collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fall season turkey??  (Read 10681 times)

Offline EWUeagles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Fall season turkey??
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 11:11:00 AM »
That sounds amazing but I'll admit, it's a little intimidating for me as a West-sider. I've had a heck of a lot of rejections and no acceptances. The idea of someone actually WANTING me to hunt on their land is very foreign/almost unbelievable!

I knew a guy in college that at every party he went up to the hottest girl there and hit on. If he got a no he would move onto the next hottest girl and so on. I asked him once why he did that he said it's all about playing the percentages. He knew he wouldn't always strike out but all he needed was one. It's the same with knocking on doors. You're going to get more no than yes's but you still have to try and work the percentages. Nobody wants you to hunt their land but a bottle of booze, goose jerky or a friendly conversation might let you hunt their property.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 10:28:19 AM »
So did the goose jerky ever work for the Hot girls?  :)
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2019, 04:22:41 PM »
Heading over to the North East this Friday. Has anyone been hunting turkeys this fall??

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2019, 08:41:29 PM »
Seven out of eight tags filled this past week. First turkey for everyone in my group except me. We spent a day and half scouting and five days killin'. Plenty of good fall turkey hunting to be shared by all.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline Lady Grouse hunter

• Love life as it is and don't waste another minute of it...
  • Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
  • NRA member
    • n/a
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2019, 12:44:10 AM »
Russ, thank you for these valuable tips indeed. I will be trying to ambush birds in a Sage brush setting. Lots of Desert birds over east...
One thing in LIFE is,,, We cannot out run time!

Offline 253shotgunner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GSSF, TSC
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2019, 07:55:51 AM »
I just got back from NE WA GMU 117 and harvested my first two turkeys ever! Here is what I saw:
Friday scouting day:
Little Pend Oreille Nat'l Wildlife Refuge = 2 x 6 = 12 turkeys
Road to LPONWR = 20 turkey group trying to cross the road between houses
Private land scout = 6 turkeys in one group
Saturday hunting day:
21 turkey group = feeding on private land, knocked on door, got permission to hunt and harvested my first turkey ever! I shot it at just before 12 noon.
12 turkey group hens = feeding on private land on lower elevations as I scouted around further
Sunday final hunting day:
2 male turkeys = feeding on same private land and I harvested my 2nd turkey ever. Shot it at 7 am so that meant I only hunted for 50 minutes that day.

Bottom line: You need to scout your selected area, knock on doors and figure out their fall eating patterns. I saw approximately 73 turkeys in 2.5 days and I filled my two tags left over from my miserable spring turkey season. I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 08:01:11 AM by 253shotgunner »
Turkey Geek

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2019, 05:04:20 PM »
I went out this past weekend for my first fall turkey hunt . I spring hunted in 117 south Colville on public land . I was close on a few Toms but couldn’t get them to commit. We hunted between Addy and Colville on 98 percent public land . I would guess I saw between 50 - 75 turkeys between Friday morning and Saturday night . I asked permission on two properties, one was very happy to have me hunt and welcomed me . The second owner to so much and was denied access. The reason was some one shot there cow turkey hunting last spring. Thanks A$$ clown. There property had a lot of turkeys. My friend and I both got a turkey on public land . We were just walking quietly down an overgrown logging road we a flock crossed in front of us about 30 yards ahead . They saw us and quickly headed down a very steep hill . I ran quickly up to the edge to see where they were headed. Luckily they just stopped there. I put my bead on the first full grown bird and fired and killed a hen from about 25 yards . My buddy was second to shoot taking another hen before the flock busted out of there. We both had gotten our first turkey and to boot it was his first hunt ever! I want to Thank Washington_backcountry for all the information and support with keeping at it !! I also want to Thank The Stove Pipe kid , for taking the time to give me spots to scout and private land to ask about permission!! 

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2019, 06:04:39 AM »
I've been waiting for your report Jason. What an exciting hunt! I'm glad you found success. Nothing like being a newer hunter taking out a totally new hunter and both notching tags.  I'm really enjoying all the successful turkey hunts from this year.  The best part is once you get in the groove and start taking birds it get much easier to take birds the next season. Keep it up. We saw over 200 birds in just a few days. They will continue to flock up on private land as the year progresses. I tagged four birds last year, the last two in late November as the snow was starting. If anyone is in the dumps from spring, go notch your tag on a NE turkey like Jason did.

Offline Hercflyer

• Pilgrim
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2019, 01:11:27 PM »
My buddy and I hunted GMU 117 this past weekend. Saw a ton of birds! We spent Friday getting permission from landowners and scouting. Did not have a ton of issues getting permission. In fact, most we spoke to were more than happy to see a few birds go as they are considered a nuisance out there. Tried stalking Saturday and eventually used a blind on Sunday. It was all on private lands, and the blind belonged to a local who insisted we use it. We were bow hunting, so even though we were presented with a ton of opportunities to take birds, we didn’t have any ethical/sure shots so we came he empty handed. This was our very first hunt for the both of us, so it was a great learning experience. I for sure am going back next weekend to try again. I was able to call the birds and get a call back, but I think waiting in ambush is the better route since I’m not experienced enough to stalk. Big shout out to Russ for the tips!

Offline linxx77

• Hunter
  • President-Washington Waterfowl Association
    • www.facebook.com/linxx77
    • Washington Waterfowl Association-Spokane Facebook
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2019, 01:22:31 PM »
My buddy and I hunted GMU 117 this past weekend. Saw a ton of birds! We spent Friday getting permission from landowners and scouting. Did not have a ton of issues getting permission. In fact, most we spoke to were more than happy to see a few birds go as they are considered a nuisance out there. Tried stalking Saturday and eventually used a blind on Sunday. It was all on private lands, and the blind belonged to a local who insisted we use it. We were bow hunting, so even though we were presented with a ton of opportunities to take birds, we didn’t have any ethical/sure shots so we came he empty handed. This was our very first hunt for the both of us, so it was a great learning experience. I for sure am going back next weekend to try again. I was able to call the birds and get a call back, but I think waiting in ambush is the better route since I’m not experienced enough to stalk. Big shout out to Russ for the tips!

Great pics! Welcome to the boards, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
orbis non sufficit

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2019, 01:26:32 PM »
Great update. Keep at it. Find a good spot they will come into where you can hold full draw. Pattern and ambush is my primary method in fall. Keep us posted. Flocks will start getting big come November.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 06:22:58 AM »
Looks like you had fun.  :tup:  I am heading out tomorrow.  The wife and I tomorrow and Friday and then I have an active duty sailor from a carrier I am taking out Saturday.  Also if you get a chance call the nuisance coordinator or bio at the state WDFW office there in Spokane.  He can put you on to some land owners to call for permission to hunt.  Remember this is the time that we have to wear the blaze orange.  During modern fire arm seasons.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2019, 08:39:07 PM »
The 16th was our 20th aniversary.  So the wifea said you want to go turkey hunting for our aniversary.  We decided to take off today and go scout out a property we got permission to hunt near Deer Park.  Got there saw 4-5 birds while out walking the property.  No way to cut them off so we just kept going.  Came back to the truck so we could go to the hotel and get checked in.  Got busted by a dozen or so that wee near the truck.  The land owner said come back this evening hundreds would be in the field.  Got back around 4 and hand at least 100 in the field.  We couldn't  get away fromnour truck because they were all around us.  Finally after an hour of playing cat and mouse to get into a good position.  Posted up on a fence line and they were playing around about 150 yards away.  On top of that it starts raining.  Didnt affect the burds at all.  Started doing some kee kee runs and puts.  Some deep yelps and wouldn't you know they start wondering over.  Wife got not only her first bird ever but doubled up with a second one.  I also doubled up at the same time.  Now going to take a active duty sailor out Saturday.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2019, 07:03:17 AM »
Great job Russ! I've been preaching for the last year that everyone should always have two tags and be ready to take a double. Speaking first hand you regret letting a bird walk more than eating a $16 tag. Congrats on the wife's first, and second, bird. Good luck on Saturday.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2019, 11:42:34 AM »
Great photos! I'm doing my upland hunting thing with my setter right now, but I'm staying high until the weather puts snakes down in the lower areas. But I'm thinking of bringing my 12ga and camo and setting up for turkeys somewhere in the basin as kind of an added bonus to upland hunting this year. Are there preferred units to hunt in in the basin? I always hunt turkey in the Grande Ronde in the spring and I've never hunted fall birds, or anywhere besides the Chief Joseph WA, for that matter. I didn't get a bird this spring and I'd like to give it another shot. I have the spring turkey license and transport tag(s) from my spring hunt.

I love this time of year, you can hunt upland, waterfowl, and turkeys.

Thanks,
Cliff

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal