Advertisement

Poll

Lion hunting reg poll

I have sent emails to wdfw requesting increased lion hunting opportunity
55 (70.5%)
I have no intention of sending emails, i really dont care
23 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Official notice that lion changes are on the table for 2020  (Read 38039 times)

Online Wsucoug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Official notice that lion changes are on the table for 2020
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2019, 08:56:17 PM »
I was doing some research on the subject this weekend. Found an article from this year

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/magazine/whos-afraid-of-the-big-bad-wolf-scientist.amp.html

Does anyone actually have access to these studies in their raw form.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2019, 09:32:35 PM »
As more and more of Washington state is developed, cougars struggle to survive on the outskirts of human society.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2019, 11:44:42 AM »
The plot thickens...  i sort of felt like anis aoude was intentionally vague, maybe intentionally avoiding directly answering the specific question of depredation removals that are tagged by the landowner.  The same day that i put the question to anis aoude i also emailed our district biologist, and she very clearly and directly answered that question.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2019, 11:57:29 AM »
Im going to be raising a stink about this.  As much as i hate to see these animals get dumped in a pit and wasted, if allowing the landowner to tag them means they will count toward the harvest guideline, then they need to either change that policy, or stop allowing the landowner to keep them.  Hell, even aside from dogs being an illegal method of take, putting your tag on an animal killed by somebody else sounds like party hunting to me.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 12:04:36 PM by Bango skank »

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2019, 01:11:29 PM »
Im going to be raising a stink about this.  As much as i hate to see these animals get dumped in a pit and wasted, if allowing the landowner to tag them means they will count toward the harvest guideline, then they need to either change that policy, or stop allowing the landowner to keep them.  Hell, even aside from dogs being an illegal method of take, putting your tag on an animal killed by somebody else sounds like party hunting to me.
First bango I would like to say your right about the quota , and cougar removals.

As far as cougar management I'm gonna keep my opinion to myself.But will say they should of never started a quota system period.They have kinda put there foot in there mouth .With our governor we are stuck with.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2019, 01:28:32 PM »
Thanks for pursuing this bango, agree if WDFW is involved it shoudnt be a quota no matter the outcome.

And yes hunter399, quotas are stupid.

Its my opinion that mt lions connot be hunted below a reasonable objective with the tools available to hunters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Online Wsucoug

• Hunter
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2019, 01:36:31 PM »
Has anyone ever read this article before?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/is-cougar-hunting-breeding-chaos/

The point i want to make from the article is: "Before 1996, hunters killed an average of 156 cougars a year. Since the initiative, the harvest rate increased more than 40 percent, to an average of 225 animals a year."

The initiative is the hound hunting ban. I feel if we can get back to a two bag limit and extended season,  the ship can be corrected.

I will also add that there was a total of 376 cougars killed last year.  Goes to show just how many cats are out there right now.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/management/game-harvest/2018/cougar

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2019, 01:41:26 PM »
If I had dogs and unlimited tags.....Well id be a whole lot more successful than now lol

Other than bango, no one makes it look easy.

Just the fact that boot hunters are killing more lions than they did in the days of hounds,  shows how outta wack lions are

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2019, 02:16:51 PM »
Has anyone ever read this article before?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/is-cougar-hunting-breeding-chaos/

The point i want to make from the article is: "Before 1996, hunters killed an average of 156 cougars a year. Since the initiative, the harvest rate increased more than 40 percent, to an average of 225 animals a year."

The initiative is the hound hunting ban. I feel if we can get back to a two bag limit and extended season,  the ship can be corrected.

I will also add that there was a total of 376 cougars killed last year.  Goes to show just how many cats are out there right now.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/management/game-harvest/2018/cougar
I'm not sure if the amount of cats had went up.As much as more cats are being pushed into pockets and areas that are not the normal.Same goes with deer and elk they are being pushed closer to people off of public lands etc.wolves and coyotes are changing the eco-system at least here in the northeast.Where there are abundant wolves everywhere eles abundant coyotes.The only place to go is where the deer-goat-horse-cow etc. is.Quotas have pushed us as hunters to fill them ,come Jan 1 people look at them and go hunt knowing it's about to close.
Quotas always seem to be higher around gmu closer to cities ,public safety ,ect.
My biggest fear is we will follow California just like our gun laws Hunting for lions will be banned.At some point.WDFW will over harvest just like every other species it will get banned never to come back.WDFW have a pretty good history of giving out to many permits,tags,ect.To only take it away years later.
I think the quotas are stupid,I believe they should of just reduced the season by a month and end cougar season March 1 or Feb 1 or just reduced or lengthen the season from a year to year basis on harvest reports ect.
But know we are stuck with quotas , So it makes it very important that they stick to the harvest guidelines they put fourth , cause we will go down that Californian road.

These are all thoery on cougar. :tinfoil:
I will not argue about it ,it's just a crackpot ramble good for nothing,so please share how you feel about it, right or wrong I really don't care.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:26:38 PM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2019, 03:21:17 PM »
For now i sent another email making an informal request with wdfw for the numbers of depredation removals in stevens, ferry, p.o. counties, by unit,  that have been tagged by landowners this year and counted toward the harvest quota.  I also asked if allowing landowners to keep the csts is a new policy, or if this has been going on in previous years, as i have never heard of it happening until this year.
 We should have this info for all units, i know, but for now im focusing locally so as to be less work retrieving the information, and to be able to go through our local wdfw personnell rather than the numbskulls in olympia.  My guess is that they dont even keep track of that information.  If thats the case, ill be making noise about that too, and hope some folks on here will help me with said noise making.  Ill report back when i get a reply that will undoubtedly be a disappointment. 
  Ya know, maybe if they cared about the almost universal distrust of the department by the public they could start operating with a bit of honesty and transparency. 
  As hunters, we cover a larger portion of their operating costs through license fees than the non hunting public does.  We deserve to know what is going on.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:37:14 PM by Bango skank »

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2019, 04:07:35 PM »
Oh boy.  Got some good and some bad, and im not even done reading through it all yet.
  First the good:  in the new lion proposal, they are suggesting not counting cats under 24 months of age toward the harvest guideline.  This is good, and is only rational since those cats dont count toward our estimated population.  However, tooth aging doesnt occur that fast, so the age would be left to the determination / interpretation of whoever checks in the cat.  I dont trust them all not to have their own agenda.  One local wdfw officer i know of is very much against killing cougars.

Now the bad.  And its really bad.  I believe it would nearly eliminate all hunter harvest, exascerbating our cougar overpopulation problem. :  one proposal "to increase hunter opportunity by allowing cougar season to stay open through april" is to NOT OPEN COUGAR SEASON UNTIL AFTER GENERAL DEER AND ELK SEASONS to remove incidental harvest, so thst dedicated lion hunters can have all winter.  How many people are actually out in the winter targeting lions?  Dont get me wrong, i want more opportunity, but the single most important thing is to get lions killed, to try to somewhat keep our population in check.  Pretty much all lion kills are incidental.  This is a HORRIBLE idea, and if anybody here cares sbout deer or elk hunting, you damn well better start raising hell about this now.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »
 :bash:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2019, 04:12:45 PM »
Temove incidental harvest and that would imilinate what,  98% of the harvest?

Wild guess on my part, but its gotta be super high!

Offline bigskyhounds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2019, 04:14:11 PM »
Just continues to get crazier all the time that is on of the craziest proposals I've heard.

So how bout this program to harass cats to get them to stop depredations. Are they going to continue this and have hunters out there and possibly being interfered with. Those cats that they harass may become darn near impossible to hunt after they're done. That's the goal to learn to avoid humans. Don't think it's a good idea, when we need to help our ungulates this doesn't do anything but possibly have a negative impact.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2019, 04:14:15 PM »
Yeah thats brutal. Most guys I know that have shot one did so while sitting in stand waiting on deer :o

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]