collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho Commission Meeting  (Read 17243 times)

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
Idaho Commission Meeting
« on: August 08, 2019, 08:54:30 AM »
https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/commission/agenda_item_3_gold_sheet._nonresident_fee_schedule.pdf

Seen this thread over on Monster Muleys forum. Looks like Idaho is once again considering a draw system for tags. But the biggest takeaway I see from this is some steep non-resident license and tag fee increases. I've hunted Idaho for 4 consecutive years and am going again this year, but if these increases get pushed through it is going to really make hunting there a lot more expensive.
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Idaho Commission Meeting
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 09:16:09 AM »
Lots of crazy increases in that proposal along with a couple reasonable increases. I also notice the preference/bonus point fee.   :bash:

Is there a place we can comment? Or is it all up to their legislature?

Online TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:29:07 AM »
Wow, that's a huge increase for elk tags. Even the required archery permit would go from $18.25 to $80.00.  :yike:

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 09:37:24 AM »
I think there was a bill passed years ago that gave the Commission authority to implement a bonus point system - but because of public outrage and many of IDFG's senior officials unequivocally denouncing point systems as Ponzi schemes it was never implemented.  I think this is much ado about nothing on points...just an artifact of old legislation...not a hint at something to come. 

As for the fee increases...I believe those are intended to offset proposed new caps on NR tags.  Since many fewer elk tags will be available - need to up the price.  Of course, nothing is more popular in any state than raising NR prices...so you can probably take those proposed fee increases as a done deal. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 09:40:35 AM »
The price increases were inevitable. They will still sell all their available tags at those prices.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 09:45:22 AM »
$900 to hunt elk in the panhandle. No thanks . Be our last year as we are headed into lolo. I will not pay $900 to hunt mediocre to bad elk areas. Me and others won’t pay that type of money . I’ll gladly pay that in NM, AZ,NV and UT

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 09:50:17 AM »
Reasonable price increases are pretty standard but some of these are complete BS! $80 extra dollars to archery or muzzleloade hunt!?!?! The worst I see is the youth and disabled veterans. Pricing out youth only eliminates future customers. My kids won't be hunting Idaho after this year. We supply 90%ish of IDFG money so slapping down NR with unreasonable increases isn't the smartest idea. Economy is booming and tags are easy to sell.....for now. But that wont always be the case :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline go4steelhd

• Sourdough
  • MT Wild Sheep Foundation Life Time Member
  • Groups: go4steelhd
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 09:53:24 AM »
I expected these increases to come soon. Especially since they have sold out the last few years. I thought that the increase would be a lot more. Maybe they learned that a large increase will stop people. Like it did 10 years ago.
NW__HUNTER Instagram

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 10:27:40 AM »
It was just 4 years ago IDFG was sending out letters to buy tags , reducing 2nd tags , advertisements in WA on radio to sell tags they couldn’t sell. That will happen again in ID.

Offline go4steelhd

• Sourdough
  • MT Wild Sheep Foundation Life Time Member
  • Groups: go4steelhd
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 10:38:58 AM »
I agree that less elk tags will sell. This will be a 56.6% increase on them. But the deer tags, I don't see to many people not going over for $50 on the tag and $30 on the license.
NW__HUNTER Instagram

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »
Most of this is just stupid and I am a resident.  Especially the youth and veterans increase.  I don’t understand why it says $180 something for wolf and increasing it to $200.  They are $31 now not $180. We should give those tags away for free and reimburse license fee if you shoot one. 

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 11:18:36 AM »
Most of this is just stupid and I am a resident.  Especially the youth and veterans increase.  I don’t understand why it says $180 something for wolf and increasing it to $200.  They are $31 now not $180. We should give those tags away for free and reimburse license fee if you shoot one.

Agree, that must have been a error. But if it is increased to $200 thats a bit ridiculous. Lots of non-resident hunters will pick up a wolf tag every year just in case for only $31 and help contribute to the wolf problem, myself included. Doubt that will happen if wolf tags skyrocket to 200 bucks.  :bdid:

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 11:20:15 AM »
I agree that less elk tags will sell. This will be a 56.6% increase on them. But the deer tags, I don't see to many people not going over for $50 on the tag and $30 on the license.

Yeah the deer tags are not quite a big as a hit, but the elk tag increases definitely price me out of hunting elk in Idaho.  :bash:

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 11:45:50 AM »
The prices are still pretty comparable to most western states and cheaper than some. They’ll still sell out at these prices until the economy crashes again.

Online Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 11:58:49 AM »
The prices are still pretty comparable to most western states and cheaper than some. They’ll still sell out at these prices until the economy crashes again.

Or will they? A lot of non res deer tags get sold as second deer tags to residents who have filled their first tag. (right now there are still about 6,000 non res deer tags available and they are being made available as second tags)  Make the prices too high and you not only price out the non res hunters, but the resident hunters too, who help sell out the non res tags.  Elk sell out sooner because of their more limited availability but if people feel they are being taken advantage of, sales will drop. And if that happens the difference will be made up by raises in the price of resident tags.

Also, high priced tags discourage youngsters from getting into hunting.  The overall high price of hunting has already started us down that road. One day it will lead to hunting being an activity for only the wealthy.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]