collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Frustrated - Rabbits everywhere where I live. Can't find a place to hunt them.  (Read 4396 times)

Offline Davidicus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
I just picked up my daughter and her two friends and drove them home. While out I saw four rabbits. Sometimes I'll have two sitting on my front lawn.

I've tried hunting them around the Vancouver Lake Shillapoo area as it has some nice blackberry islands dispersed throughout but I haven't had any luck.

Offline 71Shovelhead

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
I feel your pain. Love hunting them. Cant find a decent place. People say drive logging road and shot them on the edge. Couple problems with that.

Offline smithkl42

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/smithkl42/
    • Would-BeTheologian
Are you allowed to shoot a bow where you live? How about an air rifle?
"Marriage is a duel to the death, which no man of honor should decline." - GKC

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
I feel your pain. Love hunting them. Cant find a decent place. People say drive logging road and shot them on the edge. Couple problems with that.

What are the problems?
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline SteelDriver

• Pilgrim
I'm new to Hunting and have been experiencing similar frustrations. I was considering looking into the Still Water, Cherry Valley, and Crescent Lake Wildlife Areas as potential rabbit harvest areas as I'm in proximity to them. However, I'm not too familiar with the area or etiquette yet and it seems these are primarily waterfowl and upland bird areas. I'm not sure of the opportunity or if I'd be stepping on a birder’s toes.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
One thing to keep in mind is that you are never going to find suburban population levels in the wild. Neighborhoods are built for these guys. There is an endless supply of food. I've only picked them up as incidental quarry when hunting other things, but dawn and dusk on grassy roadsides has been the one constant.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
I just picked up my daughter and her two friends and drove them home. While out I saw four rabbits. Sometimes I'll have two sitting on my front lawn.

I've tried hunting them around the Vancouver Lake Shillapoo area as it has some nice blackberry islands dispersed throughout but I haven't had any luck.

when in lived in an urban area with rabbits

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Blowgun-Hunting-Weapon/dp/B00169OGX6

:chuckle: :tup:

Offline The Marquis

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout

when in lived in an urban area with rabbits

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Blowgun-Hunting-Weapon/dp/B00169OGX6

:chuckle: :tup:

I'm sure you're kidding, but just for the OP... that's not a legal weapon for cottontails I don't believe.

Offline dadeo316

• Tracker
I've rarely seen them down at vancouver lake but, they are there.  I used to know a guy that would run beagles for them down there and had really good luck.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Offline The Marquis

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
If you go there, you'll find them all just off the public land.  Within eye sight, watching you, laughing whilst procreating.   :bash:

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
Almost any pheasant release site will have rabbits in it.  I run my beagles on a lot of them and there are plenty of rabbits there.  I do usually run there after all pheasant seasons are closed so I don't mess up the folks hunting pheasants but if you don't have dogs and are just walking, I doubt you'd be too much of an intrusion.

If you ever plan to live trap rabbits, I'll suggest that you build a box trap vs. using one of the see through mesh live traps, I've had way better luck with the box traps I build and if I can build one, anyone can..

Offline dadeo316

• Tracker
I hunted vancouver lake this morning for dove.  I missed 1 rabbit on a running shot.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
Wish I had a bird up and flying.  Contact the Washington State Falconer's Association and see if anyone flying a Redtail or Harris Hawk is in your area.  You'll be in for quite a show if you can hook up with a falconer flying a buteo.
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal