collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2019 COHO REPORT  (Read 24565 times)

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: 2019 COHO REPORT
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2019, 06:41:29 AM »
You using spoons?  I prefer to fish hoockies as two hooks are better than one.  Tough not to have one or two pop off.  Keeping their heads in the water until the last second is what I try to do.

I’ve pretty much lost fish with spoons, hoochies and a plain double hook with herring. One day we lost 6 at the boat  :bash: When a fish is on, do you guys go to neutral or keep at trolling speed?

Keep it in gear, slow down maybe but keep the boat moving to help keep slack out of the line.  All charter boats captains do that and every "expert" giving a how-to seminar that I've gone to says the same thing. 

A lot of fish are lost when the flasher breaks the surface as the line angle changes.  That allows slack in the line and moves the angle of the hook; be aware of that and be prepared to move the rod angle to compensate.  Don't horse the fish but keep steady pressure on them.

With all that said, I lose plenty of fish so you may want to ignore all my advice.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2019, 07:54:58 AM »
Swim 'em in! I try and get that sweet spot where the flasher is out of the water,  boat in gear, and you are just swimming them along.  Easy does it right into the net. I to lose fish but blame it on anything but me!

Side note,  I'd like to get a pair of work guys out for a weekday shot at a few. Timing wise,  area 9 and 10...2nd week of Sept should be hopping? Predictions of run timing?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2019, 07:58:11 AM »
I keep it in gear and going the same speed to keep additional pressure on the fish as well as keep my other gear from getting tangled.  If you take it out of gear, chances are wind or tide will swing your boat around and then any other rods still out will get all messed up.  It also helps keep the fish coming in to the boat in a straight line although coho are notorious for not playing nice there.  For coho, I always have 3 lines out and sometimes up to 5.  In that case, stopping or changing direction is a big no-no.

The only time I will take the boat out of gear or alter my troll is if I have a really big fish that is having his way with us and I'll pull the other gear and then run the kicker to keep the fish on the side of the boat I want to net them on.  This is more a chinook thing, but a 12+ coho with a smaller or inexperienced person on the rod can be a circus.

That's true for all my trolling except sockeye, which we may never get to fish for again anyway.

Finally, it depends on the fish and hook size.  I don't lose too many chinook, definitely more coho and sometimes over 50% of the pinks.  Smaller hooks and more acrobatic fish lead to problems with barbless hooks for sure.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2019, 08:49:38 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback! I’ve notice we’ve had the best success keeping at trolling speed and keeping a straight path. I’m definitely going to try playing around with the the flasher in the water or out of the water longer. Both make sense. When I think back on it, when the flasher comes out of the water is about the time the line pops out of the fishes mouth.

Stein, what size hooks are you typically using for coho/pinks?
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline cavemann

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2019, 09:01:52 AM »
I'll agree with the flasher..  right as it comes out of the water you get a little slack and then the rod rebounds and jerks from the drag changing and hook comes out.  I like to try to put tip near water or sometimes even in water, but it's not easy when you are trying to get them close enough to net..  Honestly, its just the thing with silvers.   Lose more than any other fish at the boat.  Also, don't set the hook on a silver.  Often if you do you have already partially pulled it out.  They are tripple biters in that they hit, hit and then take the whole thing.  Maybe you are grabbing rod too soon on hook up as well??  If I lose them, I always tell myself I saw a fin anyway!!  Clean release of a wild.

In any event, it's a good problem to have..

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2019, 09:22:00 AM »
I'll agree with the flasher..  right as it comes out of the water you get a little slack and then the rod rebounds and jerks from the drag changing and hook comes out.  I like to try to put tip near water or sometimes even in water, but it's not easy when you are trying to get them close enough to net..  Honestly, its just the thing with silvers.   Lose more than any other fish at the boat.  Also, don't set the hook on a silver.  Often if you do you have already partially pulled it out.  They are tripple biters in that they hit, hit and then take the whole thing.  Maybe you are grabbing rod too soon on hook up as well??  If I lose them, I always tell myself I saw a fin anyway!!  Clean release of a wild.

That’s a few suggesting tip near or in the water, I’m going to have to give that a try. I was taught from a little boy to keep that tip up!

I’m also going to give not setting the hook a try!

In area 10, you can keep wild or hatchery coho.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2019, 09:32:34 AM »
I was taught same thing, but have learned the reason for tip up is for tension.  Also hook angle as well, but...  You can keep pressure as long as you keep the bend in the rod.  Keeping the flasher in water definitely helps and thats best way to do it.  Also, keeping rod angle closer to surface can help keep them from going aerial...  That said, there are 50 ways to do it and some might have different take.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2019, 09:33:11 AM »
I usually run 4/0 or 5/0 for coho and I changed from 2/0 to 4/0 for pinks this year as well.  I might experiment with even larger hooks just to see what happens.

That's for hoochie rigs, you are limited on hardware and I try to stay the same size as factory or a touch bigger but I'm always afraid of ruining the action.  I should get a good number of days on the water this year so I might experiment a bit more.

I'm always afraid to go too big, but then you catch 8" shakers on 3/0s so there should be no good reason.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2019, 09:33:33 AM »
I agree with not setting the hook. If they ate it off a downrigger, they already set their own hook. Just reel up tight and start fighting. I will usually not even pull the rod from the holder until I've reeled the line up tight. Trust me you can reel much faster in the holder than in your hands.

Tip up with a flasher is a death sentence. Once those flashers get air behind them they jerk and pull and flop all over. Very hard to land fish with them in the air. Tip low until ready to net is the key.

Sorry I'm just reiterating what everyone else said. Carry on.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2019, 10:06:44 AM »
I usually run 4/0 or 5/0 for coho and I changed from 2/0 to 4/0 for pinks this year as well.  I might experiment with even larger hooks just to see what happens.

That's for hoochie rigs, you are limited on hardware and I try to stay the same size as factory or a touch bigger but I'm always afraid of ruining the action.  I should get a good number of days on the water this year so I might experiment a bit more.

I'm always afraid to go too big, but then you catch 8" shakers on 3/0s so there should be no good reason.

That’s the basic size hooks we're running also.  I hear you on the shakers, I wonder sometimes what those fish are thinking going after that sized gear 🤣.

I’m think my problem is tip high when the flasher is out of the water, I’m going to focus on keeping the tip down with the flasher in the water maintaining constant tension.

Ohh and I bought a much longer and bigger net...🤣
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2019, 10:34:51 AM »

That’s a few suggesting tip near or in the water, I’m going to have to give that a try. I was taught from a little boy to keep that tip up!

I’m also going to give not setting the hook a try!

In area 10, you can keep wild or hatchery coho.

That was probably back when we could use Barbed hooks as well.
For Coho and kokanee, I will put the tip in the water when they get close to the surface.
Never had too with Kings.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2019, 09:33:18 AM »
Anyone have any success out in areas 9 or 10 this weekend?  I was getting limits of Coho last year at this time.  Saturday I caught one small Coho and some shakers.  Planning to chase them this next weekend.

SR1

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2019, 09:42:17 AM »
WDFW's creel reports are showing OK catches in 10 but spotty from day to day and not much in 9 or 8-2. 

Offline Yinzer

• Pilgrim
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2019, 12:47:57 PM »
I am starting to think that I need lessons on how to fish area 10, last two Sundays have not been good for me with 4 fish of little size.   Anyone having any luck and if so want to share any info?   

Offline ryanfam

• Tracker
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2019, 01:15:02 PM »
This weekend was tough fishing. Should pick up after the rains slow down. After hours of trolling Saturday we did get a triple and managed to land all three :tup:. Just got lucky and trolled through a school out deep 600+ feet of water. One on a cutplug herring and the other two on Brad's cut plug. Speed 3mph and depths were 20/60/80. If at all possible leave the other rods in when you get a fish on. Hope this helps. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]