collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Former Moose Hunters ???  (Read 6972 times)

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
Re: Former Moose Hunters ???
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2019, 12:15:53 PM »
Mine was tender and delicious. My favorite meat so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline daydreamn

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 08:30:32 AM »
The fish and game aged my bull at six years old.  Steaks were on the tough side and after trying a few packages we ended up turning everything into summer sausage, not because of the toughness but because of the taste.  The meat tasted just like the Cenanothis plant that they love so much. It reaked of the flavor when you cooked it up and tasted just as strong.  Also had a hard time getting past the fact that you were also consuming the Hydated cysts that it was full of.  Cut it all out (ALOT) that we could find when we were cutting it up but guarantee you cant find it all as it appears in the middle of the muscle tissue and elsewhere.  Supposedly its no threat as long as your meat has been frozen to kill it and make sure you cook it to appropriate temperature.  Gotta love the wolves and everything they've brought us!  On the other hand the Utah Shiras bull that my wife got was some of the best meat I've ever ate!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2019, 10:02:36 PM »
this seems to be a luck of the draw on what your moose will be like tough or tender. My moose was awesome I test cooked lots of cuts and every one was great. I had a buddy shoot a young bull and it was like biting into a tire on the back straps.Another friends bull was super tough also

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2019, 03:57:34 AM »
this seems to be a luck of the draw on what your moose will be like tough or tender. My moose was awesome I test cooked lots of cuts and every one was great. I had a buddy shoot a young bull and it was like biting into a tire on the back straps.Another friends bull was super tough also
I wonder if this could also be a case of how the animals cared for after it is shot. Those huge muscles if left on the bone take a very long time to cool especially if they aren’t put in refrigeration.  I was not one of the lucky ones to get my bull in the back of the truck whole but I imagine some of those that are or rather proud and may take it to the bar and around town for a little too long.
Obviously we have all come in contact with someone who has said some type or cut of meat is disgusting, just because they have had it miss handled or Miss prepared.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2019, 04:22:06 AM »
2 were quartered immediately, and mine was gutted and left till am and it was the better of the 2.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 07:36:05 AM »
I wonder if this could also be a case of how the animals cared for after it is shot. Those huge muscles if left on the bone take a very long time to cool especially if they aren’t put in refrigeration.  I was not one of the lucky ones to get my bull in the back of the truck whole but I imagine some of those that are or rather proud and may take it to the bar and around town for a little too long.
Obviously we have all come in contact with someone who has said some type or cut of meat is disgusting, just because they have had it miss handled or Miss prepared.

Maybe on some, but the nature of where/what each animal eats/lives, plus age and genetics prolly has more affect.

Mine was chunked up and buried in ice within 3hours of kill 
I have never in 35 years had “bad” (gamey) or tough meat   The moose was my first tough one.
Maybe we all have differing ideas of tough
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 08:29:46 AM »
Mine was taken care of no differently than any other animal I’ve gotten. Quartered on Site and cooled quickly. The meat had great flavor but was just tough. Fish’s nd game didn’t want to age it.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2019, 08:53:45 AM »
This thread reminded me to check the results for my tooth age. Turns out mine was 9 years old.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2019, 01:01:51 PM »
Shot a 4 year old bull here in Washington and I did not end up with a bad piece of meat. Everything was fantastic. However I shot a really young bull in Montana last year and the steaks are tough as nails. Tastes great just have not had a tender steak yet   :dunno:

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »
Yeah, I'd gladly exchange my bull, if I get one, for a cow.  Only talking meat hear not tags!! :chuckle:

I'll trade you moo cow burger for moose.  I'd like to try the moose and have plenty of beef.

Offline Buckblaster

• Scout
  • 2015 Wyoming Moose
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »
I got a 4 year old bull in Wyoming a few years ago, and I'll ditto what many said, tough as a tire.  I ground half of it into burger and made roasts, several types of sausage, and a few steaks out of the rest.  The burger was awesome, the steaks I saved were just from the backstrap, and we had to cube those to make them chewable.  The meat was incredibly mild tasting with very good flavor, and now that I'm out of it, I wish I had more.  You will enjoy it.
NRA Life Member

"The people will not understand the importance of the Second Amendment until it is too late."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2019, 02:58:56 PM »
Yeah, I'd gladly exchange my bull, if I get one, for a cow.  Only talking meat hear not tags!! :chuckle:

I'll trade you moo cow burger for moose.  I'd like to try the moose and have plenty of beef.
would we be considered poachers??  Wasn’t there a thread recently where a guy got busted trading crab meat for elk?  I’ll guve you a few pounds to try, you don’t need to give me nothing.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2019, 03:06:03 PM »
My Canadian Rockies moose was fantastic.  Great flavor, pretty tender and just fantastic.  The butcher up there cubed some steaks and called them minute steaks.........said it is the best way to eat a moose steak and I agree.   Super tender and easy to cook.   Also easy to over season......so just a little salt and pepper before 60 second sear. 

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2019, 03:40:54 PM »

would we be considered poachers??  Wasn’t there a thread recently where a guy got busted trading crab meat for elk?  I’ll guve you a few pounds to try, you don’t need to give me nothing.

:tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand