collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ocean Shores crab?  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
Ocean Shores crab?
« on: July 23, 2019, 02:04:45 PM »
May be heading to Ocean Shotes for a couple of days. Anyone used the Quinault marina? Thinking about bringing crab pots but have never crabbed out there. If I just prospect around the area is there decent crabbing?
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline bosshogg112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Ocean Shores crab?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 03:15:03 PM »
I have never tried using pots before.  I always have caught my limit of crab on hook and line while surf fishing. 
not all who wander are lost

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 03:24:56 PM »
I have never tried using pots before.  I always have caught my limit of crab on hook and line while surf fishing.

I would love to know more about this.  Do you use a snare?  And just cast out into the surf line?  I've seen crab while razor clamming but never thought to target them from the beach.

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 04:21:59 PM »

I would love to know more about this.  Do you use a snare?  And just cast out into the surf line?  I've seen crab while razor clamming but never thought to target them from the beach.
I've caught then somewhat often while surf perch fishing. My kid doesnt like to try and catch perch, so I got him a snare box, it gets them to the surf line, but they usually drop off as soon as they come out of the water. As a team though, we can put s hurtin on some crabs with it. He drags em my way, I pluck em out. It's always just for fun, never kept them, though our legal size catch rate is high compared to dropping rings off docks

Offline WoolyRunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »
May be heading to Ocean Shotes for a couple of days. Anyone used the Quinault marina? Thinking about bringing crab pots but have never crabbed out there. If I just prospect around the area is there decent crabbing?

Havent used the marina in several years. Last i knew the quinault tribe owned it. Beware it is extremely shallow if using a boat. Im not sure if theres dock access. There should be crab around all over out there..

Offline TomT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 07:48:22 PM »
Depending on your boat, you need a 3’+ tide to use the launch and get in/out of the marina.  No dock at the launch.  Quinault’s still own it and will cost you $5 to use it.  Crabbing can be good about 1/4 mile straight out (near the last couple of pilings) and on around the corner of Damon Point, but I haven’t been out this year.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 09:18:47 PM »
Had two pots picked clean by poachers near Orcas Island last weekend - might not want to leave em overnight.  Day before threw back 30 keepers in 5 pots as we only had tags for 20.   Hate those crab poachers!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 10:56:47 PM »
It's a pretty long run from Ocean Shores to Orcas Island. :chuckle:

I have a pretty good track record, knock on wood.  Last pot I had poached was about 1999 or 2000 in Sequim Bay.  They not only took the crab but also dumped out all my bait.  Unless of course a crab managed to drag the pot 100 yards and get the turkey bone out of the bait cage.

Some places have more scum than others.

Offline Brushcrawler

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 06:19:00 AM »
Thanks for the info. I’m still on the fence for this trip, but I’ll post a report if I end up going.

Offline bosshogg112

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 02:50:48 PM »

I just throw my line out in the water and let the current roll my rig around for a 10 count and begin to slowly reel in.  If I dont hook up on a fish I usually end up with a crab holding on to my bait.  There are times that i quit fishing i get so sick of the crabs getting on my line.  I think i am just really luck when it come to the crab because is see guys catching fish when i am not getting anything.  But i am just out killing time between playing with the kids so it isnt that big of a deal.
not all who wander are lost

Offline Brushcrawler

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 06:12:17 AM »
We ended up going to Westport instead of Ocean Shores. It was flat calm for two days and although we had to pick through 10 soft, short or female crab for every legal one we managed to catch limits. The bottom fishing along the jetty was great too. Most guys with bigger boats were doing well on salmon. Some charters were in by noon so they must have been doing well too. Didn’t get a chance to talk with anyone chasing tuna. Summer in Washington is a great time!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]