Advertisement

Poll

Lion hunting reg poll

I have sent emails to wdfw requesting increased lion hunting opportunity
55 (70.5%)
I have no intention of sending emails, i really dont care
23 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Official notice that lion changes are on the table for 2020  (Read 38050 times)

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Official notice that lion changes are on the table for 2020
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2019, 02:29:12 PM »
That may work in other states but it sure wont work in n.e. wa.   

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2019, 03:11:15 PM »
I had a meeting with staff about trapping issues but the Large carnivore section manager was there. We have been talking about a trapping season for cougar.
Not happening if WDFW has their way. <--- that sucks  >:(

She did say an end to all recreational hunting of cougar was on the table so I just want emphasize how important it is to get your comments in.

You can be sure the animal rights people are writing.

:yike:   so stupid!!

please write in folks!!

It only takes a few minutes to write an email.

Commission@dfw.wa.gov
Director@dfw.wa.gov
Wildthing@dfw.wa.gov

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2019, 03:12:36 PM »
That may work in other states but it sure wont work in n.e. wa.

:yeah:

social tolerance is pretty much zero and going lower  :chuckle:

In my letter to the commission, director and wildthing I wrote about helping out the canadian lynx in the lynx recovery zones,  cougars are hell on lynx.   fishers can take out a lynx. 

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2019, 03:23:43 PM »
28 emails now! We need lots more folks.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline kodiak10

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2019, 03:25:24 PM »
To clarify, I posted the study because I thought it could be used as a good source to justify more hunting of cougars.

The mechanism suggested in the study is that the younger individuals take up the territory near civilization in areas of so called "heavy hunting". If hunting could actually be conducted without the quota system, then I would imagine that harvest would increase, and the critters would outright avoid the area.

But with the current system of low harvest, I can see some merit to the idea that it would in fact increase the conflict by flooding younger more aggressive animals into the area.  Just my  :twocents:

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2019, 03:28:26 PM »
Without being able to use hounds this discussion is pointless. Oregon has done a decent job tracking numbers and doing studies. The only answer they've found that works is hiring houndsmen to kill lions in areas where deer populations risk collapse. Yeah Oregon isn't Washington, but they're not all that different.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2019, 03:32:43 PM »
Without being able to use hounds this discussion is pointless. Oregon has done a decent job tracking numbers and doing studies. The only answer they've found that works is hiring houndsmen to kill lions in areas where deer populations risk collapse. Yeah Oregon isn't Washington, but they're not all that different.

I disagree.  Run the season august 1st through april 30th with no harvest quotas, plus the option of a 2nd cougar tag, and we will definitely see an increase in harvest.
  And with them saying a complete closure of cougar hunting is on the table, sending emails supporting cougar hunting isnt only not pointless, its absolutely critical.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 03:49:16 PM by Bango skank »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2019, 03:35:36 PM »
To clarify, I posted the study because I thought it could be used as a good source to justify more hunting of cougars.

The mechanism suggested in the study is that the younger individuals take up the territory near civilization in areas of so called "heavy hunting". If hunting could actually be conducted without the quota system, then I would imagine that harvest would increase, and the critters would outright avoid the area.

But with the current system of low harvest, I can see some merit to the idea that it would in fact increase the conflict by flooding younger more aggressive animals into the area.  Just my  :twocents:

I see what you're saying, and don't disagree.  Here was my letter:

All,

I'm addressing you all about concerns to proposed changes to mountain lion hunting,  I am a lion hunter, each winter I spend 10-15 days hunting mt lion.  I can tell you that calling lions isn't all that difficult really, its calling in the right lion and getting a shot that's difficult. 

As we all know it is difficult to hunt lion by our current methods and most of the lions taken (the great bulk of lions) are taken as a by-product of hunting other species and is completely randomized.  These lions taken can only be counted as surplus lions and easily replaced by next years batch of kits.

Being that the huge majority of lions taken in Washington are very randomized, most of the current studies about cats being "self regulating" doesn't fit our hunting circumstances, we simply don't (can't) target those large dominant Toms.  Washington hunters are mostly killing younger surplus lions that a large tom either drove out, or would kill eventually anyways. 

My main concern isn't the "self regulating population of lions"; but the declining deer/elk herds.

If Washington hunters can "help" get rid of surplus lions and those big hunter wary toms are likewise killing younger lions, I think it can only help deer/elk herds and at least in areas I hunt would also give the Canadian Lynx a fighting chance if they aren't mauled by Cougars.

Limiting lion hunting even more will also have a profound effect on social tolerance of all predators and WDFW.

My recommendation is to get rid of quota's and tags and do coyote hunting rules.  Without hounds, traps and other more successful means of hunting... Washington hunters will never be able to make a measurable dent in the population, yet social tolerance will be improved and perhaps deer/elk numbers in heavily lion impacted areas will also improve. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2019, 03:38:40 PM »
I realize we'll never see "coyote rules" but that's what we need!

Offline kodiak10

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2019, 04:04:58 PM »
sent my email.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2019, 06:32:35 PM »

If cougar trapping were allowed we could put the hurt on them. They readily go into a cage trap. The beauty of the idea is unlike hound hunting this can be done without going through the Legislature. All the Commission would need to do is change cougars status to  dual Big Game/ Furbearer.
Who wouldn't want to catch a cougar? :dunno: I might turn the lot of you into trappers. :chuckle:
Bruce Vandervort

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2019, 06:45:00 PM »
In a heartbeat  :tup:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2019, 06:47:31 PM »
Unfortunately, my guess would be that we should be arguing to keep what we have as this smells of a reduction rather than WDFW looking to increase opportunity.

I'm afraid that assuming the increase in interactions with people and livestock leading to actively managing the cats down is going to lead to disappointment when we see what is really going on behind the scenes.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2019, 07:11:34 PM »

I see what you're saying, and don't disagree.  Here was my letter:

All,

I'm addressing you all about concerns to proposed changes to mountain lion hunting,  I am a lion hunter, each winter I spend 10-15 days hunting mt lion.  I can tell you that calling lions isn't all that difficult really, its calling in the right lion and getting a shot that's difficult. 

As we all know it is difficult to hunt lion by our current methods and most of the lions taken (the great bulk of lions) are taken as a by-product of hunting other species and is completely randomized.  These lions taken can only be counted as surplus lions and easily replaced by next years batch of kits.

Being that the huge majority of lions taken in Washington are very randomized, most of the current studies about cats being "self regulating" doesn't fit our hunting circumstances, we simply don't (can't) target those large dominant Toms.  Washington hunters are mostly killing younger surplus lions that a large tom either drove out, or would kill eventually anyways. 

My main concern isn't the "self regulating population of lions"; but the declining deer/elk herds.

If Washington hunters can "help" get rid of surplus lions and those big hunter wary toms are likewise killing younger lions, I think it can only help deer/elk herds and at least in areas I hunt would also give the Canadian Lynx a fighting chance if they aren't mauled by Cougars.

Limiting lion hunting even more will also have a profound effect on social tolerance of all predators and WDFW.

My recommendation is to get rid of quota's and tags and do coyote hunting rules.  Without hounds, traps and other more successful means of hunting... Washington hunters will never be able to make a measurable dent in the population, yet social tolerance will be improved and perhaps deer/elk numbers in heavily lion impacted areas will also improve. 

That is a well written letter. 2c

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw