collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: hammocks...?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline nwhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • nwhunter
hammocks...?
« on: August 19, 2019, 09:59:59 PM »
I was thinking about picking up a hammock with a bug screen in the under a hundred dollar range thinking it would be a nicer option for middle of the day waiting for bugles to start in the evening nap time than sleeping on the ground with the flies , ants and bees.. Never slept in one but seem to be popular and seem to be easy to string up gotta be more comfortable than the ground and they don't weigh much for having in the pack... Must be getting old to be thinking like this... :dunno:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: hammocks...?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 10:06:18 PM »
I have used hammock a lot. they are the most comfortable way to camp, if the weather is mostly good. if its really crappy then its just as easy to get cold and wet IMO. I have never had one with a bug screen, just a bug hat to keep the skeeters off while i slept.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 10:09:20 PM »
I was thinking about picking up a hammock with a bug screen in the under a hundred dollar range thinking it would be a nicer option for middle of the day waiting for bugles to start in the evening nap time than sleeping on the ground with the flies , ants and bees.. Never slept in one but seem to be popular and seem to be easy to string up gotta be more comfortable than the ground and they don't weigh much for having in the pack... Must be getting old to be thinking like this... :dunno:

Im not old yet, and i like the way youre thinkin.  Nothing ruins a good nap in the woods like a big ol ant crawling up your leg inside your pants.  And of course the damn mosquitos and flys.  Man im covered in mosquito bites right now.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 10:40:42 PM »
I don't like them.  An uncovered hammock is easier to get into because you can approach from above; but the bug screen kinds have to approach from the sides--usually one side has the zipper.  You have to climb into from under the canopy and can't really sit up right.  You need plenty of rope, good rope, and trees to get them situated correctly.  If you're near big trees that are spaced out quite a bit, you have to climb up pretty high to tie up due to the sag once you're in the hammock.  I used one a bit for bear and steelhead and it was tough to get the right tree layout.  Mice like to climb up the ropes, so you need to make mouseguards.  I got little sleep once because mice climb up, but don't have traction on the rain canopy so they slide down until they snag a seam.  Then you can punch at the mouse, or you pull back the canopy and get it under tension and release...it launches the mouse a few feet.

Online Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 06:24:30 PM »
i just got back from a 3 day trip up in the hills over the long weekend. i have a ENO hammock, and i brought it just cuz, not necessarilly to sleep in for this trip, however my dog got a case of the stupids and started fighting with me the first night over my sleeping pad, dog got a swift kick after he popped my ultralight air matress.... needless to say that hammock saved my bacon.

i love it, the only downside is that there isnt any insulation under you, so either dress warm and hope you dont sweat in your sleeping bag, or just have a synthetic bag. i have a down ultralight bag, and while its provided many warm nights, its not ideal for a hammock

interestingly enough my buddy has the same one, and he found that a US military surplus poncho stretched corner to corner with the hood tied off well, provides an excellent ultralight shelter

like anything it has its drawbacks.....

nothing is worse than trying to fumble for your bags zipper at 3am cuz you gotta take a leak and spend 10 minutes fighting with it while trying to not end up on the ground

other than that, they are awesome

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 04:19:03 PM »
+1 for what Night goat said. 

FWIW, I have a Hennessy Ultralight Explorer hammock and am madly in love with it.  I've been using Hennessy hammocks for nigh on a decade now, and have stayed bone dry through some pretty crazy storms with the regular fly. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal