 hours or so, and then decide whether to make as many steaks as you can or to make hamburger and stew meat out of it.

Offline Sr15

• Tracker
  • Groups: Nra
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »
I bone all of my wild game and  seperate meat by individual muscles then make 1-2 pound packages  and vacume pack . I then tenderize  after thawing .....partially thawed works best, with a  jaccard tenderizer before slicing to preferred thickness. The jaccard will make a piece of shoe leather tender enough to cut with a fork!  I have the 48 blade model

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 01:32:28 PM »
I have shot one, small but pretty 32" rack. Middle of the road just before dark. My buddy had borrowed a chainsaw winch that had to be back in 2 days. He forgot to mention that. No time to be picky. It died 20 feet of the road. 4 hours later we had it butchered and hanging on the racks on the bed of the truck. Drove to Anatone the next morning and hung in a cooler for 2 days and then back to the wet side. Cut and ground the next day. Steaks 1.5" thick and run through a cuber. Saved a bunch of front shoulder meat for canning and ground a pile of burger. All of it was A+

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
I've had meat from 7 Shiras and 3 Eastern Canadian/woodland moose.  My bull was 6 and just above average for toughness, Steaks were a bit chewy but a long way from leather.  The largest Canadian was like leather, I did a big round steak fast to medium rare and it was still virtually unchewable.  The best was a 2 year old Shiras bull a coworker shot in western Wyoming, fork cut tender and absolutely delicious.  Flavor of moose can't be beat, burger is always awesome, slow cooked roasts and stews too.  If you get one that grills up tender you're a lottery winner.  If you get a tougher one it's still dang good just a bit more limited in cooking options. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 03:50:26 PM »
if you can age the choice cuts do it! i can the majority of the rest, knocks the starch out of the toughness and then storage is not an issue either. Mason jar cases stacked in a closet for years until gone...
USN retired
1981-2011

Online NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 10:20:38 PM »
Chock me up on the tough side. Have always processed my own animals with excellent results, not the case with my bull. Ended up grinding all the steaks up and made more burger and pep sticks out of it.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2019, 10:39:15 PM »
 Mine was 8 years old and very good. Steaks out of the tenderloins and back straps, burger and summer sausage out of the rest.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal