collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another high buck hunt gear thread.  (Read 13581 times)

Offline Highhuntin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Another high buck hunt gear thread.
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2019, 10:45:40 AM »
Once you carry a spotting scope on a high hunt and come back whining about your pack weight you may think things about spotting scopes.   I know one time I toted in an old style transistor radio that took 8-12 D batteries as I wanted to listen to the UW-BYU football game.  Later on upon reflection I wasn't happy with how the game went for UW, nor did I ever want to carry a radio again.

If I still went on the high hunt I'd be happy with a pair of good binos and upon spotting a good deer, hiking closer for better evaluation.  Binos will let you know how good a deer is at 800 yards.

Thank you for the input… This is what I’m hoping to hear LOL it will lighten my pack!  I could care less about inches but I’m not going to shoot a dink in the high country either, it would have to be a mature four-point or something interesting

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2019, 11:02:25 AM »
I’m taking my BTX95 to Region G on Friday...
ok now your bragging. I hope I don’t run into you on another hunt. The last time it cost me over 3k. I would hate to look through that crappy glass! :chuckle:

For real!!! He’s Prob cost me double that the past few years,  love hunting with him hate looking into his gear bag 🤬
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Cervus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »
Skip the spotter, but bring your tripod and binos with an adaptor so you can secure them, pan, etc. Glassing off the tripod is a useful compromise: I am always amazed how well I can pick out obscured/bedded deer with just 10x magnification once the binos are on a solid platform.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2019, 12:19:22 PM »
I could care less about inches but I’m not going to shoot a dink in the high country either, it would have to be a mature four-point or something interesting

If you find a legal "dink" pm me the location, k?   :chuckle:

More seriously, leave the spotter behind if you want a lighter load, but don't leave the tripod.  Binos + tripod is non-negotiable for me.  You'll see 100x more stuff with the tripod than without. 

Offline Highhuntin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2019, 04:24:01 PM »
I could care less about inches but I’m not going to shoot a dink in the high country either, it would have to be a mature four-point or something interesting

If you find a legal "dink" pm me the location, k?   :chuckle:

More seriously, leave the spotter behind if you want a lighter load, but don't leave the tripod.  Binos + tripod is non-negotiable for me.  You'll see 100x more stuff with the tripod than without.

Lol I am far from a trophy hunter but I am not planning on packing a basket rack 3 pt out 7 miles! (Will see if I can stick to that if time comes).... can’t eat the horns so I make no promisise of a 2x3 stand in front of me!

I think you guys have me convinced to just go tripod and binos but now to find a mount locally...

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2019, 04:49:50 PM »
Skip the spotter, but bring your tripod and binos with an adaptor so you can secure them, pan, etc. Glassing off the tripod is a useful compromise: I am always amazed how well I can pick out obscured/bedded deer with just 10x magnification once the binos are on a solid platform.

:yeah: I agree 100% if you are worried about weight and have to choose I would bring a compact tripod and a Bino adapter. I was amazed when I started putting my bino's on a tripod and an adapter. once you do this will always be a part of every trip and you will spot more than without the tripod. I have a pair of Swaro 15-56's on the want list and this would be great in place of a spotter when trying to go lite.   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 04:57:04 PM by M_ray »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »
Once you carry a spotting scope on a high hunt and come back whining about your pack weight you may think things about spotting scopes.   I know one time I toted in an old style transistor radio that took 8-12 D batteries as I wanted to listen to the UW-BYU football game.  Later on upon reflection I wasn't happy with how the game went for UW, nor did I ever want to carry a radio again.

If I still went on the high hunt I'd be happy with a pair of good binos and upon spotting a good deer, hiking closer for better evaluation.  Binos will let you know how good a deer is at 800 yards.

Was that the one when Jake Locker got flagged for celebration for mildly spiking the ball in? If so, I remember that game. Terrible.
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2019, 08:30:16 PM »
I’m going to bring my 10-42’s and my 15-56’s and the tripod this next trip I think.  Gonna leave the spotter at home. We’ll see how that feels. Hopefully I don’t feel like I went to school without my pants on.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2019, 09:25:37 PM »
Google "Mountain forecast" and pick the nearest mountain peak to your hunt. You can select the elevation you want as well. Most accurate forecast for the backcountry, bar none.

You won't regret having a spotter, although it's not looking like Sunday/Monday will be particularly conducive for long range glassing.

Have fun and enjoy the suck.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2019, 09:44:25 PM »
Just checked the forecast. Probably gonna wait to go out till Monday.  Rain sucks
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2019, 04:43:17 AM »
Rain is a good thing
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline archerykraze

• Hunter
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2019, 04:54:58 AM »
I’m going to bring my 10-42’s and my 15-56’s and the tripod this next trip I think.  Gonna leave the spotter at home. We’ll see how that feels. Hopefully I don’t feel like I went to school without my pants on.

I like this idea. I've always brought in just my 10X42's and this year I went with the 12X50's. They are a little heavier but this will be interesting since I've hunted 10X42's for over 20 years now.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2019, 08:43:00 AM »
Rain is a good thing

:yeah:

Less hunters, and the deer couldn't care less.  Glassing can be harder though... 

Offline Devenk89

• Pilgrim
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2019, 03:03:34 PM »
Roger that, way rather have the rain than the heat! I just hope it's clear enough to glass.

For you guys complaining about weight, Buy my Vortex Razor 11-33x50mm spotting scope for $500, it weighs nothing! I'll be taking my 65mm Razor with me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]