collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: BC doing it again, save the orca  (Read 1383 times)

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
BC doing it again, save the orca
« on: July 15, 2019, 06:46:29 PM »
I was up in Campbell river the last 4 days at my in-laws 50th.  Saturday a ruling came down that area 12 down (basically the inside water from Port Hardy down) had a 30cm King/Springer limit. That's a 15 lb type chinnook. They will relook at this rule in a month. That will kill some charters as most Americans head up to find a true big king salmon and that is almost done here in The U.S with "native"s basically off limits now.  The outside of the Vancouver Island is still open for 1 native king and no size limit but that's likely because several of those fish are headed to WA and OR.  So BC is trying to conserve all kings/springs to their native water inside the island for the main land being safe. Problem is those big ones will be landed and measured,,,,,,and likely die. .  The outside of the island, all alaska BC fish likely bound for WA and OR and CA are still a go for now but With the frazier river block land slide this year, and orca's dieing or missing, Just seen a something on King 5 where 2 females are missing............and BC making hard conservation decisions I bet WDFW will likely start to close NEAH, SEKIU, WESTPORT, LAPUSH for certain periods in the future........Next 5 yrs we will lose a ton of fisheries.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: BC doing it again, save the orca
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 08:01:16 PM »
I wouldn't doubt WDFW follows suit.  They will be under enormous pressure to shut off all non-tribal chinook retention next year as well as encounters which would impact a bunch of non-chinook fisheries. 

From there, the pressure will be on coho and sockeye hatcheries (and even chinook) as those smolt could compete with the wild chinook.  The orca crowd, as shown by the orca task force, believes in wild chinook - period.  No hatcheries, take everything back to the way it was by blowing levies, dams and whatever else they think will somehow roll back the clock (minus the areas around their ivory towers downtown and on Mercer Island of course).  Genius governors and the like will also get thrown several bones for runoff regulation, climate change tax of some sort and whatever else they can dream up.

Once fishing is shut off, it will never come back as the resident orcas will never recover to a level that would satisfy, reference grizzlies, wolves, and every other creature put on the ESA.

Hopefully, we can form a well-funded conservation group to fight it otherwise we will be telling our kids about the days we could fish for salmon.

Offline KNOPHISH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 09:34:44 AM »
I'm heading up Sunday but not finding the new reg online, do you have a link?  I see 80cm but may go outside if in restricted area.
I have Man Chit to do

Offline knighttime25

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:02:11 AM »
They will be under enormous pressure to shut off all non-tribal chinook retention next year as well as encounters which would impact a bunch of non-chinook fisheries.

Key word there highlighted in red, always more and more opportunity cut off for non-tribal only  :bash:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 10:09:19 AM »
They will be under enormous pressure to shut off all non-tribal chinook retention next year as well as encounters which would impact a bunch of non-chinook fisheries.

Key word there highlighted in red, always more and more opportunity cut off for non-tribal only  :bash:

Yes, WDFW's position is 100% hands-off.  In my opinion, both sides of the treaty can and should be able to audit each other's means for tracking, regulating and enforcing whatever system they have to remain within quota.  If either side isn't taking care of business, they are not in compliance with the treaty and there should be a way to resolve that.

Additionally, the entire quota should be adjusted where necessary.  I fear we could get to the point where the tribes do not agree with the pseudo-science of the orca task group and WDFW compensates by cutting non-tribal twice as much.

It's somewhat tinfoil hat stuff, but the process the other side uses is proven - get something on the ESA list and then use the courts as sledge hammers to shut down everything you want.  Finally, fight with everything you have to keep said animal on the ESA list no matter how recovered it is.

Offline WSU

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 10:10:46 AM »
BC closed their offshore and troll fishery this summer to let a bunch of our kings pass.  I'm sure it killed the WCVI resorts not being able to go offshore and fish the highway. 

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 10:37:28 AM »
BC:  We have to stop the harvest of Salmon in the Straight to save the whales.

Victoria BC:  What should we do with all this raw sewage?

BC:  Just dump it into the Straight.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal