Advertisement

Poll

Lion hunting reg poll

I have sent emails to wdfw requesting increased lion hunting opportunity
55 (70.5%)
I have no intention of sending emails, i really dont care
23 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Official notice that lion changes are on the table for 2020  (Read 38029 times)

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Official notice that lion changes are on the table for 2020
« on: August 29, 2019, 12:18:44 PM »
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

August 29, 2019

WDFW discussing recommendations for the fall 2020 cougar season

OLYMPIA — The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) has assembled an internal working group of department biologists and enforcement officers to develop recommended changes to the cougar hunting seasons. 

After hearing from concerned constituents at the March 2019 commission meeting, the department began reviewing its current cougar hunting rules in order to bring the commission potential amendments for their consideration. 

"Our group has met five times over the last six months to discuss changes to the hunt structure," said Anis Aoude, WDFW game division manager. "After completing our internal process, we will begin a public engagement process to receive feedback from our stakeholders."

In the coming months, WDFW will discuss progress with the Fish and Wildlife Commission at their Wildlife Committee meetings, seek input from key external stakeholders, open a public comment period, host a digital open house with a question and answer session, and provide information through social media.

In addition, the commission will seek public comment as they consider changes during a public hearing on proposed rules in March prior to making a decision in April 2020.

"Public safety remains one of our highest concerns," said Aoude. "This internal cougar working group continues to work at finding the balance between maintaining sustainable cougar populations while also addressing public safety."

On March 5, the department filed a CR-101 that advertises the intent of possible rule making. The CR-101, and any future filings related to this process, can be found at wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is the state agency tasked with preserving, protecting and perpetuating fish, wildlife, and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing and hunting opportunities.

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
Re: Official notice that lion changes are on the table for 2020
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 12:30:01 PM »
Does this mean hound hunting may be back on the table?

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 12:31:06 PM »
Funny guy.  Not a chance.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 12:33:27 PM »
pursuit season probably, but doubtfully a full on hound season

hopefully they'll drop the asinine quotas entirely

I understand trapping is off the table for now I think ??

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 12:34:07 PM »
maybe they will quit shutting down the season as early as they can. seems like they never run the later portion of the season here  :dunno:
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 12:46:42 PM »
Just about an hour before i got this email i sat down and wrote another letter to wdfw about our need for cougar changes.  I saved it as a draft, so that i can sit on it a while incase i decide to add anything.  The way our harvest guideline system is set up now is seriously flawed.  Its basically going off the concept that you can take X% of the adult lion population out every year without reducing the population (though i feel a big reduction is exactly what is needed.)  The problem with this is that they dont know how many lions we have, so how can they come up with a harvest guideline number to accurately reach that percentage?  This is why we should be using the minimum harvest concept instead.  No top end restriction on harvest numbers.  If harvest falls below a predetermined level for a couple years, use that as an indicator that the population is struggling and adjust seasons accordingly.  I dont see numbers ever getting dangerously low without hound hunting and trapping.  I highly doubt we could ever drop them to unsustainable levels with just boot hunting and calling, even if the season was opened up year round like coyotes.
  If we must stick with this harvest guideline system though, which im sure we will be stuck with, a few basic changes would help at least a little.  Right now our general season runs sept 1st through dec 31st before harvest guideline shutdowns go into effect.  Id like to see the general season open august 1st with bear, and go through at least january 31st, if not the end of february.  Also greatly increased quotas are a no brainer.  Second cougar tags should also be available for those fortunate enough to fill their first tag if they are feeling optimistic enough to buy another. 
  What other ideas do you guys have other than hounds?  Keep in mind the ban on hounds isnt wdfws policy, and it can not be changed at their discretion.  It is state law, from voter initiative.

Offline WildlifeAssassin

• Past Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 12:51:40 PM »
Aug 1st - June 1st season, no quotas. Lion populations are in no danger, nor have they ever been.

Offline Buckjunkie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 03:20:13 PM »
Great suggestion Bango...send it

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 03:25:11 PM »
My letter is written up but im sitting on it for a while.  Usually if i fire it off too soon i end up thinking of something else i wanted to add.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »
Nice, I will be sending an email with my thoughts that are similar to yours Bango.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 05:12:18 PM »
I would really love to see trapping opened up for lions too, but thats a pipe dream for sure.  No way would that fly.  But i figure a cat is a cat.  If i could set up an extra large bobcat style trap on that lion highway in my back yard i have to believe it would work.  It would also have the benefit of allowing more selective harvest, like hound hunting.  Give a guy a chance to take a real good close look at the animal to determine if it was one he wanted.  Of course, releasing a cat you didnt want would be a little sketchy.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 06:22:27 PM »
I would really love to see trapping opened up for lions too, but thats a pipe dream for sure.  No way would that fly.  But i figure a cat is a cat.  If i could set up an extra large bobcat style trap on that lion highway in my back yard i have to believe it would work.  It would also have the benefit of allowing more selective harvest, like hound hunting.  Give a guy a chance to take a real good close look at the animal to determine if it was one he wanted.  Of course, releasing a cat you didnt want would be a little sketchy.

@Humptulips

WSTA is taking the lead on that and has got *some* traction, or at least not a resounding NO! yet.
I think the current info on that is "wait until these new rules are done then maybe we'll think about it"

That topic has been broached, I'd let WSTA see what they can do with this and just wait for these new rules to shake out first before proposing new trapping rules which is really unrelated to big game hunting rules process.   

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 07:36:04 PM »
Well hell thats good news.  I did not include trapping in my letter, and have no intention of bringing it up with wdfw.  Im more focused on suggesting changes that i think could actually have a chance of being made.  But hey, if they did open up cougar trapping in a couple years, id have my license and get to making a couple big traps right off the bat.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 07:38:46 PM »
Cougar go in a cage just as well as any other cat, and some are caught every year in bobcat traps they managed to squeeze themselves into. 

Online Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 10:34:10 PM »
A few of my thoughts on cougar.
The population estimate is based on area. So many square miles contains so many cougar. Harvest targets are based on this population estimate but large parts of the State are not included e.g. National Parks, Tribal land, Hanford but these areas still produce cougars plus you have the 40% to 60% of the PMAs that are under harvested. Where do all the surplus cougars in those areas go? A lot of them wander into PMAs that meet harvest targets and are closed early. Weilgus (I know everybody hates him) concluded that hunter harvest had no effect on cougar populations because of this out migration of young cougar looking for territory.
These cougar should be taken into account and not ignored. Harvest targets should be increased because of this. Also the PMAs are too small. They need to be larger to account for migrating cougars filling in for harvested cougars. many PMAs never reach harvest targets because they are too remote. add their target numbers to areas that go over every year.
I actually think there should be maybe 10 PMAs in the State with target numbers to match. That keeps the season open longer and according to Weilgus' study any area will fill back in if over harvested.
Bango Skank touched on another thing I believe. Who cares abut an exact count? They should be managed by harvest trends. Hunter days afield per cougar harvested should tell you the direction the population is going over three years. It's a cinch you will never wipe out the cougars without hounds. They couldn't do it when they had hounds and traps year round with bounties.
You can legally trap cougar in two States, bear in one. Why not WA?
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand