collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Maceration of my 2017 bear skull, week by week  (Read 5111 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Legend
  • NRA Life, MH, WFW, CCRKBA, NAGR, RMEF, WSB
Re: Maceration of my 2017 bear skull, week by week
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2019, 12:18:36 PM »
Should yield an interesting result.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline ghosthunter

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2019, 02:35:48 PM »
45 days

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

Online blindluck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2019, 09:32:43 AM »
Getting there, Better throw a aquarium heater in there that you can crank to 95 to 100į

Offline Crunchy

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2019, 10:08:24 AM »
Looking good.  You could have saved yourself a few weeks by cutting out the eyes and trimming the big chunks of meat from the skull.  Your probably half way there by the looks of it now. 

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2019, 03:25:05 PM »
That storm drain makes me think there me a Cousin Eddy moment coming here before to long.  :yike:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline lewy

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA NRA
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2019, 03:50:55 PM »
Seems like a long time and a lot of screwing around -no offense.
Go hawks

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2019, 03:00:25 PM »

:yeah: no offense but an aquarium heater youíd have been done in a week

Offline ghosthunter

• Political Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2019, 11:39:51 AM »

Yeah
But I have never been in a rush. I like piddling  around with little projects.
One of my big complaints about life these days is a lot of folks are in a big hurry.
I am just not one of them. I like trying different things for myself.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2019, 11:46:40 AM »
Well stared Aug 11, with a frozen skull. Here we are today.
Little bit left on the underside but otherwise coming along.

Itís back in the water again as I have some waterfowl hunting projects I am working on with dog ramps,dingy,kayaks and such. Not planing on the decreasing till Feb.

Nothing done but hosing off and changing water , what four times now?

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2019, 04:00:29 PM »
I buried mine from last year in the compost pile and it came out looking just like that. I hosed it off, scraped the remaining fat off, dried it in the greenhouse which also bleached it quite a bit. I didn't have any further plans for it so I just hung it up in the barn on a nail with the deer and elk skulls.

Offline dilleytech

• Hunter
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2019, 08:43:44 PM »
Whatís the advantage of doing it this way instead of boiling? We do all our own skulls and from start of skinning the head to having a bleached skull is a matter of about 4 hours of work and you donít have anything rotten to deal with.

Offline Dan-o

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Explorer
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2019, 08:53:05 PM »
It's a cool experiment, Ghosthunter.

Thanks for documenting it.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2019, 09:08:37 PM »
Whatís the advantage of doing it this way instead of boiling? We do all our own skulls and from start of skinning the head to having a bleached skull is a matter of about 4 hours of work and you donít have anything rotten to deal with.

I've done it both ways.  Maceration yields a cleaner result and you preserve all the little feather-thin bones (like the ones in the nasal cavity) that you sometimes lose when boiling and picking.  If I were looking for museum-quality skulls (like you would pay a taxidermist for) and didn't want to deal with beetles, I would go through the trouble of maceration.  The one I macerated was one a guy paid me to do for him (I'm not a taxidermist, he just threw me a few bucks to euro out a decent buck he killed).  It took a couple of months and the smell was horrible.  I had a fish tank heater die on me and I didn't realize it for a few days and the water froze.  Had to start over.  PITA.  The skull (along with a bear of my own) turned out really nice and the guy was happy.  I was pleased with the end result.
BUT...  I went back to boiling and picking the next season.  The deer I do are generally for myself and my boys.  I don't need museum quality.  They hang up on the wall and you can't see those little feather-size bones anyway.  It just wasn't worth the smell or the time to macerate.  If I were a taxidermist, had a dozen tubs and fish tank heaters and customers that were expecting top quality and it was my job (meaning that I would be checking water temps and progress each day, and I were nose-blind), then I would macerate (maybe... more likely I'd probably have a beetle colony). 
Just my  :twocents:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline dilleytech

• Hunter
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2019, 07:15:26 AM »

I've done it both ways.  Maceration yields a cleaner result and you preserve all the little feather-thin bones (like the ones in the nasal cavity) that you sometimes lose when boiling and picking.  If I were looking for museum-quality skulls (like you would pay a taxidermist for) and didn't want to deal with beetles, I would go through the trouble of maceration.  The one I macerated was one a guy paid me to do for him (I'm not a taxidermist, he just threw me a few bucks to euro out a decent buck he killed).  It took a couple of months and the smell was horrible.  I had a fish tank heater die on me and I didn't realize it for a few days and the water froze.  Had to start over.  PITA.  The skull (along with a bear of my own) turned out really nice and the guy was happy.  I was pleased with the end result.
BUT...  I went back to boiling and picking the next season.  The deer I do are generally for myself and my boys.  I don't need museum quality.  They hang up on the wall and you can't see those little feather-size bones anyway.  It just wasn't worth the smell or the time to macerate.  If I were a taxidermist, had a dozen tubs and fish tank heaters and customers that were expecting top quality and it was my job (meaning that I would be checking water temps and progress each day, and I were nose-blind), then I would macerate (maybe... more likely I'd probably have a beetle colony). 
Just my  :twocents:

That makes sense. Thanks

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2019, 08:06:02 AM »
I'm on week 4 of a modified masceration process of my bear and deer skull from this year. I change the water every week and add more soap and keep the stock tank heater going. The skulls are both 100% clean of any meat or brain matter as I pressure washed them both 2 times in the process. The grease, oil , and brown "stuff" that continues to come off those things is unbelievable. I'm sure most of it is the bear but still. I guess the point is I dont see how it's possible to be done start to finish in hours if hot water and soap continues to pull grease almost a month later. I'm convinced this will yield a better product than a one day job.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics