collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cam phaser repair cost?  (Read 7561 times)

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Cam phaser repair cost?
« on: July 22, 2019, 05:11:52 PM »
Bought a used
2007 navigator with a 5.4l recently and just got a quote to replace cam phasers, timing etc for $3000

Does that sound right?

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
Re: Cam phaser repair cost?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »
Don't know about cost.  Some here would.  I would take it to Corey (coachcw here) at Automotive Inc. in Monroe.  I've spent quite a bit there, and I was always happy with the price and workmanship.

@coachcw

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 05:50:04 PM »
Thanks for the info. That cost is for one side only btw

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 06:43:18 PM »
@woodchuck
@jackelope
@buckmark

Thanks for any insight you can add

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 07:56:24 PM »
Either dump it or put a reman motor in it, imo.

Offline 3Under

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 08:06:55 PM »
I had both sides replaced in an ‘04 5.4L F150 a few years ago. I seem to remember it was about $2000 total.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Cam phaser repair cost?
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 08:07:00 PM »
I think that’s high. I could do everything on a 5.4 for $3500.+tax including all timing components. A new engine is $7500-8000 with a 3 year unlimited miles warranty from Ford.  They ain’t cheap engines.

How many miles on the engine?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 08:07:57 PM »
I will add that any shop offering to only do one side has some learning to do. That’s lame. Do everything while it’s apart. Why that was even an option is beyond me.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 08:17:12 PM »
84000 on the engine. Only had it a couple of months. Guess I should have done some more research. Lesson learned. But trying to figure out what my plan is moving forward.

Attached is the quote.

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 08:19:29 PM »
Thought it was odd they only planned to do one side

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »
And thank you Jackelope for the info

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 08:35:32 PM »
Why do they think it was cam phasers? I thought those were a bit difficult to diagnose?

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 09:13:25 AM »
One entire side was misfiring amd had the codes on my previous post. Not sure what else made them say cam
Phasers

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 09:21:05 AM »
I will add that any shop offering to only do one side has some learning to do. That’s lame. Do everything while it’s apart. Why that was even an option is beyond me.
:yeah:
I would also say that if you are at difficult decision time on the rig that you are coming up on due for a fairly expensive spark plug replacement. (in the grand scheme of replacing spark plugs). Also some 100k fluid services if they have not been done.  :twocents:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:27:47 AM by Woodchuck »
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »
Why do they think it was cam phasers? I thought those were a bit difficult to diagnose?

It's not difficult to diagnose if you've got experience with the 5.4's I guess. We've been doing some cam phasers on some of the ecoboost engines now too.
P0022 is "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2)" it's pretty much "the code" when they have bad cam phasers. They won't build oil pressure because they get stuck open I believe is what happens.

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 11:59:10 AM »
Mines been ticking for 50,000 miles, other than the annoyance of the sound, it really isn't a big deal, now it sounds like a modern day diesel. My sons 2015 Chevy made a ticking sound as well, but I believe his was injectors. If you can deal with the sound there is really no reason to worry about it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 12:07:43 PM »
Mines been ticking for 50,000 miles, other than the annoyance of the sound, it really isn't a big deal, now it sounds like a modern day diesel. My sons 2015 Chevy made a ticking sound as well, but I believe his was injectors. If you can deal with the sound there is really no reason to worry about it.

If your engine is still running 50k miles later, It's more than likely not the cam phasers that's your problem.  They get stuck open, don't make oil pressure which causes the timing to not adjust correctly(variable valve timing) then it will either run like crap, make lots of noise and/or eventually not run. 
Are you sure you just don't have really bad exhaust leaks from the exhaust manifold studs breaking and the manifolds warping?

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 12:15:04 PM »
A little sound wouldn’t bother me. Multiple misfires and no power is a problem

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »

If your engine is still running 50k miles later, It's more than likely not the cam phasers that's your problem.  They get stuck open, don't make oil pressure which causes the timing to not adjust correctly(variable valve timing) then it will either run like crap, make lots of noise and/or eventually not run. 
Are you sure you just don't have really bad exhaust leaks from the exhaust manifold studs breaking and the manifolds warping?
[/qu

Its the cam phasers, very common 5.4 problem, you can google to your hearts content and find tons of info. For sure not an exhaust leak. I am a very accomplished Mechanic

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »

[/qu

Its the cam phasers, very common 5.4 problem, you can google to your hearts content and find tons of info. For sure not an exhaust leak. I am a very accomplished Mechanic

I'm a team service manager at a Ford dealer.

It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 12:49:04 PM »
84k on this engine and if maintained reasonably well i would be more inclined to be thinking VCT  solenoid issue (they would be checked in the P0022 diag ladder) and are a common issue that can cause the OP's problem, but im going with not being the diag tech soooo??
They used to be easy to replace, fit through the hole in the VC but some engineer thought it would be fun to make the hole to small after like 2006  :bash:
And  :yeah: to what woodchuck said, do your 100k now also
Ah broken exhaust bolts and again some engineer thought putting the upper shock tower in the way was a good thing, nothing like an engine pull for an exhaust leak repair.. :tup:
But im going to let all the youtube techs here battle it out (Not Jack, wood, Coach etc)
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 01:05:56 PM »
I replaced my VCT solenoids hoping that would quiet mine down as it does in some cases but no luck. Seriously though, if you want to spend a few grand to quiet your motor down, go ahead. If you are a do it yourselfer like me the parts to replace the cam phasers are about $300 bucks, you will need to buy a wedge tool, its got a little pucker factor if you don't do it right but if you are decent do it yourself mechanic you should be able to do it,  it just depends on whether you are comfortable pulling the front of the engine apart

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 01:07:59 PM »
Way beyond my skills

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 01:10:15 PM »
I replaced my VCT solenoids hoping that would quiet mine down as it does in some cases but no luck. Seriously though, if you want to spend a few grand to quiet your motor down, go ahead. If you are a do it yourselfer like me the parts to replace the cam phasers are about $300 bucks, you will need to buy a wedge tool, its got a little pucker factor if you don't do it right but if you are decent do it yourself mechanic you should be able to do it,  it just depends on whether you are comfortable pulling the front of the engine apart
Noise is not his issue.
This is his issue.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 01:19:13 PM »
84k on this engine and if maintained reasonably well i would be more inclined to be thinking VCT  solenoid issue (they would be checked in the P0022 diag ladder) and are a common issue that can cause the OP's problem, but im going with not being the diag tech soooo??
They used to be easy to replace, fit through the hole in the VC but some engineer thought it would be fun to make the hole to small after like 2006  :bash:

'

If it only runs rough at one specific point I might think just the solenoid. If the solenoid didn't work it would lock the cam down and it wouldn't be able to adjust until the phaser got oil pressure. With a bad solenoid it'll still run fine a lot of the time. Out of commonality, the most likely problem is the phaser...but I'm not the tech looking at it either.

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 01:19:28 PM »
Noise is not his issue.
This is his issue.

Ahh, missed that part LOL! yeah, that could be a much bigger issue LOL

BTW, wasn't trying to sound like a dick, I'm multi tasking at work and tried to keep it short.  LOL I just re read what I typed and I sounded like a dick

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »

Your noise is probably your stretched timing chain slapping against the timing cover.
:dunno:

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 01:26:08 PM »

'

If it only runs rough at one specific point I might think just the solenoid. If the solenoid didn't work it would lock the cam down and it wouldn't be able to adjust until the phaser got oil pressure. With a bad solenoid it'll still run fine a lot of the time. Out of commonality, the most likely problem is the phaser...but I'm not the tech looking at it either.

Wife drove it the first time. Started up and was fine at idle. Started down the road and said it tarted to shudder and she brought it back.

I tried after a bit and same thing. Fine at first and then at about 30 mph same thing. Had it towed after that

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 01:30:23 PM »

Your noise is probably your stretched timing chain slapping against the timing cover.
:dunno:

Yeah it could be, If I'm tearing it down that far I'm replacing all of it

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2019, 01:43:17 PM »
Really not enough info to make a solid diag over the internet  :chuckle:
The diag ladder leads you thru steps covering the Solenoids and the Phazers, if i remember right you can activate the phazer per the scanner and sometimes get it to work for a little while (like during testing, not months), you go thru the solenoids first checking pids etc, there are 2 TSB's that might relate, but again not having the vehicle its a crap shoot.
I personally would get another diagnose from another shop,  :twocents:
We have done both items mentioned on trucks, but after the diag leads to the failure, also i would have the diag ladder for the customer to see with all the testing notes written on it for the customer to see or even take with them to another shop.
If you replace both you will covered (which i wonder if they are both on your estimate?
Did they try and sell you a power steering flush also  :chuckle:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2019, 01:46:47 PM »
Said the estimate was for one side. Was told both would be 5400. Thought it was too high so hence why I am here looking for feedback.

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2019, 01:54:08 PM »
Crap, if I'm spending that much I'd be buying a crate motor

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2019, 01:56:41 PM »
Said the estimate was for one side. Was told both would be 5400. Thought it was too high so hence why I am here looking for feedback.
Um yeah, I would suggest shopping. Ask for estimates on phasers and chains and tensioners and guides.  :twocents:

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »
Sorry i was not real clear when i said both, i meant i wonder if they have the phazer and solenoid for the one side on the estimate? Oh and i totally agree with Jacklope on reply #7.

Offline pup0025

• Tracker
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2019, 04:13:16 PM »
 Not all phasers are created equal.  Make sure they use quality parts.   The cheap ones from costless don't last long.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2019, 06:42:05 PM »
Anyone know anything about this cam phaser noise repair kit? https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP823113

From what they say, even installing new cam phasers is only a temporary fix.  One of my dad's pickups is a high mileage 2008 with a 5.4 that he's had the cam phasers replaced twice now.  It could be worth giving this place a call and talking to them.

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2019, 10:09:55 AM »
Anyone know anything about this cam phaser noise repair kit? https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP823113

From what they say, even installing new cam phasers is only a temporary fix.  One of my dad's pickups is a high mileage 2008 with a 5.4 that he's had the cam phasers replaced twice now.  It could be worth giving this place a call and talking to them.
Interesting, someone do this and let us know how it works ok.
Hey it only took the youtube guy 9 minutes to do the job  :chuckle:

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2019, 07:41:44 AM »
I think I paid around $580 for all the parts when I did mine.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]