collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fall season turkey??  (Read 10676 times)

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
Re: Fall season turkey??
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 07:06:17 PM »
Jason, I can send you pins on OnX of where I’ve seen them here lately in 101. Really wish 204 had a fall turkey. We’re on the border and have 3-4 dozen that lounge around
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 09:36:49 PM »
Team Spokane of the WDFW have a nuisance list they put out by GMU. I've hunted multiple properties on the list and these are people who want the turkey removed so they are very accommodating. It's a great resource for new hunters to get some experience patterning fall flocks and working on communicating with land owners. I've found that in most areas where one person has taken the trouble of getting WDFW involved  the neighbors are usally open to hunting too if you are polite and squared away. If you are in the Spokane/Colville area in the fall you will see turkey. It's a great confidence boost for new hunters to get into birds when they are flocked, epecially if you got skunked first time out in the spring. I can share some pins as well with new hunters in 117.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 04:13:24 PM »
Tagging in.

Heading to spokane this coming weekend. I’ve never had great luck hunting turkey in rain, but that’s what it’s supposed to do sat-sun. This is my only free time to go. Any tips for hunting these guys in the rain? I hear they stay in the woods and out of the rain.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Big game archer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 04:29:24 PM »
Tagging in.

Heading to spokane this coming weekend. I’ve never had great luck hunting turkey in rain, but that’s what it’s supposed to do sat-sun. This is my only free time to go. Any tips for hunting these guys in the rain? I hear they stay in the woods and out of the rain.

Thanks in advance.

A little rain doesn't seem to bother them much imo. They are in pretty large fall groups right now, so finding the hen/poult groups shouldn't be too hard if you are in an area that holds a decent number of birds. Finding tom groups on the other hand, can be difficult this time of the year.

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »
Heading over the weekend of the 20th hopefully get on some birds!! Two hens, Two Toms/jakes if Im reading the regs correctly for the units in the NE corner?

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 05:54:55 PM »
Thanks! Hopefully the rain doesn’t put a hamper on the hunt.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 06:53:16 PM »
2 of either sex and 2 beardless.  So you could get 2 toms and 2 hens or all 4 heans or 1 tom 3 hens but you have to for sure get 2 hens.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline ljsommer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 07:37:23 PM »
May be heading east last weekend in September, trying to break my streak of "being skunked by every huntable species in WA for 3 years running".

Offline linxx77

• Hunter
  • President-Washington Waterfowl Association
    • www.facebook.com/linxx77
    • Washington Waterfowl Association-Spokane Facebook
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »
Had a large group of about 10-15 come through the clearing on Sunday. 3 shots got me  2 hens and 1 Jake. After they scattered I tried calling them back. They actually started gobbling back! Thought that was pretty rare for the fall. Actually saw a few come back my way, and i was hoping to get a fourth, but they decided to go elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
orbis non sufficit

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2019, 10:36:19 AM »
Had a large group of about 10-15 come through the clearing on Sunday. 3 shots got me  2 hens and 1 Jake. After they scattered I tried calling them back. They actually started gobbling back! Thought that was pretty rare for the fall. Actually saw a few come back my way, and i was hoping to get a fourth, but they decided to go elsewhere.

They will gobble but it is probably more of a warning or finding others.  It is rare though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »
Are people walking roads to find these birds or are you setting up on a big field somewhere? I tried road-walking last spring but had a heck of a time getting situated in a way that wasn't moving too much or making too much noise.

Offline linxx77

• Hunter
  • President-Washington Waterfowl Association
    • www.facebook.com/linxx77
    • Washington Waterfowl Association-Spokane Facebook
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2019, 11:38:49 AM »
Are people walking roads to find these birds or are you setting up on a big field somewhere? I tried road-walking last spring but had a heck of a time getting situated in a way that wasn't moving too much or making too much noise.

Setting up In a field/open area that gets a daily traffic of birds. They spook too easy to stalk and shoot for me. I know people do it well, but I stomp through the forest no matter how quiet I try to be.

orbis non sufficit

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 07:03:16 PM »
Team Spokane of the WDFW have a nuisance list they put out by GMU. I've hunted multiple properties on the list and these are people who want the turkey removed so they are very accommodating. It's a great resource for new hunters to get some experience patterning fall flocks and working on communicating with land owners. I've found that in most areas where one person has taken the trouble of getting WDFW involved  the neighbors are usally open to hunting too if you are polite and squared away. If you are in the Spokane/Colville area in the fall you will see turkey. It's a great confidence boost for new hunters to get into birds when they are flocked, epecially if you got skunked first time out in the spring. I can share some pins as well with new hunters in 117.
How do you get a hold of this list?!

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2019, 09:51:05 PM »

If you are hunting eastern Washington find the open fields and cattle ranches. Knock on doors and ask for permission to hunt. If you drive through these areas mid morning, say 10 through 1 you will usally see birds. When you spot a flock find the nearest home and make a new friend. I just spent all day meeting landowners and getting private access here in the Colville area. Great people and too many birds.

How do you get a hold of this list?!

Email teamspokane@dfw.wa.gov and ask for the nuisance list for the GMUs you plan to hunt. Alot of people in the Elk-Chattaroy area. Same people on the list for many years. Lots of turkey to remove.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 08:28:43 AM »
That sounds amazing but I'll admit, it's a little intimidating for me as a West-sider. I've had a heck of a lot of rejections and no acceptances. The idea of someone actually WANTING me to hunt on their land is very foreign/almost unbelievable!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]