collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Maceration of my 2017 bear skull, week by week  (Read 15920 times)

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Maceration of my 2017 bear skull, week by week
« on: August 11, 2019, 01:18:20 PM »
Well finally remember my 2017 bear skull in freezer. Watched some videos on the process and tried with a spike bull skull some years ago with ok success.

Bucket and water nothing else. Here it goes for better or worse.

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
Re: Maceration of my 2017 bear skull, week by week
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 01:19:49 PM »
First day

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 01:23:38 PM »
Nothing but a bucket and water?  How long does that take?  It doesnt soften the bone and screw it up?  I have a bobcat skull in the freezer, thinking of just burying it in the ground and letting bugs clean it for me.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 02:10:36 PM »
Nothing but a bucket and water?  How long does that take?  It doesnt soften the bone and screw it up?  I have a bobcat skull in the freezer, thinking of just burying it in the ground and letting bugs clean it for me.

According to the video four to six weeks, changing water every week and hosing off skull. 

Offline chukar hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 07:21:30 AM »
Ghosthunter.

I do all of my skulls every year and a handful of my buddies.  By yourself a cheap fishtank heater.  If you want to speed up the process, put a heat lamp next to it(but it's harder to regulate the temp and can get too hot).  I've had skulls be fully clean in 7 days or less.  When changing out the water, leave 1/3-1/4 of the existing water in the tub so that the bacteria growth/re-colonization is quicker. 

Only issue I've ever had was degreasing and some minor antler discoloration on an extremely dark horned roasie.  I was told to do the same process, but add borax to the water.  You shouldn't have this issue as no antlers, but Kerosene also works. 

Lastly, hope you've got a strong stomach and resistance to terrible smells.  Process sure works great, but STANKY!  Maybe a reason you should add heat to shorten the process and avoid the negatives of this process...smalls attract things you don't want messing with your skull or an angry wife/girlfriend....  good luck.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 07:58:55 AM »
Ghosthunter.

I do all of my skulls every year and a handful of my buddies.  By yourself a cheap fishtank heater.  If you want to speed up the process, put a heat lamp next to it(but it's harder to regulate the temp and can get too hot).  I've had skulls be fully clean in 7 days or less.  When changing out the water, leave 1/3-1/4 of the existing water in the tub so that the bacteria growth/re-colonization is quicker. 

Only issue I've ever had was degreasing and some minor antler discoloration on an extremely dark horned roasie.  I was told to do the same process, but add borax to the water.  You shouldn't have this issue as no antlers, but Kerosene also works. 

Lastly, hope you've got a strong stomach and resistance to terrible smells.  Process sure works great, but STANKY!  Maybe a reason you should add heat to shorten the process and avoid the negatives of this process...smalls attract things you don't want messing with your skull or an angry wife/girlfriend....  good luck.

:yeah:  I started one and had to bail because it was so bad. Busted out the crab cooker, cooked it down over a few hours with a bunch of oxi clean, good to go. I do think the maceration technique is the next best for the bone after beetles, but I just can't have that thing stewing in my backyard that long.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 08:09:47 AM »
....I can smell that thing from here  :chuckle:
Goodluck :tup:

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 08:12:30 AM »
Tough to beat putting in the ground, as far as effort goes

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 08:33:19 AM »
Did a deer and a bear this way a few years ago.  Went through two fish tank heaters.  Process took almost two months (because of the burnt out tank heater, it was Nov/Dec and the thing froze over and I lost a week).  My shed was un-enter-able most of the time. 
Bone came out beautifully clean, but wasn't worth it. 
I went back to boiling.  Done and clean in a day and ready for degreasing.  If I were doing it as a business, this turns out the best museum-quality bone (as good as beetles).  I don't need museum quality.  Not bad enough to put up with the smell for a month... :twocents:

Good luck  :tup:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 08:59:13 AM »
I read a couple things about the heat. Seemed they said it caused the nasal passages to crack or split.  :dunno:

For me and my busy life. This method fits. The stink wont bother me too much. I have cleaned a few grease traps at work in my life.

My biggest issue is finding a place to dump the water in a hole where the dogs wont dig it up.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 09:31:48 AM »
I read a couple things about the heat. Seemed they said it caused the nasal passages to crack or split.  :dunno:

For me and my busy life. This method fits. The stink wont bother me too much. I have cleaned a few grease traps at work in my life.

My biggest issue is finding a place to dump the water in a hole where the dogs wont dig it up.

Do you have a footing drain for your house that leads to the storm drain? That's where mine go.

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 09:33:51 AM »
I did a whitetail a few years back and don't remember it being too stinky.  Just get everything off that you can, when you can.  Any meat, eyes, brains, cartlidge, etc.  I used a dental pick to remove a lot and that really helped.  Turned out fantastic  :tup:

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 12:09:54 PM »

Do you have a footing drain for your house that leads to the storm drain? That's where mine go.

No ,But I do have a city sewer lid in the ally ;)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 12:37:54 PM »

No ,But I do have a city sewer lid in the ally ;)

:tup:

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 07:37:23 PM »
I’ve done a half dozen of these now using this method. If you are patient, it really works well! Good luck with the neighbors though.
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]