collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: help with sway bar bushings  (Read 1442 times)

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
help with sway bar bushings
« on: September 10, 2019, 06:03:21 PM »
Had a hitch place put some camper tie downs attached to the frame on my truck and with it they installed a Roadmaster sway bar.  Last year the bolts started to back out so I had them tightened.  This year doing my rear brakes saw one of the bushings/bolts were gone and the arm was resting on my muffler.  Does anyone know any place that sells rubber bushings ?  Going to try and contact Roadmaster tomorrow but just wanted to know of any other places to look.  The round hole in the arm is 1 1/8” wide by 1 1/8” deep.  Also any ideas on what I can do to keep the bolts from backing out ?  Locktite ?  I’m not really mechanically inclined but can tighten a bolt .  Truck is a 2007 Silverado 2500 HD and the majority of my miles are on dirt roads and it takes a beating.
thanks
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: help with sway bar bushings
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
They should be a standard bushing you can pick up at NAPA, I'd think.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 07:12:56 PM »
I would be more concerned why the failed so quick?
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 01:12:36 AM »
Sounds like the bolts backed off from not  being tightened  enough.  You should use a grade 8 fine threaded bolt  and a locking unlock nut or a small amount of medium strength locktite if you use locktite torque the bolt 20 % less then what torque specs call for. .look up the torque specs for the fine threaded bolt use washers on both ends of bolt(google torque specs) loan and a torque wrench from o Reilly's auto parts store or maybe napa if they loan tools. 

Offline Grit dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 09:18:29 PM »
And post up the name of the shop that can’t install a simple swaybar without screwing it up.
To help others who take their vehicles to repair shops.

Offline the1rod

• lets hunt
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 10:22:22 AM »
Go back to the shop,  make them replace it for free since they didn't install it correctly,  and make sure they use a lock nut.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 09:37:00 PM »
just a follow up....contacted Roadmaster 2x with my truck specs to find the bushings and they sent me specs on a tow dolly and specs on a 2017 truck.  Gave them the finger and took off the arm and went to Napa.  Found bushings that would work by cutting them in 1/2 and putting them in from the front and back of the hole in the arm (flange of the bushings were on the outsides of the arm).  Had some grade 8 bolts and tightened them up with lock washers.  Hole in the bushings were larger than the bolts so I bought a sleeve to go over the bolt and took a couple wraps of duct tape to fill the gap.  Tightened it up and it is working.  Shop that originally did the work in Lacey is out of business so no need to say who they were.

Not happy with the service I got from Roadmaster as they sent me the wrong info on the sway bar 2x and also got zero support from Les Schwab in Yelm when I took it to them asking if they could help.  Guy at Schwab said he would find the right bushing/bolt and am still waiting on him getting back to me on the parts
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline the1rod

• lets hunt
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 10:00:40 PM »
Roadmaster is a pain to deal with,  I used to work at a shop that installed their products. They make good parts,  just not the best to deal with, like you found out they are a little unorganized. A good shop can find you the right part of you ever need it again.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal