collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resident Orcas feeding elsewhere  (Read 4556 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Resident Orcas feeding elsewhere
« on: July 17, 2019, 05:28:03 PM »
Sounds like they may not need government cheese after all.

https://www.kuow.org/stories/orca-whales-in-the-salish-sea-are-getting-their-fish-somewhere-else

Groups of Southern Resident Killer Whales aren’t showing up this year like they used to. Researchers link the scarce sightings with scarce Chinook salmon, the orcas’ favorite food.  This month, the whales were seen for just two days around San Juan Island.

“That is absolutely crazy,” UW killer whale researcher, Deborah Giles said. “Normally speaking, we would have seen the Southern Residents in their inland waters almost every day.”

Giles was on the water July 5th and 6th and observed the whales foraging and socializing.

“The ones that we saw looked actually really more robust than I’ve seen them looking in a while.”

The scientists also collected whale poop samples – which looked healthier, too.

“Nice and thick and fatty. It floated at the surface in big globs, as opposed to be really watery and diffuse,” she said.

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Resident Orcas feeding elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 05:46:52 PM »
I was up in Campbell river this week and family/friends said hey "the southern pod is coming farther north now"  So I bet they are feeding more in san juan and inland vancouver island. Wonder what happens when they run into the Northern pods that eat seals etc?  I seen those guys up in Port Hardy bay years ago rounding up porpoises and killing them inside shallow waters.  Pretty aggressive whales and they haven't had any health issues, just those southern's who ONLY eat chinook the same species of salmon that the government wants to conserve.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 06:08:47 PM »
......bye.......
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 07:12:23 PM »
I was up in Campbell river this week and family/friends said hey "the southern pod is coming farther north now"  So I bet they are feeding more in san juan and inland vancouver island. Wonder what happens when they run into the Northern pods that eat seals etc?  I seen those guys up in Port Hardy bay years ago rounding up porpoises and killing them inside shallow waters.  Pretty aggressive whales and they haven't had any health issues, just those southern's who ONLY eat chinook the same species of salmon that the government wants to conserve.
Maybe they can teach those southerners a thing or 2 about variety being the spice of life and all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 07:13:50 AM »

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 07:28:27 AM »

That is the part they don't like to talk about. The different pods, mix all the time. The males from one pod usually go to one of the other pods to breed. They like to label one pod fish killers and one pod mammal killers, but in reality they do both when needed. It is not likely that the males who grew up killing mammals suddenly forget how, after breeding with salmon killers.
They go after the most prevalent food source. 
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Online Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 07:35:55 AM »

That is the part they don't like to talk about. The different pods, mix all the time. The males from one pod usually go to one of the other pods to breed. They like to label one pod fish killers and one pod mammal killers, but in reality they do both when needed. It is not likely that the males who grew up killing mammals suddenly forget how, after breeding with salmon killers.
Wishful thinking.  SRKW only eat Salmon.  The misinformation is that they only eat Chinook.  They eat more of other species of salmon at certain times of the year. 
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Online knighttime25

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 07:41:58 AM »
The scientists also collected whale poop samples – which looked healthier, too.

“Nice and thick and fatty. It floated at the surface in big globs, as opposed to be really watery and diffuse,” she said.

What a job huh,

"What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a certified Orca crap collector"  :chuckle:

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 08:24:09 AM »

Wishful thinking.  SRKW only eat Salmon.  The misinformation is that they only eat Chinook.  They eat more of other species of salmon at certain times of the year. 

"Researchers obtained DNA from skin and fecal samples for the genetic analysis, which identified two male whales, known as J1 and L41, as the fathers of more than half of the other sampled whales born since 1990. J1 fathered 16 of the Southern Residents with nine different females, while L41 fathered 20 whales with 11 different females. The two whales’ offspring included whales in all three of the Southern Resident pods, indicating that there is genetic interchange between pods but that males also mate with females in their own pod."

Yes, the males do mix. But obviously they forget and only eat Chinook while they mix, LOL
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 08:33:51 AM »

To thrive, they need native chinook that have no chance to mix with evil hatchery fish.  It helps if there is a carbon tax as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 08:37:23 AM »
I guess the expression "You're lower than whale chit" has now been debunked.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Southpole

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 08:43:35 AM »
Wow, what a concept, animals adapting on their own for their own survival  :rolleyes: . I’m sure Inslee is bummed one of his lame excuses for more taxes just swam away.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:03:33 AM by Southpole »
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 08:43:45 AM »
The whales disappear when they get tired of the amount of people poop that they encounter in the sound with all of the sewage dumped and especially the untreated poo that washes down from all of the homeless in our great cities....it certainly does not help the salmon population which is the whales' primary food in the sound.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »
Wow, what a concept, animals adapting on their own for their own survival  :rolleyes: . I’m sure Inslee is bummed one of his lame excuses for more taxes just swamp away.

Two ways to look at it:

1.  The wales get hungry and figure out they need to move elsewhere.
2.  Wales are forced out of their natural hunting grounds in an unnatural and desperate fight for survival which will imminently lead to their demise.

Take a guess which one he will pursue.

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 10:17:03 AM »
We just need a way to attract and retain the mammal eating pods to the mouth of the Columbia. Lots of seals and sea lions to feast on

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]