collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: change in fit of both patches and sabots- Knight Bighorn  (Read 3980 times)

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
change in fit of both patches and sabots- Knight Bighorn
« on: August 26, 2019, 09:29:14 AM »
Hello Sabotloader and other wise ones of the smokepole world- 

I am mentoring a new hunter again this year, and as usual, the new hunter is using my Knight Bighorn.  The most recent bag of shotgun patches I bought seems to be much thicker cotton textile material, and it is very hard to swab out the barrel.  What is happening is that the Windex in the patches is getting squeezed out, the Windex is pooling in the base of the barrel, and causing subsequent ignition problems.  I see my options as A) finding thinner patches, or B) trying to find a smaller diameter cleaning jag. 

The other issue I am having is that the Bloodlines (300 grain, .50 cal) are not fitting well either- much too hard to push down.  I don't know if something has happened to the barrel to cause this change, but what should I do?  Should I go with a crush-rib sabot or another sabot type?

Thanks for your help.  My new hunter is shooting extremely well, and I believe she will be able to harvest her first deer.  However, I do really want to solve these issues with the Bighorn.   Cheers! 

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
Re: change in fit of both patches and sabots- Knight Bighorn
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »
Hello Sabotloader and other wise ones of the smokepole world- 

I am mentoring a new hunter again this year, and as usual, the new hunter is using my Knight Bighorn.  The most recent bag of shotgun patches I bought seems to be much thicker cotton textile material, and it is very hard to swab out the barrel.  What is happening is that the Windex in the patches is getting squeezed out, the Windex is pooling in the base of the barrel, and causing subsequent ignition problems.  I see my options as A) finding thinner patches, or B) trying to find a smaller diameter cleaning jag. 

It is not uncommon to get patches that vary in in thickness and that could certainly cause you to have a great effort in running patches. But... because of the second issue you bring up... I wonder

The other issue I am having is that the Bloodlines (300 grain, .50 cal) are not fitting well either- much too hard to push down.  I don't know if something has happened to the barrel to cause this change, but what should I do?  Should I go with a crush-rib sabot or another sabot type? [/quote]

From this and assuming that the 458x300 combination loaded with a little less ease in the past - I am wondering if you might have a build up of material in the bore.  My suggestion would be to get some JB's bore paste (cleaner) and with a tight patch run a couple hundred strokes ups and down the bore to clean, loosen, and remove any excess build up.   Then clean the bore up - even that will take a bit but that might solve your problems.

Howdy SL -
When you ran your JB paste in your bore - did you just oil a patch and coat with paste and run it with your jag?

Thanks,
Geoff

Yes, you might have to double your patch to get a tight fit. But I ran an oiled patch with JB's smeared on the sides...ran that side 25 strokes top to bottom (important) then flip the patch over and run another 25 strokes. Did this 4 times then clean up the bore and see what you might have accomplished... On my Triumph I think I ran this operation twice.

Hope this helps

mike

Take a look at this video....

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13084/guntechdetail/Using_JB_Bore_Paste_and_Kroil_with_the_VFG_Bore_Pellets

You really do not need to use the fancy stuff he has - just a good tight patch, JB's on a patch that has been treated with a good synthetic bore oil (kinda like making a Windex Patch). A lot of strokes up and down the barrel.

Thanks for your help.  My new hunter is shooting extremely well, and I believe she will be able to harvest her first deer.  However, I do really want to solve these issues with the Bighorn.   Cheers!

Hope this helps - maybe drive it over here and we both will get it done

mike
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:04:18 AM »
Thanks, Mike!  Part of the reason I didn't just call you direct is I wanted to keep the flow of good informative help going on the forum... Hopefully somebody else out there will benefit...

I will pick up some of the JB's- hopefully TriState carries it! 

Thanks again!!!  And I will give you a call soon.  -Mark

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 11:38:05 AM »
Thanks, Mike!  Part of the reason I didn't just call you direct is I wanted to keep the flow of good informative help going on the forum... Hopefully somebody else out there will benefit...

I will pick up some of the JB's- hopefully TriState carries it! 

Thanks again!!!  And I will give you a call soon.  -Mark

If not I have some here...

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 05:21:21 PM »
Hey Sabot!  The Bighorn worked great today. I had the new hunter shooting really well in different positions out to 50 yards. Loading and cleaning are much, much easier now!

My Mountaineer is still shooting tight, even if an inch or so to the right. These four shots were a mixture of offhand and seated (at 50 yes) and a prone shot at 130 yds. It is a great shooting gun!

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 06:52:05 PM »
Shoot! You got to shoot today!!! Dang - I had to mow the yard  :(

Glad things worked out for you... Those are really nice clean hole in your target - bullet is completely stabilized!

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 12:20:17 PM »
I also shot one round of that Lehigh .452 x 265 that you gave me. It was 50 yards from prone position, and I drilled the lower left corner of a 2.5" x 2.5" target. I don't know why it wpuld feel different from a 300 grain Bloodline, but somehow it felt like less kick and a cleaner, crisper shot.

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 12:46:41 PM »
Elkboy looks like your getting excellent groups. I also have a Bighorn I'm trying out a new lead bullet in. What type of powder & how much are you using? I went to the range last week & was all over the place. I was using 110 grains of T7 & think it may have been a little too much. 

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 06:39:28 PM »
Mine likes 110 GR T7 3F and Barnes 290 TMZ.  The elk don't like it so much :IBCOOL:

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 07:04:02 PM »
Mine likes 110 GR T7 3F and Barnes 290 TMZ.  The elk don't like it so much :IBCOOL:

That's exactly what I use w/ great results in my Bighorn & Disc Extreme :tup: I need to use a lead bullet for ID this year & I'm trying a 350 grain conical & I was all over the target so trying to figure why before I blame it on old eyes.  :chuckle:

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 08:35:14 PM »

That's exactly what I use w/ great results in my Bighorn & Disc Extreme :tup: I need to use a lead bullet for ID this year & I'm trying a 350 grain conical & I was all over the target so trying to figure why before I blame it on old eyes.  :chuckle:
I was having similar trouble in my knight ultralite getting an idaho legal bullet to shoot well...No Excuses bullets in 420, 460, and 495 gr all seemed to shoot better than every other brand I tried.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 09:24:11 PM »

I was having similar trouble in my knight ultralite getting an idaho legal bullet to shoot well...No Excuses bullets in 420, 460, and 495 gr all seemed to shoot better than every other brand I tried.

:tup: I also have some "No Excuses" from a prior hunt to fall back on. I am just going after antelope so trying some custom made "Bull Shop 350 grains" (.503 diameter). Going to the range in the next couple days to try again. Thank you for the responses. Sorry if I got too far off track from OP.

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 09:26:14 PM »
Elkboy looks like your getting excellent groups. I also have a Bighorn I'm trying out a new lead bullet in. What type of powder & how much are you using? I went to the range last week & was all over the place. I was using 110 grains of T7 & think it may have been a little too much.

Thanks, Brushbuster! I use 110 grains Triple-Seven FFG.  I used to shoot Powerbelt lead bullets (348 grains), and killed several deer out to 120 yards. However, I have gone to saboted rounds entirely.  I think that you could possibly experiment in the range from 80 to 120 grains of powder, and see where you get the best accuracy. Or, stick with 110 grains, and experiment with different bullets. Sabotloader has me about ready to try full-bore non-lead bullets, and I am curious to see how they do!

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 09:44:13 PM »
Thanks Elkboy. Last Friday was the first time I shot my muzzy since last Oct so I may be a little rusty.  :chuckle: I had done the JB Bore paste treatment before & gave it a little touch up this weekend. I'll try a couple different powder charges to see what I get. Great success this fall & congrats on bringing a new hunter into this sport we all love!  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]