collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Life without a tractor  (Read 7556 times)

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Life without a tractor
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »
Why did you go with Mahindra instead of one of the main brands ? I'm looking now for a tractor/mower and have pretty much narrowed it down to a Kubota L2501. 

Side note I'd like to see that Operator open a beer without the special " attachments" on his bucket. Best I've done Is grab a water bottle with a Cat 325 excavator bucket and thumb and give it to my buddy in the ditch  :tup:

I bought a brand new 2501 last year. It’s ok. I’m also a heavy equipment operator by trade and this was my first garden tractor type machine so maybe my expectations were just too high. I was fairly set on Kubota so I didn’t shop around too much, pretty sure it’s better than the John Deere but probably should have shopped other brands a little harder. I’ve never looked at the Kioti’s in person but a couple of my buddies on the west side have bought them lately and are very happy with them.

Offline pup0025

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2019, 01:13:47 PM »
For me it was the dealer.  I bought my Mahindra from Ernie's imports from mollala Oregon.  He is retired and shut down now.  Great guy super friendly and helpful.  There's a Kubota dealer closer called Dan's tractor in battleground.  I had full intentions on buying a Kubota from him.  I went in there and asked him if I could look at a few tractors.  He asked me what my projects, intentions, and expectations.  I told him my first project was cleaning up around the house and needed to burn some brush but I would be mowing my field and needed a brush hog with it.  He told me a tractor is all wrong for me and I would be better off renting an excavator and tractor from him as needed.  Don't buy one he said just rent.  I tried to argue...but just went elsewhere. Nothing against Kubota. Just the dealer.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »
Kubota is overpriced and a lot of people say over rated.  They will Nickle and dime you to death with add ons that should be included.  This was my experience when I priced one out.  I ended up with a Massey shuttle shift and couldn't be happier.  Got more tractor with upgraded bucked and hydraulic lines for no extra cost.  Look for the horse power you need and options you want and then shop around for a good dealer.......way more important than make of tractor in my opinion.   

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2019, 02:42:07 PM »
Why did you go with Mahindra instead of one of the main brands ? I'm looking now for a tractor/mower and have pretty much narrowed it down to a Kubota L2501. 

Side note I'd like to see that Operator open a beer without the special " attachments" on his bucket. Best I've done Is grab a water bottle with a Cat 325 excavator bucket and thumb and give it to my buddy in the ditch  :tup:

There is a Mahindra dealer right down the road, so I figured service/ support was right there.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2019, 03:00:19 PM »

I bought a brand new 2501 last year. It’s ok. I’m also a heavy equipment operator by trade and this was my first garden tractor type machine so maybe my expectations were just too high. I was fairly set on Kubota so I didn’t shop around too much, pretty sure it’s better than the John Deere but probably should have shopped other brands a little harder. I’ve never looked at the Kioti’s in person but a couple of my buddies on the west side have bought them lately and are very happy with them.
Do you regreat the 2501 ? My main want for a tractor is to mow my almost 4 acres . I do it now with a quad and 52" pull behind Swisher , have to stay on top of it though . Otherwise I need to go get my dad's tractor and mower and turn a 4hr job into 7 hrs. Not even interested in Deere , for the same machine equipped like the Bota it's like 15k more.
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »
I can't live without one on the farm.  My next one is going to be a 117hp Case IH U series.  Gotta be able to handle 1,000 pound round bales year round.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 03:27:00 PM by PolarBear »

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2019, 05:50:10 PM »

Do you regreat the 2501 ? My main want for a tractor is to mow my almost 4 acres . I do it now with a quad and 52" pull behind Swisher , have to stay on top of it though . Otherwise I need to go get my dad's tractor and mower and turn a 4hr job into 7 hrs. Not even interested in Deere , for the same machine equipped like the Bota it's like 15k more.

Not sure which Deere you looked at but for nearly identical machines I was priced within about $800 of each other Deere vs Kubota. The Kubota was just heavier, and had a little better breakout strenght etc. I haven't run anything off the PTO yet other than an auger (did fine with that) but that seems like it might be a weak point with the 2501 for some implements. From what the dealer told me its just the 33 horse model governed down to under 25 HP so it doesn't have to have the DEF system, and I believe there is a way to turn it back up to the full 33 HP but I haven't messed with it. So that might fix that problem. Other than that my only complaint is that it just feels a little bit cheap, you can tell it's the "economy" model and some of the levers etc feel like they are kind of light duty. I don't regret buying it because for the price with 0% and the warranty you really can't go wrong, but I do wish I would have just spent another 15 grand and got myself a mini x instead, would have been more helpful on my particular property plus i could do side jobs with it. But like I said I don't mow with mine.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2019, 08:07:09 PM »
Deere and Kubota has gone down in quality and ip in price. Their “hobby farm” tractors are not what they use to be. If you can get a good used one that is 15 years or older you will have a better rig. The majority of my hay and cattle brothers are ditching Deere snd Kubota for Case IH and New Holland. 

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2019, 09:23:12 PM »
Deere and Kubota has gone down in quality and ip in price. Their “hobby farm” tractors are not what they use to be. If you can get a good used one that is 15 years or older you will have a better rig. The majority of my hay and cattle brothers are ditching Deere snd Kubota for Case IH and New Holland.

After messing around on a new Kubota I'm sticking with my 55 year old international

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2019, 09:42:08 PM »
I have a 1952 Ford 8n that I use more than anything. About ready to retire it and do a ground up restoration.

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2019, 10:28:09 PM »
I have a 1952 Ford 8n that I use more than anything. About ready to retire it and do a ground up restoration.

:tup: I've got a '48 8N. I mostly use it to mow down a couple pastures that get out of control and to spread the horse crap around. The trip-bucket is pretty limited, but for $2500 I'll deal with it.

Offline timberghost72

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Seattle Rifle & Pistol
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2019, 10:45:02 AM »
I love my tractor. Upgraded from a Kubota B6100 to this JD 2025R in May. I recently purchased a 48" forklift attachment and freakin love it. I use it all the time. Takes about 60 seconds to detach the front bucket and attach the forklift. Could not be easier. I really want to purchase a PTO chipper but having a hard time opening my wallet for it. I do miss the Kubota though. Wish I kept it but sold it for more than I purchased it for 15 years ago. It was a great machine, just too small anymore. A couple of pics of the Kubota and JD.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]