collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Archery wind drift  (Read 2190 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Archery wind drift
« on: August 25, 2019, 04:36:20 PM »
I am a few days from a ten day hunt and been shooting daily. The last couple days have been windy so getting reps in regardless. Besides the wind making it harder to hold steady on target, how do you guys compensate for wind drift? Where I shoot, the wind swirls so it’s tough to test it out.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Archery wind drift
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 05:10:27 PM »
Shorten your shots when its windy........get closer or dont risk it.

Offline SuperX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 05:27:39 PM »
you can tip your top limb into the wind as that will cause a slight 'into the wind' shot without you having to aim off your spot.  It takes practice but it isn't hard to figure out how much to tip the limb based on wind speed.

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 07:42:51 PM »
Shoot 560 grain arrows is how I deal with it
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »

This. No brainer.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 11:19:50 PM »
I don’t. I just shoot. The farthest I shoot is 60yds on a open flat range and the wind doesn’t appear to affect my shots.
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 08:10:38 AM »

obviously if its pretty windy and I wasn't comfortable, I wouldn't shoot. With that said, I didn't know if there was some kind of general rule of thumb as far as wind drift
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 09:23:04 AM »
I will say that with the modern, faster bows... coupled with lower profile, smaller diameter graphite shafts w/blazer vanes, the wind affect (talking some, not hurricane gale force) on arrow flight say out to say 40-50 yards (just my ball park estimate on the distance) is not significant.  What a good side or diagonal  wind will really affect is your steady hold and quality release by its impact on holding your bow steady.  Try it sometime when the wind is a blowing.  Shoot a few arrows in between wind gusts at 40 yards, then, purposely wait till the wind is kicking a bit and try a few arrows.  You'll notice a difference on your arrow POI.     
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 10:33:40 AM »
Shoot heavier arrows. The whole spees trend is just false advertising imo. Slower arrows with higher KE are proven to penetrate more.
Speed will get it there faster, but they are far less forgiving, Meaning yeah - with wind... any slight breeze could blow you way off the line..  You throw some 250grain valkryie heads with 58grain brass inserts and your golden. What wind???

You want to go the next step. Practice shooting steam inclines and declines. Your gonna be so lost lol. Shooting vertically "uphill inclines" youd think you would need to range more sometimes. Not the case, typically when the arrow is released at a level draw gravity is instantly pulling it to the ground. Yet when you shoot up - your arrow has to reach the point of plateau before gravity really takes over. Thats why sometimes you see guys using 15-20 yard pins for 60+ yard incline/decline shots.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 01:45:48 PM »
Shoot heavier arrows. The whole spees trend is just false advertising imo. Slower arrows with higher KE are proven to penetrate more.
Speed will get it there faster, but they are far less forgiving, Meaning yeah - with wind... any slight breeze could blow you way off the line..  You throw some 250grain valkryie heads with 58grain brass inserts and your golden. What wind???

You want to go the next step. Practice shooting steam inclines and declines. Your gonna be so lost lol. Shooting vertically "uphill inclines" youd think you would need to range more sometimes. Not the case, typically when the arrow is released at a level draw gravity is instantly pulling it to the ground. Yet when you shoot up - your arrow has to reach the point of plateau before gravity really takes over. Thats why sometimes you see guys using 15-20 yard pins for 60+ yard incline/decline shots.

Gravity is always constantly pulling everything down. When shooting up hill or down the only distance that matters is the horizontal distance.

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 02:15:34 PM »

Gravity is always constantly pulling everything down. When shooting up hill or down the only distance that matters is the horizontal distance.
+1 for heavier arrows, they help and really quiet your bow too!  As to incline/decline/gravity, you have to shoot both up or down shorter (cut) than the horizontal distance indicates.  The longer the distance the more you have to cut, same for steepness of incline/decline.  A faster bow lets you cut less.  A normal distance and angle cut is so small, unless you're really shooting steep shots or your bow is really slow, that you shouldn't have to cut very much or at all.  Smossy is right about really steep cuts, it's crazy how much you have to cut, even on the short ones!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]