collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Federal Premium Bor Lock  (Read 6304 times)

Offline gadwall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Federal Premium Bor Lock
« on: July 15, 2019, 09:59:14 PM »
Any opinions on these?  Considering using them for elk this year.
Duck Buster
Mule Deer Hunter
Turkey Camp Cook
Time in the outdoors is a privilege to be shared with our families and friends

Offline Rem14

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor,SASS Life,RMEF,NWTF
Re: Federal Premium Bor Lock
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 09:28:49 PM »
Love these things.270 gr. Won't use anything else. Very easy to load shot after shot and very accurate. Have not used on Elk, but all the deer have dropped on the spot. The picture shows 2 recovered bullets, both preformed as advertised. One retained the base the other did not. These are the only ones I have recovered from 1/2 dozen deer.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 10:39:19 PM »
I have been playing with them and they have been shooting pretty good.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline gadwall

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 09:49:31 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Gonna try the 350s to see how they shoot in the Elkhorn Pro with loose T7
Duck Buster
Mule Deer Hunter
Turkey Camp Cook

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 07:56:24 AM »
I'm setting up my first muzzleloader right now. In all my researching this is the first place I have seen Federal mentioned. Seems like a good product. I wonder why there's no buzz around them?

Offline Rem14

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 09:50:56 AM »
The only thing I have heard said is that they are not accurate? But like any rifle you have to play with your loads to get what shoots best for you. I shoot a T/C  Black Diamond, 100 grs. Triple7  FFG, my rifle does not like a heavier load. The wife has the same rifle, but shorter barrel, shoots only 80 grs. and it also shoots very well. Just my :twocents:

Offline gadwall

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 07:19:50 AM »
My CVA Elkhorn shoots much better with the lighter charges.  I have shot a 260 Dead Center Extreme Elite bullet for 10 years now and I get the best groups at 75 grains of T7.  Shot a big mule deer buck out of his bed at 140 yards with that load in 2012.  23 inches of penetration at an angle through the body and massive damage.  Called the bullet MFR and they said their bullets usually perform better with the lighter charges especially in rifles with 1:32 and faster twist rates.  My brother shoots 65 grains of T7 out of a hawken with a 350 Maxi-Hunter and has good accuracy and performance.
Duck Buster
Mule Deer Hunter
Turkey Camp Cook

Offline Rem14

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 09:00:28 AM »
Most of the people that shoot the BOR Lock, have found that they get better accuracy with loose powder than with using the pellets.

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 08:11:18 AM »
Ordered some of these bullets as in general I trust federal products, shoot federal ammo in my deer rifle and my shotguns and have always had good luck.

I did watch the episode of meateater on netflix where Rinella drops the elk in CO only to have it get up and run away, looked like a shoulder hit to me. You can see if you pause during the reload sequence that the bullet looks like a BOR lock.

I am getting back into muzzleloading after about 10 years away. For the folks that know, is this particular crippled elk an issue with the bullet, shot placement, both? Should you expect to be able to get through an elk shoulder at about 100 yards with your muzzleloader? I'm not here to bash on Rinella/Meateater/federal or anyone else I am just here to learn

Offline The Big Game Hunter

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/biggamehuntingadventures
    • Big Game Hunting Adventures
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 09:31:28 AM »
The only thing I have heard said is that they are not accurate? But like any rifle you have to play with your loads to get what shoots best for you. I shoot a T/C  Black Diamond, 100 grs. Triple7  FFG, my rifle does not like a heavier load. The wife has the same rifle, but shorter barrel, shoots only 80 grs. and it also shoots very well. Just my :twocents:
Some muzzleloaders love them, but others don't. They do seem to perform pretty well on game for people with muzzleloaders that can shoot them accurately.

Offline Sean10MM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 09:31:50 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Gonna try the 350s to see how they shoot in the Elkhorn Pro with loose T7

I did not know they made a 350gr version. I'm gonna have to try them alongside the 270gr I have.
Active on WaGuns, NWFA, and arfcom for years with tons of positive feedback.

Proud member of Hillary's nemesis... the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy.

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 08:47:59 PM »
Ordered some of these bullets as in general I trust federal products, shoot federal ammo in my deer rifle and my shotguns and have always had good luck.

I did watch the episode of meateater on netflix where Rinella drops the elk in CO only to have it get up and run away, looked like a shoulder hit to me. You can see if you pause during the reload sequence that the bullet looks like a BOR lock.

I am getting back into muzzleloading after about 10 years away. For the folks that know, is this particular crippled elk an issue with the bullet, shot placement, both? Should you expect to be able to get through an elk shoulder at about 100 yards with your muzzleloader? I'm not here to bash on Rinella/Meateater/federal or anyone else I am just here to learn

Way late and haven’t watched the show. When I’ve dropped them and then had them get back up its cause I hit the spinal process. The rib like bones that stick up vertical above the spine in the wethers. This seems to stun their spine for a few seconds and then the adrenaline gets flowing and they are up and gone. Takes good tracking snow after that to be able to clean up the mess.

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 08:58:21 PM »
Love these things.270 gr. Won't use anything else. Very easy to load shot after shot and very accurate. Have not used on Elk, but all the deer have dropped on the spot. The picture shows 2 recovered bullets, both preformed as advertised. One retained the base the other did not. These are the only ones I have recovered from 1/2 dozen deer.

Those opened up nice!
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline Rem14

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 08:50:20 AM »

Those opened up nice!
[/quote]

Both recovered were from frontal shots, the rest were pass through.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal