collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: LOST A BEAR  (Read 7719 times)

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
Re: LOST A BEAR
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2019, 06:45:19 PM »
This should be a lesson for all of us. Call for advice and some help! They way I read all these comments there would have been a bunch of us ready to get in on some fun action and help recover a bear for the op. Or at least find out if the critter left the country. This happened two weeks ago, almost same scenario. Guy called me and a bunch if other guys and we scoured the area where he hit the bear. Next to no blood, no hair and the ol bruin took off like a rocket. If he died, he died a long ways from where he was shot. Its a shame any animals are wounded but ir will happen and I enjoy getting the call to come help.

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2019, 06:46:57 PM »
Yup I’d bet if you posted the story and that you wanted some help recovering the bear at least a few guys from your area would be willing to drive up and help.   Several times I have dropped what I was doing and headed out to help pack/recover critters.

If any one ever needs help in the ne corner I’m happy to help as best I can.

Yl :yeah:

Offline frogman338

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »
It's hard to say where you hit him, you might have just nicked him if you didn't find any blood at all. Just because it jumped and rolled doesn't necessarily mean it was fatally wounded. Your bullet might have hit the leg or butt and it had a hard time moving and covering some ground.
If you went to search for him, which I hope you did, I'd love to hear the results. If you end up not finding your bear, it's most likely still eating berries, worst case scenario the nature is the ultimate predator, yotes, birds, etc will get it and it won't be wasted. It's just a good lesson and experience for ya that most hunters have gone through. I can't really give any solid advice or criticize you since you were the one in that situation but I hope you'd learn something from this that will make you better. Just my  :twocents:

I disagree, if you read the narrative again by the OP

Bear jumps in the air, starts rolling for a few seconds, gets up having a hard time running, falls and rolls for a second or two, then then disappears in blackberry bushes, in a nasty nasty place. 

that sounds like it busted a shoulder

The reason I didn't make a second shot is because I initially thought he was pretty much done before he got up and disappeared.

must have been hit pretty good for the OP to have the confidence (and the time) to pass up on a following shot, if it were just a nick the bear would have been gone before a follow up shot could be done, even on a lever gun.

I waited a little, then went towards the bushes. I heard constant "breaking and smashing" noises from the same exact spot about 30 yards below me. after about 15 minutes the noises stopped. I went down there thinking he was just dying, but when I got there, I still heard him moving about 10-15 yards away from me

So from the shot it presumably took the op a few minutes to walk/jog the 130 yards, then "he waited a little" so add time there, then walk 30 yards through thick poky brambles, then wait 15 minutes.   So from shot to time he last heard the bear 15 feet away could have been 20 to 30 minutes. 

Which tells me the bear was hit solid, most likely a shattered shoulder.    I think a head lamp here could have saved the day and perhaps phone a friend.

Honestly, we don't have to stick to every single word he said, we've all been in crap and nobody likes to be criticized to that point, we've all messed up before and learned from it. I'm pretty sure he posted his story to get some advice from people and not to be criticized, which he knew was coming. He said he heard the bear from 10-15 yards in light, but didn't see him, that must've been a bad place. I can't think of a reason he wouldn't approach the bear and finish him if he's already that close to him, he was almost right next to him. I feel like he needs to add some details to his story so we can all picture the whole story. I just hope he comes back with a good story.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2019, 07:07:06 PM »
This is in the WDFW rules. Page 99 in the current rules.

Perhaps he needs a visit from them.

2. Waste of Wildlife: You may NOT allow game animals or game birds you have taken to recklessly be wasted.

By not following up this is a violation.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2019, 08:13:15 PM »
Nothing wrong with backing out at dark with a possibly wounded bear with low visibility in fact it would have been stupid.
Sorry to the OP that this happened it's a learning experience.
So to all of you guys who were so supportive to a fellow Hunter isn't it better to back out and let a animal lay down and die instead of bumping it?
The answer and you know it is yes and if you don't you're lying.
Wasn't he past shooting hrs?
Yes
Could he have been given a ticket for shooting after hrs if a warden was waiting for him at his vehicle? Yes.
I really can see why our recruitment for new hunters and why our numbers are going down because we have all kinds of elitists who think thier way is the only way and instead of offering guidance they jump on people. Flame away I really don't care but for the record most of you I've read enough of your posts thru the years and truly respect you but I think missed the boat on this one.
To the OP hang in there man it happens
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2019, 08:20:46 PM »
 :tup:  all good imo of the op.  Not uncommon situation at all.   Bunch of nonesense within much of these replies.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2019, 08:23:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with backing out at dark with a possibly wounded bear with low visibility in fact it would have been stupid.
So to all of you guys who were so supportive to a fellow Hunter isn't it better to back out and let a animal lay down and die instead of bumping it?
Yes
Could he have been given a ticket for shooting after hrs if a warden was waiting for him at his vehicle? Yes.
I really can see why our recruitment for new hunters and why our numbers are going down because we have all kinds of elitists who think thier way is the only way and instead of offering guidance they jump on people. Flame away I really don't care but for the record most of you I've read enough of your posts thru the years and truly respect you but I think missed the boat on this one.

I didn't bash the guy, my guidance was/is:

1) carry a good strong head lamp and
2) phone a friend and
3) go back up in the morning at first light

going up three days later to notch a tag on a rotten bear does no one any good at all.  Learn from this and be committed to moving heaven and earth to retrieve your game, even if you gotta give up a super secret honey hole to get help do it. 

Offline frogman338

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2019, 08:32:45 PM »
Yes

He said he heard the bear right after sunset and shot him after around 10 mins, that's pretty legal, in fact it's pretty common. I mean we don't even know the guy, he might have been a better hunter than a lotta of the guys that were jumping on him. I honestly felt bad for the dude who simply asked to share similar experience to see what'd be the best solution and get all these replies from people who might have done a lot worse if they were in his shoes. People tell him to turn the headlamp on, approach the MOVING BEAR in pitch black (that's what he said in his last reply, he said the bear was moving in the brush) when he couldn't even see him in the brush after sunset. I don't know how legal it is to shoot something that you can't even see in the daylight. And who said it was his bear? Just because he said he went down to get close doesn't mean it wasn't a diferent bear feeding that didn't give a dang about his gunshot that happened 30 mins ago.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2019, 08:36:48 PM »
Should have went back to look. I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing I didn't put any effort into trying to track it down.
Instagram @dmoua_outdoors

Youtube channel DMOUA OUTDOORS
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2019, 06:47:15 AM »
Maybe the reckless part was winging a shot right before dark.  That was the point I was trying to get across.   Maybe the gal picking berries in the dark blue jacket will appreciate me being rough on him.  If that makes me an elitist, then so be it.   We are supposed to give him a pass because we dont want to hurt his feelers on Huntwa and we are possibly going to stop future generations from hunting because of it.  Thats a bit of a reach dont you think.    I believe his post was a good one as it was hopefully a learning lesson for all.   If you dont have a quality shot, DONT TAKE IT.   As for recovery, he needed to put his man panties on and get it done and yes it could have been very dangerous.   He was the one that initiated it though.  If afraid, then make a call or be there first light instead of loitering on the net.

Be respectful of the game you hunt.  Its not all about notching a tag.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]