collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho unit info  (Read 2333 times)

Offline huntnut26

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Idaho unit info
« on: August 21, 2019, 04:19:37 PM »
Hello WA hunt members as you can tell I seldom post on here but I could use a little help from anyone willing to offer any. I'm really trying to find out deer hunting info on units around Boise area for my son. This past spring he graduated from WSU, took a job in Boise and decided to purchase a nonresident deer tag for this upcoming season. I have hunted only twice in Idaho once in panhandle for elk and once in salmon area for deer back in the 90's so I'm not much help to him. He has been looking over maps and a couple scouting trips so far, due to a tight budget most of his planning has limited to looking at maps. He is a back country get away from roads kind of hunter so he's looking for units that he can get away from road and atv/orv trails. Units 33,34,36A-B & 50 are of interest at this point leaning more towards unit 50 at this moment in time. Any information on units that are worth looking at and ones that are suffering right now would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Idaho unit info
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 07:53:43 AM »
All the units you listed the deer populations are suffering. Last winters late heavy snow was hard on deer and two winters before was a dosey. The worst impacted areas were in the mountains with the foothills and desert receiving far less impact. The mountains in those units sure are pretty, the deer have just really suffered in them. If I paid for a non-resident deer tag I'd be concentrating on the late season archery hunts in the flat country.   

Online andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 10:34:47 AM »
All the units you listed the deer populations are suffering. Last winters late heavy snow was hard on deer and two winters before was a dosey. The worst impacted areas were in the mountains with the foothills and desert receiving far less impact. The mountains in those units sure are pretty, the deer have just really suffered in them. If I paid for a non-resident deer tag I'd be concentrating on the late season archery hunts in the flat country.
Please inform me on which units have late season archery and flat country because the 3 I know of that offer late archery for mule deer are anything but flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 12:00:36 PM »
Please inform me on which units have late season archery and flat country because the 3 I know of that offer late archery for mule deer are anything but flat.

Compared to the units he listed 39, 55, and 63 are pretty mild.

Online andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 04:15:32 PM »

Compared to the units he listed 39, 55, and 63 are pretty mild.
Have you ever hunted 39? Lot of vertical and very little flat

Offline huntnut26

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 04:57:24 PM »
Thanks for the report, that's what I was thinking from what I've read and by word of mouth.  I'll pass it on to him, he has been talking to some locals also hopefully it works out and he finds a quality spot. Archery has been our main hunting method here in WA so I'm sure he'll pay the small fee for archery permit.

Online andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 06:02:36 PM »
Thanks for the report, that's what I was thinking from what I've read and by word of mouth.  I'll pass it on to him, he has been talking to some locals also hopefully it works out and he finds a quality spot. Archery has been our main hunting method here in WA so I'm sure he'll pay the small fee for archery permit.
If he’s good at keeping his yap shut I’ve got a little out of the way spot I was gonna hit solo next weekend. My wife might feel more comfortable with me having a partner along though. I’ll be rolling out of the treasure valley late Friday night. You can PM me if this sounds like a good option for him

Offline huntnut26

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 04:31:55 PM »
You don't have to worry about him, he is very responsible and I've taught him from a young age to be respectful of other hunters and their spots. He has only hunted with me or we solo hunt so any info is safe.

Offline dr.derek

• Heart shot hunter
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 11:58:39 PM »
I’ll be in 50.
bucks ducks trucks  . . . and bulls.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter