collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How do you do it?  (Read 4282 times)

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: How do you do it?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 09:57:39 PM »
I fly home about 100/200 pounds of meat each year. If it not long flights I freeze the meat solid then buy rubber made totes and use them. Just matching size and how many by what all I shoot and how much meat to bring home. Most the time I can get one to about 45 pounds that is free as my 2nd with southwest and then the next one I can have 100 ponds for 150.00 75 extra bag and 75 over weight to 100. Great way to do it.

My travel time is usally around 6-8 hrs and meat has always been 90% + froze just in the rubber mades that I buy after the hunt and bring home.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 11:08:58 PM »
I drive home with meat iced in coolers.  Once the meat cools down, there is virtually no ice meltage and you could go a week if you wanted to.

Flying, I get the meat real cold and then pop in a bit of dry ice.  I don't want freeze any more than necessary, but make sure it stays below 40.  You can't have wet ice in checked luggage, so your only option is dry ice or frozen meat.

Some airlines don't allow dry ice anymore and if they do normally it has to be vented, so no air tight taped containers...at least when I checked last in February.
dry ice has been a no go for my brother flying from pretty much every corner of north america.

Alaska Air allows dry ice up to 5.5 pounds.  So does American.  Delta too, I’m too lazy to check the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wazntme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 02:39:38 AM »
If you process it and freeze it and then put it in a cooler it will stay frozen the whole time, it will be ok for a couple days at least in that condition. And no dry ice on planes like the previous guy mentioned.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 04:58:29 AM »
I drive home with meat iced in coolers.  Once the meat cools down, there is virtually no ice meltage and you could go a week if you wanted to.

Flying, I get the meat real cold and then pop in a bit of dry ice.  I don't want freeze any more than necessary, but make sure it stays below 40.  You can't have wet ice in checked luggage, so your only option is dry ice or frozen meat.

Some airlines don't allow dry ice anymore and if they do normally it has to be vented, so no air tight taped containers...at least when I checked last in February.
dry ice has been a no go for my brother flying from pretty much every corner of north america.

Alaska Air allows dry ice up to 5.5 pounds.  So does American.  Delta too, I’m too lazy to check the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
delta, Alaska, and southwest have all made Michael remove dry ice. He doesnt even try anymore.

Point being, just because it days you can doesnt mean you won't get an airline employee that says "nope, toss it."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 05:44:18 AM by Karl Blanchard »
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 06:05:33 AM »
No problems with dry ice here and will be using it next week again.  My guess it is the packaging also it is checked not carry on.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline dscubame

• Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 06:07:40 AM »
Dry ice. Dry ice may be placed in carry-on and checked baggage provided the following limitations are met: Each customer is limited to 5.5 pounds total of dry ice. The packaging must allow for the release of carbon dioxide gas.
Alaska Airlines › prohibited-items
Flying with ice baggage restrictions | Alaska Airlines

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline dscubame

• Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 06:08:57 AM »
“If the ice or ice packs are partially melted and have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they will not be permitted.” Frozen items in your carry-on (or checked bag) may be packed in dry ice. “The FAA limits you to five pounds of dry ice that is properly packaged (the package is vented).”Aug 4, 2017

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline dscubame

• Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 06:12:24 AM »
Dry ice is also not allowed because it can cause serious problems if it is thrown into the lavatory. There it meets the blue liquid which is used for neutralizing our organical contributions. If so, a very fast reaction between dry ice and blue liquid happens. It causes that a big fountain of blue liquid comes from the lavatory.

This flesh eating mixture is very dangerouse. It can flow all the toilet and if dors are not closed it can flows also the passenger compartment.

There was a story on this topic in September 2001 Airways Magazine. The article is called The Exploding Toilet and Other Embarrassments.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 09:05:34 AM »
With dry ice and firearms, airline employees aren't always up on the regulations.  I print a copy and have my phone ready to show them their own rules.  I have had to be fairly firm a couple times and even get a supervisor once.  With firearms in particular, you are responsible for having them correctly stored regardless of what the check in agent says, so it's good to know TSA's rules as well as the airline rules.

I've never had a problem with dry ice, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was confusion over dry and wet ice in airports that don't have a ton of meat going through them.  Most of the time, I just check a cooler and they don't even ask.  Tape the tar out of it and they won't bother asking you to open it.  I don't tape over the lid crack, just around the cooler to keep it from opening.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 09:37:25 AM »
I fly home about 100/200 pounds of meat each year. If it not long flights I freeze the meat solid then buy rubber made totes and use them. Just matching size and how many by what all I shoot and how much meat to bring home. Most the time I can get one to about 45 pounds that is free as my 2nd with southwest and then the next one I can have 100 ponds for 150.00 75 extra bag and 75 over weight to 100. Great way to do it.

My travel time is usally around 6-8 hrs and meat has always been 90% + froze just in the rubber mades that I buy after the hunt and bring home.

:yeah:

The problem with coolers is that they take up about 30% of the weight allowed.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 10:15:40 AM »
There’s no reason to bother with dry ice if the meat is frozen to start with

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 10:29:42 AM »
I boned out a Pennsylvania buck back in the 90's to bring home. Cut steaks/roasts/burger meat and froze it all up in freezer bags. Tossed the bags in a cooler as checked luggage. No problem. I ground burger and re froze when I got home. It was fine.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 10:35:57 AM »

Agreed, I only add it if I have fresh meat and it is hot out.  Best option is to shoot one in November when it is 5 degrees out and you don't have to worry about it.

I fished with a guy that put frozen vac pack fish in his suitcase with his clothes for the ANC-PDX flight in mid July and they were fine although starting to thaw a bit on the edges.

Coolers do have some weight, so you can always buy the cardboard fish shipping boxes and pack them full.  The challenge with frozen meat is that it doesn't stack too tightly and you need a much bigger box to get 50 pounds.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 11:49:45 AM »

Agreed, I only add it if I have fresh meat and it is hot out.  Best option is to shoot one in November when it is 5 degrees out and you don't have to worry about it.

I fished with a guy that put frozen vac pack fish in his suitcase with his clothes for the ANC-PDX flight in mid July and they were fine although starting to thaw a bit on the edges.

Coolers do have some weight, so you can always buy the cardboard fish shipping boxes and pack them full.  The challenge with frozen meat is that it doesn't stack too tightly and you need a much bigger box to get 50 pounds.
we did that with my brothers 2014 MT buck. It was getting below negative 15 at night so we processed and just laid it all out on the tailgate that night  :chuckle: 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2019, 11:57:16 AM »
Fed ex overnight to your door step runs around $200 for 50lbs.  I don't trust commercial airlines, I've seen them leaves coolers partially ajar, which sucks if you get stuck on the runway or detoured. Only place I would commercially fly meat from is Alaska since they do it all the time.  :twocents:

Just an option, Im sure commercial would be ok most of the time, but Im leary.

I think their rates have increased since the last time you shipped or else you have very steep discounts. Count on $6 or more per lb. Don't pack boxes heavier than 70 lbs each or if they get stuck, FedEx won't move them on a commercial carrier to expedite. Remember that neither FedEx nor UPS will pay claims on perishable losses if the flights are delayed for any reason unless you are a contracted perishable shipper with them.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal