collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Go pro?  (Read 5271 times)

Online emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Go pro?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 05:15:36 PM »
I did this, you'll want to look at lens options or you won't hardly be able to see the predator you're shooting at.   fish eye makes the predators very small and distant

I think I have the old gopro 3-4 and records like 720p  :chuckle:   

As for the duration it depends on the recording quality, if you're recording at 4k that is a massive chunk of memory and will require a HUGE sd card,  back the recording quality down and you'll get longer times.   Also 4k would require a lot more battery,  I was constantly buying batteries and after market batteries trying to extend my sessions but only really got to 30 mintes or so.   I was recording snowmobile movies, predator calling and other crap so I had quite a bag of accessories.  I think for predator calling a scope mount with proper lens would be good. 

Although I think I'd skip the go pro and just get a real vid recorder where you can use other memory options and external batteries..not to mention proper lenses and zoom.  Models a few years old aren't bad.

Most of my calling is up close in timber, so i would think it would show the critters fine out to 50 yards?  And a scope mount isnt an option, as i dont want to used scoped rifles in heavy cover.  Also, i want it mounted on my head, so its always pointed where im looking.
At 50 yards it will be tough to make out a coyote with a go pro.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »
Check out Tactacam. Multiple ways to mount.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 06:41:54 PM »
If your intended targets are 40-50 yards out, you will not be happy with the quality.  10-30, you'd probably be ok.  Wore mine on some deer and elk stalks and deer that were 40 yards out looked VERY small.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 06:48:18 PM »
Well the responses on here are making me think i wouldnt be happy with the way this would turn out.  Doesnt sound worth the $400 sticker price for the cam, plus whatever accessories.  Just thought some good POV videos of calling in bears and yotes, maybe a lion, would be pretty cool, but sounds like the way i imagine the videos looking would be cooler than the reality of them.  Guess ill hold onto my money.  Does anybody have the new go pro 7?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:22:19 PM by Bango skank »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 12:56:17 PM »
let us know what you come up with, I kinda want to get in on it too and do some vids.   Like I said I dabbled with it some and made some videos, I think I may have posted one on HW?  I'll see

say's video unavailable  :dunno:   

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 01:23:20 PM by KFhunter »

Offline Wanderer

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 06:30:04 PM »
fun to have but for long distance recording like others have said it's tough to get detail.   we've taken ours fishing where it's awesome but that's when it's within 15 feet.   Also put it down inside a crab pot once to about 60 feet.  pretty fun video to watch .

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 07:33:24 PM »
They're awesome. You can find the latest best model, Hero 7 black for about 350 or less. The older models are much cheaper but the quality is still awesome, if you wanna use it just for hunting. The higher models just have better stabilization for extreme sports and stuff. Get a couple of extra batteries and you should be good to go.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 09:30:02 PM »
amount of money they want for go pros anymore Id rather spend it on a used vid cam HD and tripod

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 09:33:38 PM »
amount of money they want for go pros anymore Id rather spend it on a used vid cam HD and tripod

A camera on a tripod isnt going to automatically look where im looking.  I want point of view recording.  Hence the interest in a go pro.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 10:19:44 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Camcorder-Battery-Charger-Stabilizer/dp/B01MZ8G3G2/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=Canon+VIXIA+HF+R80&qid=1565846012&s=electronics&sr=1-7

this is what I landed on for entry level hunt recording other than a gopro.   

I get you want it hands free and that hero 7 does look good, but I think it takes a hand to zoom in in the hero 7 and there's still that head tilt thing to get past.   I have a head mount strap and had to spin it 20-30 degrees to get it to aim right when shooting, almost to my temple.  Archery wasn't so bad though. 

So normally it was right in front on my forehead, then spin the head strap to aim in, then spin it back to forehead for any after shot footage.
if that makes since?

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 08:18:30 AM »
Get the 7 black.  Its great and fine for 40y bow shots imop.  Very stupid law about attaching to bow.  Wear on head n if your set put on bow then remove when done....  Its against law to jaywalk n spit too, right?  Dunno but I think chestier mount would be ok possibly too?  I really don't know how angry warden would be cause u are taking pics illegally?  Tough call.  Wrist mount on brace arm might be ticket?
MAGA!  Again..

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 09:30:35 AM »
Hey Bango,

Would you consider going to a more modern gun with picatinny rails?  You can mount a gopro on the side or underneath instead of on top and still use traditional sights. 

Just a thought.

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 02:22:49 PM »
7 has voice activated zoom and record as I recall.  I haven't pulled the trigger on the 7, but it has been in the cart a few times.

want it to record some ski video.

Offline birdshooter1189

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 03:23:22 PM »
I recently got a gopro 7 intending to us it to record fishing/motorbiking/skiing/snorkeling.  So far i'm just stacking up raw footage and haven't started editing it yet.

64GB card will record over 2 hours of 1080p video.   Gopro batteries last about an hour.  Spare batteries are about $18 each i think.  You can also get a USB battery charging bank, take the battery out of your camera, and run a cable from the bank(in your pocket) to the camera and then have 20+ hours of battery life if you get a large capacity bank. (~$25 on ebay i think).

All gopro's have audio.  The gopro 4 was not waterproof but was said to have great audio.  The 5, 6, and 7 models are waterproof and audio is not as good.  You can get audio adapters for the newer models and use an external microphone.  You have to leave the waterproof cover open to access the plugs for microphone or external charging.

Gopro 7 black has "hypersmooth" stabilization.  This is the main reason i went with the latest model.  In my limited experience with it, I think it was worth it.

Gopro accessory packs can be purchased cheap on ebay or amazon.  I got one that came with a chest mount, head mount (elastic band with a band that goes over the top too.  Like a headlamp.), wrist mount, and various other mounts for about $25.

If you are trying to capture the hunting experience while you are on the move, then the gopro is a great option.  If you want to capture a great view of the animal before, as, and after your shot, then something on a tripod with zoom will capture that much better.  Like others said, animals will appear pretty small at not to far of distances.

If you search "gopro hero 7" on youtube you will find lots of good examples of footage shot with that camera.  That should give you a good idea if it will show the level of  detail you are looking for and at the distances you are expecting.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
Hey thanks for the feedback  :tup:

That hero 7 looks to have come a long ways from the older gopro's I'm used too

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]