collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to WA, Chukar or Quail or both?  (Read 6501 times)

Offline brocka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
Re: New to WA, Chukar or Quail or both?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 03:31:06 PM »
As an avid upland hunter, my advice would be to chase quail until you learn a lot of country and begin to locate areas that may hold chukar. This will prolly hurt many folks feelings, but you can easily burn out a Laborador searching for birds in the large open expanses that chukar inhabit. Easier access areas that make for short hunts are known and can get pounded. If you can drive the areas, that is yourbest bet. Chukar and quail can share the same habitats, so in time you should be able to locate coveys. BTW,  I have long running pointer, and we average 17 miles a day on our adventure hunts, Nevada even more. Two days of unbelievable drive, and he is almost dead. Can barely carry enough water. Hopefully you dont need to trapse that far. Good luck out there

This is great advice. My situation is very similar. My GSPs collar will say about 20 - 24 miles after a LONG day of quail/rooster hunting. If we hit the chukar hills, he has about 6 - 8 miles in him before he is done for the day.

Offline AspenBud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 11:38:39 PM »
Make sure your dog, and you, are both in top shape if you intend to hunt chukar.

Offline John B

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Master Hunter, NRA, DU
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 10:03:17 PM »
In WA we have pheasant, quail, chukar, hungarian partridge and grouse. On the westside we have grouse (ruffed, blue and spruce) and quail (california, mountain and bobwhite). I have never seen mountain quail or bobwhite, and rarely find quail while hunting westside. If you really want to hunt chukar, it can be done with a lab. Once you find them (I won't tell you where) you can hunt them without covering too many miles. They hold better late season with the colder weather. They also hold in little to no cover, trust your dog's nose and be ready for a steep learning curve. Quail are all over E WA, usually close to water. They fly much faster and more erratic than pen raised pheasant. We do have rattlesnakes in E WA, they're not terribly common, but be aware during early season.

Yakima indian reservation has good quail hunting, but requires a separate license. If you decide to hunt there, be aware car break ins/theft is a concern. Pheasant hunting on the rez hasn't been great the last few years, but they are around

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal