collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Burger and Spicy Chicken Sandwich  (Read 1807 times)

Offline merkaba93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Elk Burger and Spicy Chicken Sandwich
« on: September 01, 2019, 09:21:28 PM »
So I've been working on perfecting a brioche bun. Finally got it figured out so needed to make a elk burger. And why not a spicy chicken sandwich too.
Since I made the bun I figured I'd try to make the rest from scratch too. Lettuce, tomato, potato (chips), lactofermented pickles all from the garden. Homemade ketchup, mustard, and garlic aioli. Homemade bacon.
Maybe a bit overboard, but I did cheat a bit. The hot sauce was CJs and the cheddar was Tillamook.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 09:28:43 PM by merkaba93 »
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

Offline shmacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
Re: Elk Burger and Spicy Chicken Sandwich
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 09:35:47 PM »
Good lord those look good!

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 10:01:43 PM »
That all looks amazing!
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 05:33:50 AM »
That looks so tasty!   :kneel:
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline CLARKTAR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 06:23:01 AM »
What is pot thing you are fryin chicken in? Did you use chicken breasts? Pound them at all? What the breading mixture?

My fried chicken has always turned out poor....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 09:14:23 AM »
What is pot thing you are fryin chicken in? Did you use chicken breasts? Pound them at all? What the breading mixture?

It's a 12 in Finex cast iron. What I like about it to fry with is that since it has 8 sides (polygon?) that you can purposefully have the lid off center and it will allow steam to escape. You usually don't want to fry with a lid on, it will not allow the food to crisp up as much because of the steam, however oil is going to spatter all over your range. This is a good compromise and it works.

As for the fried chicken. Pretty simple, boneless skinless thigh, hammered out. Then put in a buttermilk and hot sauce marinade overnight. Then remove and shake off excess buttermilk then add to a dredge of 50/50 mix of flour and corn starch then paprika, pepper, salt, cayenne (sorry I don't really measure). Tap the meat to get the excess dredge off. Then fry for about 3 min a side (if your oil is 350-375), I usually check the internal temp just to make sure it's all cooked. Let the meat rest a few min.

Honestly the garlic aioli I was pretty stoked about too. Not sure if people would be interesting in trying it out?

Offline CLARKTAR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 03:14:14 PM »

It's a 12 in Finex cast iron. What I like about it to fry with is that since it has 8 sides (polygon?) that you can purposefully have the lid off center and it will allow steam to escape. You usually don't want to fry with a lid on, it will not allow the food to crisp up as much because of the steam, however oil is going to spatter all over your range. This is a good compromise and it works.

As for the fried chicken. Pretty simple, boneless skinless thigh, hammered out. Then put in a buttermilk and hot sauce marinade overnight. Then remove and shake off excess buttermilk then add to a dredge of 50/50 mix of flour and corn starch then paprika, pepper, salt, cayenne (sorry I don't really measure). Tap the meat to get the excess dredge off. Then fry for about 3 min a side (if your oil is 350-375), I usually check the internal temp just to make sure it's all cooked. Let the meat rest a few min.

Honestly the garlic aioli I was pretty stoked about too. Not sure if people would be interesting in trying it out?
Send me the garlic alilio recipe. I want to make these sandwiches this weekend! What is the ratio for the marinade?

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 05:00:18 PM »
Garlic Aioli
So you're going to want to get pasteurized eggs, which supposedly you can buy in a store, which I've never been able to find personally. Or you can use a sous vide machine to do it. Or if you're not worried about getting sick then just use raw egg yoke. The risk is minimal, but still, I brought up raw salmon on here once and things got all sorts of spicy.
This is what I did:
Pasteurize 2 eggs (set sous vide to 135 cook eggs (whole while in shell) for 2 hours, chill in ice water 20 min)

Add 2 yolks, 1 tbs water, 1 tbs lemon juice, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 2 cloves crushed garlic*, pinch of salt and pepper to the food processor. Pulse until mixed. For the crushed garlic you can do one of two things: crush with the side of the knife, with your palm, dice, then add a pinch of salt, crush and dice again, while you're crushing you sliding the face of the knife as you go), or just use a pestle and mortar, 2 cloves pinch of salt and hammer away.

Take 1.5 cups oil (corn or grapeseed oil or a mix of the two)I personally use 1 cup corn oil and 0.5 cup grapeseed oil. Place in a squirt bottle, (like a ketchup bottle) add slowly while the food processor motor is running.

As for the buttermilk just use enough to cover up the chicken in a plastic bag, about a cup, but depends on how much chicken you're making. At least 1/4 cup hot sauce.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU