collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: LOST A BEAR  (Read 7716 times)

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: LOST A BEAR
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2019, 08:39:35 AM »
You took a poorly thought out shot. You posted so I assume you can handle the critique.  Now call in sick, find it, tag it. Then go bag number two and do it better.

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2019, 08:40:36 AM »
 :yeah:

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2019, 08:41:54 AM »
Not to be a jerk, but some comments don't make sense saying "you should carry a headlamp" and stuff.It's not the first day,  I have not just one, but 2 plus a flashlight and don't think there's anybody here that can say "I can confidently make a 130-140 yard free hand shot from 300 Win Mag at a vital spot". At the moment, that's your best decision and and we do the best we can. it's easy to say what you could've done better, but we all know that you wouldn't have done any different.
But back to the subject. I'm wondering why till the last moment I left, I could still hear him moving if he was going to die. He was still moving in the bushes for more than 30 mins. The time frame would be more than 30 mins between him getting shot and me leaving, when I left he was still moving.
The meat is probably already spoiled if he died, but I will definitely check again, If I find him dead, i'll notch my tag just to feel better. We win or we learn.

Wow
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2019, 08:42:45 AM »
Go back and look for the bear.

‘Nuf said.

Get back in there this morning before it warms up.  I bet you can salvage it.

Turn this into a success thread.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2019, 08:49:53 AM »
All due respects, Tiger, stop posting and defending yourself, and get your behind out in the woods and finish the job. It's almost 9. You should've been out there by 6. Get some results before you spend any more time on your keyboard.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2019, 09:12:54 AM »

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2019, 09:38:34 AM »
You really should go back and look for that bear, grid or circles, do you have a dog or a friend that has a dog, take the dog for a "walk" (some may disagree with me on that).
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2019, 09:47:21 AM »
Shot one last week at 7:30, got home after 4am. Get back up the hill and find him!
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2019, 11:31:54 AM »

1) If it's still standing, you're still shooting.  I don't care if it's a bear, an elk, or a duck.  Don't ever think "yeah that one shot is probably fine" if it's still on it's legs.

This was a learning experience.
[/quote]

I always preach this to new hunters I take out. It's better to eliminate necessary tracking if you can.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2019, 05:40:13 PM »
Not to be a jerk, but some comments don't make sense saying "you should carry a headlamp" and stuff.It's not the first day,  I have not just one, but 2 plus a flashlight and don't think there's anybody here that can say "I can confidently make a 130-140 yard free hand shot from 300 Win Mag at a vital spot". At the moment, that's your best decision and and we do the best we can. it's easy to say what you could've done better, but...

If you can’t take  a shot you’re 100% confident with,  don’t shoot.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline BGhunter

• Tracker
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2019, 05:47:31 PM »
Going after a bear in the dark with a headlamp in a place we’re you can’t see him in the light at twelve yards is probably not the best idea. No matter how many guys tell you they would’ve. I could be wrong. Assuming that you lost it without putting the effort in to finding it is the issue. That bear is probably within 100 yards from where you heard him last. I would have been there at first light the next day

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2019, 05:47:49 PM »

1) If it's still standing, you're still shooting.  I don't care if it's a bear, an elk, or a duck.  Don't ever think "yeah that one shot is probably fine" if it's still on it's legs.

Even if its not still on its legs.  If i shoot a bear and it hits the ground, im still shooting again.  They can be such a PITA to track.  Id rather give it an unnecessary double tap and maybe ruin a little meat, than lose the entire bear.

Offline frogman338

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2019, 05:49:59 PM »
It's hard to say where you hit him, you might have just nicked him if you didn't find any blood at all. Just because it jumped and rolled doesn't necessarily mean it was fatally wounded. Your bullet might have hit the leg or butt and it had a hard time moving and covering some ground.
If you went to search for him, which I hope you did, I'd love to hear the results. If you end up not finding your bear, it's most likely still eating berries, worst case scenario the nature is the ultimate predator, yotes, birds, etc will get it and it won't be wasted. It's just a good lesson and experience for ya that most hunters have gone through. I can't really give any solid advice or criticize you since you were the one in that situation but I hope you'd learn something from this that will make you better. Just my  :twocents:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2019, 06:25:12 PM »
It's hard to say where you hit him, you might have just nicked him if you didn't find any blood at all. Just because it jumped and rolled doesn't necessarily mean it was fatally wounded. Your bullet might have hit the leg or butt and it had a hard time moving and covering some ground.
If you went to search for him, which I hope you did, I'd love to hear the results. If you end up not finding your bear, it's most likely still eating berries, worst case scenario the nature is the ultimate predator, yotes, birds, etc will get it and it won't be wasted. It's just a good lesson and experience for ya that most hunters have gone through. I can't really give any solid advice or criticize you since you were the one in that situation but I hope you'd learn something from this that will make you better. Just my  :twocents:

I disagree, if you read the narrative again by the OP

Bear jumps in the air, starts rolling for a few seconds, gets up having a hard time running, falls and rolls for a second or two, then then disappears in blackberry bushes, in a nasty nasty place. 

that sounds like it busted a shoulder

The reason I didn't make a second shot is because I initially thought he was pretty much done before he got up and disappeared.

must have been hit pretty good for the OP to have the confidence (and the time) to pass up on a following shot, if it were just a nick the bear would have been gone before a follow up shot could be done, even on a lever gun.

I waited a little, then went towards the bushes. I heard constant "breaking and smashing" noises from the same exact spot about 30 yards below me. after about 15 minutes the noises stopped. I went down there thinking he was just dying, but when I got there, I still heard him moving about 10-15 yards away from me

So from the shot it presumably took the op a few minutes to walk/jog the 130 yards, then "he waited a little" so add time there, then walk 30 yards through thick poky brambles, then wait 15 minutes.   So from shot to time he last heard the bear 15 feet away could have been 20 to 30 minutes. 

Which tells me the bear was hit solid, most likely a shattered shoulder.    I think a head lamp here could have saved the day and perhaps phone a friend. 

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2019, 06:40:53 PM »
Yup I’d bet if you posted the story and that you wanted some help recovering the bear at least a few guys from your area would be willing to drive up and help.   Several times I have dropped what I was doing and headed out to help pack/recover critters.

If any one ever needs help in the ne corner I’m happy to help as best I can.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand