collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2019 COHO REPORT  (Read 24579 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: 2019 COHO REPORT
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2019, 11:07:58 AM »
We finished with two bites and two fish in the bag, 7# and 4#.  There was a small bite at daylight and another small bite at 1:30 or so, I never saw more than one fish on at a time.

We trolled 30.1 miles on the Lowrance which brings my two day total to 127 boat miles total.

My son is on the leaderboard, so that is cool.

Hard to think that with the historic peak of the run being in the next couple of days, I'm starting to winterize the boat today.  Great chinook fishing (what little there was), off the hook pinks, solid to excellent shrimp, poor crab and ok very short coho season.

Overall summary was good and bad, we didn't get any bones thrown our way on the good and were hit hard on the bad, seemed like a one way ratchet from WDFW.

Looking forward, between the environmental groups, NOAA, WDFW and others, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.  Fishing in the sound and islands is one of my favorite things in the world, I just hope it doesn't become a memory.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »
Funster at least your getting action :tup: We were trolling area 523 from 10am to 5pm.
my best luck with coho has always been first light...
kinda why i like kings better, you can fish the late morning tides  :chuckle:

Notice I didn't say 9-5 for banker hours  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2019, 02:19:18 PM »
I suspect the extremely wet weather has changed the timing.  I did a little river fishing and the coho were moving up river so fast it’s hard to catch them.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2019, 03:05:46 PM »
That's my thought as well.  Edmonds was absolutely loaded the week of the 13th and now its tough fishing.  For the Everett derby, it's always the salt guys praying for sun and the river guys praying for rain.  That said, looking at the creel reports, 9 never really got moving for coho.  I don't know about 8-2, but if 9 wasn't producing, 8-2 wouldn't either.

Strange year for coho, it was phenomenal for a week and then turned off like a switch.  On the 13th I was thinking the run was going to break the forecast easily and now I have to agree with WDFW.

The fish seem to be a tad smaller on average, the real change I noticed is on the low end.  We turned back several in the 2-4 pound range which fairly unusual on my boat at least.  There seemed to be many more in the 2-5 pound class than prior years.

Shaker City was well populated, so hopefully the ocean blob doesn't keep building and we should be in decent shape.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »
Still a lot of fish coming down from the ocean...best fishing is, ( would of been) the next few weeks...

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2019, 03:23:02 PM »
Hmmmm
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2019, 03:34:40 PM »
There was a good bite this morning off West Point.  We got two limits in under an hour and a half.  I am grateful but was hoping for some bigger fish this season.  Today’s fish were between 5 and 6ish pounds.

SR1

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2019, 05:57:52 PM »
Not the best fishing, but there are fish around. Just not many big ones. I brought 5 adults to the boat yesterday morning trying for a proper derby fish, but best was just over 6 lbs. I had a hard time keeping them buttoned today, went 2 for 6.  Only fish that made it to the boat today were of the 4 lb variety. But they will still eat fine in moose camp!

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2019, 07:17:12 PM »
I’m hoping that when the B run starts they’ll average double digits. 😉🥃🇺🇸

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2019, 07:33:31 PM »
Our boat limited out today. Didn’t catch a big enough fish to place in the derby but we had a lot of fun, even in the rain!

I don’t know if you had to be out there early(even though we were out before sun up) we caught most of our fish around 10-11 both days. The wilds in area 9 a little above of Apple tree were on fire yesterday. We couldn’t keep them off around 3-4pm.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »
Outstanding! 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑😉🥃🇺🇸

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2019, 08:46:23 PM »
Still a lot of fish coming down from the ocean...best fishing is, ( would of been) the next few weeks...

I'm sure the commercials and our management partners will have a fine time with the peak of the run.  I'm not bashing either, they should have their fair share, I'm just wondering sport fishers are always holding the short straw.  Actually, I'm not wondering as much as wishing the truth were different.

The Everett derby was a great event as always.  Tons of prizes, great volunteers and very well run.  Thanks to everyone that bought Scout popcorn, the money will do much to introduce kids to fishing and the outdoors.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:55:46 PM by Stein »

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
Stein, do you think bigger fish will start to come into the sound? Everything I’m reading says this years run of coho are just smaller. Seeing the leaderboards top 5 makes me wonder? Our biggest fish this weekend were 7.5, 6.5 and 6lbs. My dad said back in the day they used to boat double digit weight fish on average.

Congrats to your son for making the leaderboard, he must’ve been pumped!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

Offline cavemann

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2019, 10:15:14 AM »
Nice haul Funk!!!  South sound rivers are fishing decent.  Still some kings hanging around with decent color as well.  Plenty dark ones but here and there some fresh ones.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2019, 10:42:25 AM »
Nice haul Funk!!!  South sound rivers are fishing decent.  Still some kings hanging around with decent color as well.  Plenty dark ones but here and there some fresh ones.

Thanks man! We put in long hours to get those! We could’ve had our limits on Saturday also but we were trying to get the big one for the derby if you know what I mean! Here’s our Saturday catch.

Has anyone fished lake Washington for coho? I heard a couple of guys boat ramp talking about fishing that this week. I didn’t even know that fishery existed, looked it up and sure enough it’s open. 
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal