collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Light on your side arm or not?  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Highhuntin

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Light on your side arm or not?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 06:08:38 AM »
Thatís for all the responses! I agree a separate light is good to have and I do the same headlamp and also always have a handheld but I like to have as many options as I can, I have a problem if overpacking though!

Offline MHWASH

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 07:32:19 AM »
I recently picked up a Streamlight TLR-1HL for my XDM 10mm. My concerns are when Iím in the tent at night or while family camping. The SL uses a thumb screw to tighten up to the rail. I just put mine on at night and remove the next morning before hunting.

Offline Highhuntin

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 07:56:03 AM »
I recently picked up a Streamlight TLR-1HL for my XDM 10mm. My concerns are when Iím in the tent at night or while family camping. The SL uses a thumb screw to tighten up to the rail. I just put mine on at night and remove the next morning before hunting.

I think this may solve most of my problems here! My concerns are the same and itís only one flashlight to pack in then 👍🏻 Didnít realize they came off that easy, for general lighting I have a headlamp or my hat with leds. it also frees me up on the holster side of things.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 10:28:11 AM »
Thatís for all the responses! I agree a separate light is good to have and I do the same headlamp and also always have a handheld but I like to have as many options as I can, I have a problem if overpacking though!

Sounds like headlamp, handheld falshlight, and night sights are the trick.  I have a laser/light on a bedside combo, but it never sees carry.

Offline dilleytech

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 08:43:15 PM »
If you carry a head light with you you donít really need a light on your gun. Also I think a laser built into your grip would be a better choice so you can shoot without aiming down the sights in the dark.

Offline Highhuntin

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 08:47:14 PM »
I agree when wearing a headlamp it is not needed but while sleeping in my tent I donít wear it and a handheld flash light is one more thing to try and grab in the dark when the boggyman comes knocking on the tent flap

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 08:56:56 PM »
I'm running a G20 (gen 3) and TRL-1 HL in a GFI holster and I added trijicon night sights as well.

If you buy a GFI holster with the TRL-1HL option then you need to have the light on the gun or it won't fit in the holster snug enough for carry. 

I went with the HL version because I'm not using it like a flash light and don't need the extended burn times, I want pupil burning bright!

As for the light being necessary or not I'm not sure  :dunno:  I generally have a head lamp on and with the trijicon sights I can see those fine.   I don't always have my headlamp on though, especially if the moon is good or its dusk.

Sometimes I have the head lamp on red, do I want to fumble around trying to get the white on or draw and aim when the brush cracks?

Also would a strong light deflect a charge?  perhaps..I know critters generally go blind in the light and it blows their night vision for a bit, it might delay them long enough or could even abandon a charge with enough light...in theory?  maybe  :dunno: 

In the end it doesn't weigh much, so I decided to have that option on the gun.  It does have a dampening effect on the recoil and the gun tuning, not enough to make a well tuned gun not run, but a poorly tuned gun might not run with a light.   
texting from my tractor seat

Offline Highhuntin

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 09:04:18 PM »
Yeah thatís my thinking is I have to decide light or not before I go holster shopping and also what light (prob the TRL1) Guess Iíll do like someone said and see what holsters with the light option I have and then decide.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 09:06:15 PM »
I have a streamlight I don't recall the model tlr6 maybe? I called simply rugged and asked if they'd make me a holster that'd fit my m&p with that light. No problem.
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »
I've done many forms of shooting at dark, and it's not much fun holding a flashlight while shooting, not when compared to shooting with a light on the gun rail. 

The only draw back to having a mounted light is making sure your not swinging the muzzle around like a flashlight...not a big deal solo in the back country, but if you got a hunting partner don't muzzle them  :o
texting from my tractor seat

Offline Highhuntin

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2019, 09:12:22 PM »
Yeah the 10 is a handful any way

Yeah jdb a custom may be the way to go Iím just scared of the price tag  :chuckle:

Offline MHWASH

• Political Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 09:43:44 PM »
You donít need a holster, leave the light at camp. Bolt on when you get there.
Critters are not the problem people are.

Offline Dan-o

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2019, 10:04:20 PM »
Interesting perspectives.

I've opted to go without lights/lasers.

I've had them on a few firearms, but I just kind fo figure in my time of need I don't want to mess with it.

Not saying I'm right.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline MHWASH

• Political Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2019, 10:09:00 PM »
Interesting perspectives.

I've opted to go without lights/lasers.

I've had them on a few firearms, but I just kind fo figure in my time of need I don't want to mess with it.

Not saying I'm right.

What do you do in the dark? Iím talking in the wilderness where there is no light other than the moon? What about in the dark with no moon light? I ve been in the back woods on a cloudy night where there is zero light.

Offline Stein

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2019, 10:15:35 PM »
My thought is that if it is dark and I can't see then sending a bunch of bullets around is likely not the best move.  If there is a bear on me then chances are I would know which way to shoot or it wouldn't matter.  For every guy that shot a bear off him in the dark with a rail mounted flashlight, there are 50 that shot their buddy, kid, brother or some other poor guy who was in the wrong place at the right time.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics